Dream Theater (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I know for a fact I am now....Best Buy has it on sale along with Cooper...grabbin' both! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah big day for us...listening to Cooper still now...and I do have my Dream Theater. Will spin it in a bit here. :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Yeah big day for us...listening to Cooper still now...and I do have my Dream Theater. Will spin it in a bit here. :grinthumb

You're going to enjoy it. First time through was pretty enjoyable for me personally. It got better as I listened to it more.

joe

Reaction score
I've read comparisons to Images And Words. I don't hear that all. Comparison's to Scenes From A Memory. Somewhat in that DT has incorporated more of thier tear drop, lush pompous prog since Scenes. ADTOE doesn't come close to Scenes IMO. Not the heart and soul felt on Scenes.

This album sounds like a split between thier previous three albums and Scenes/Six Degrees. Really, nothing new. It's DT. Of course the musicianship is excellent although some parts the complexity is overbearing. Petrucci riffs are fantastic but at times wander off to wankery. The keys don't work on the prog-metal tracks with the heavy guitar riffs with the synthetic Styx like sound. A heavy handed Hammond would be much more suited IMO.

Where's the drums? Mangini has been smothered. Maybe Portnoy had some type of clause in his contract that his replacement be irrelevent.

DT has to be one of the most polarizing bands in metal. Definitely in prog-metal. Love 'em or hate 'em. I'm neither. I consider myself a centrist.

Maybe DT will do something different next album. It's becoming tiresome. Take a risk, like Opeth. If someone wants to hear something refreshing in prog-metal, check out Leprous' last two releases, 'Tall Poppy Syndrome' and 'Bilateral' from this year.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I had more of when I listened the second time was patience, progressive metal requires a lot of that, I enjoy DT new record now.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
So I can put my two cents in now. I love it...it's really good. Everything I expected and more.

But I do agree about the drums...they are played very well and too quiet when compared to other DT albums. So either it's to not show up Portnoy or Portnoy always made them louder for himself when he was in the band...and the new Mike is just goin' with the flow.

:confused:

There is alot of great double bass work that could have been up more to be more punchy. But otherwise it's a great CD!!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tell you what after my 3rd listen, Beneath the Surface, On the Backs of Angels are my 2 favourite songs, my favourite of the 10 plus minute affairs is Bridges in the Sky.
The various sounds in this album are just amazing, piano I hear in a lot of the songs too, some really good variety there. This album will get a video review from me when I am back home.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tnfkdg

Staff online

Members online