Dream Theater (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe it will require another listen or 2, just didn't sound all that impressive in some sections of songs to me.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Dream Theater

By the way, Dream Theater has released the first single "On The Backs Of Angels" from their upcoming album "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" (An appropriate title considering the lose of Mike Portnoy) yesterday. I think it's pretty good actually which is a relief because I was worried how the songwriting and lyrics were going to fair without Mr. Portnoy. As far as the drumming goes though I don't think Mike Mangin has same chemistry with the rest of the band but that's to be expected really. He does a good job though. :grinthumb

It's a good way to kick off their new album (which is coming out on September 13th), and I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Yeah really good!! I can't wait!!!

:grinthumb :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've just got a copy of the New album...haven't listened to it yet but should be interesting now that Portnoy has left. According to what Petrucci was quoted as saying, Portnoy wanted DT to take a 5 year break from touring/recording, sort of like Tool does all the time. Anyway the others after talking it over couldn't agree to do that, felt it would hurt the band too much so Mike quit. His leaving devastated his friends, but once they got over the shock they found a compatible drummer and carried on.

Anyway I am going to play the new album tonight or tomorrow and I'll let you know what I think then.:D

23u93cx.jpg

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
A 5 year break? Well that would make much more sense then. Considering how "Black Cloud & Silver Linings" debuted at #6 without the help of a hit single or any radio airplay I could completely understand why the band wouldn't want to squander that kind of momentum. I mean, how many other albums out there are debuting in the top ten on the Billboard charts without at least a minor hit on them? How about this; how many bands out there are earning their first top ten album nearly twenty years after their only hit came out? None that I know of.
I can understand that with the 30 bands that Mike Portnoy is in it can be quite draining and Dream Theater have been going nonstop for over two decades but the band is at an all time high in popularity and it would be a shame to let that go to waste.

Also, I did not notice this until you posted the large picture, LG, but that rope is broken. That's not good. :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are right Cosmic I didn't notice it on the thumbnail at first, but that was a PNG 2 meg cover I uploaded...I hope it's not a portent of something bad happening...;)

And as far as the 5 year break, Mike had to know that was not going to fly. So even though it might seem like there was a chance to keep DT together he had already left the day he asked them to sacrifice that much time from a band they have invested so much of their lives in.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ill give the album a second chance actually, after listening to a really boring album just now I wanna get the Dream Theater record and see how I go again.

joe

Reaction score
After one listen, I'm not very impressed. Need to give 'er a couple more listens. Some of tracks sound like the band is trying to be Queen. Labrie's vocals on a couple of the tracks remind me of Freddie Mercury. There's something missing. Not sure what it is yet. Too polished maybe(?). Too robotic(?).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I've played it once myself, and I have to give it at least 2-3 more listens before I can say anything.

It is very well produced, the sound quality is top notch...the rest I'll be back when it's found it's niche in my DT collection.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online