Doobie Brothers (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Amazing how they make a song from 1972 sound more like classic Doobies than it did originally.

One of their best "unknown" songs along with:

Oddly enough, by the time I started listening to radio, it was already the Michael McDonald era, and I remember some of those songs fondly, but I think the classic era is far better.

I saw the Doobies at a summerfest concert about 10 years ago, and they put on a full length show that was incredible.

Everyone always thinks of ELO'***** song instead of the Doobies Evil Woman but nice to see someone else who knows that old tune.:D

Definitely a massive change in the Doobies when McDonald joined, but I like Takin' It To The Streets, Living On The Fault Line and Minute By Minute. It depends on the mood I'm in if I play early Tom Johnston era stuff or the McDonald albums.

Never got why the Doobies were dismissed by so many critics back in the day, they were a great band one of my favorites of the 70's period.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
The Captain & Me was a phenomenal album, one of those "once in a career" albums any band is lucky to have.

I like that they consider any former member to still be a member. Michael McDonald sits in with them any time they're in his neck of the woods.

They don't have the acrimony a lot of other bands do towards "former" members.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^For me it will always be "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits", that is a perfect 10/10.

If I recall what happened back in the mid 70's, Tom Johnston was sick and also wanted to spend time at home with his family. I didn't know Michael joins them when they play in his stomping grounds which is cool, as you said nice to see a band enjoying life without any baggage.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I just stumbled into this really cool slap-bass cover of Long Train Running

I dunno guys, I thought this was a pretty righteous and upbeat way of playing the song that really works with it. My only complaint is that he's using what sounds like some karaoke verison with vocals. But his jammin' is awesome.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll be back later and give it a listen, but I'm not a bassist Snoopy just a fan of the instrument.:)

Lynch

Reaction score
LG: it's pretty wicked. It kinda tails off in the last minute of the song, but the first 3 minutes or more he's very strong and I can definitely say it's the coolest rendition I've ever heard. I wish more guys played bass like that.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He is talented no doubt, but as you said the background track is not the greatest.

He'll be in a band one day and it's good to see someone his age playing one of the old classics.

Lynch

Reaction score
He is talented no doubt, but as you said the background track is not the greatest.

He'll be in a band one day and it's good to see someone his age playing one of the old classics.

Not just playing one cool old/classic track, but playing it with zest and injecting a lot oomph into it. I've seen a number of people play stuff in youtube videos that they are playing it well, but they also may as well be sleeping. This cat threw some obvious enthusiasm into it. I dunno, I thought it was pretty damn cool.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online