Doobie Brothers (Official Thread)

Reaction score
The Doobie Brothers

bab0545.jpg

Doobie Brothers Official Website

The band formed in 1969, in San Jose California. The original line up consisted of Tom Johnston, Patrick Simmons, Dave Shogren, and John Harrtment. They were originally named "Pud". Thankfully their notorious, consistent love for "doobies" was pointed out to them, and they changed their name accordingly.

They have southern influences, tex-mex influences, country, and R&B influences all mixed in with their sound. They have always been known for an exceptional horns section as well. They went through a good number of line up changes; one included the guitarist(and multi-instrumentalist) Jeff "Skunk" Baxter(known for his work with Steely Dan at that time). The other major line up change, the addition of singer and pianist Micheal McDonald, had a great effect on the sound of the Doobies. They eventually did return to their original sound.

They released 13 albums since their first, S/T, album from 1971 to 2010, when they released World Gone Crazy. They are still rocking hard, and strong today

Albums!
The Doobie Brothers (1971)
Toulouse Street (1972)
The Captain and Me (1973)
What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (1974)
Stampede (1975)
Takin' It to the Streets (1976)
Livin' on the Fault Line (1977)
Minute by Minute (1978)
One Step Closer (1980)
Cycles (1989)
Brotherhood (1991)
Sibling Rivalry (2000)
World Gone Crazy (2010)

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Official Doobie Brothers Thread

I loved the Doobie Brothers and never understood the stick they took from so many critics and fans over the years.

The Doobie Brothers (1971)
Toulouse Street (1972)
The Captain and Me (1973)
What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (1974)
Stampede (1975)
Takin' It to the Streets (1976)
Livin' on the Fault Line (1977)
Minute by Minute (1978)
One Step Closer (1980)
Cycles (1989)
World Gone Crazy (2010)

Those are the albums I have, well one is an old vinyl and the other is on cassette but I liked both versions, the Tom Johnston era, and the Michael McDonald era...I know many feel the band went downhill when McDonald joined but I enjoyed them right up to "One Step Closer",,,that is where I stopped for a long time.

Inherited "Cycles" from my Mom, and picked up the newest album but only listened to it once...can't make a useful comment on it yet.

Reaction score

I like the new album a lot!

It's got the classic, early 70's Doobies' sound that you'd expect, but it sounds pretty fresh.. it doesn't sound like a cry back to their glory days, it does sound new, which is a good thing:D

I have What Once Were Vices on vinyl, Toulouse Street on CD, and Livin' On the Fault Line on vinyl.. It took me a while to appreciate Toulouse Street for some reason, and Vices I liked right away.. I still don't really like Micheal McDonald with the Doobies, I've heard him solo and liked him, but it just doesn't sound like a match to me:heheh:
I'll give them album another try though..

I also like Stampede a lot, but don't own it yet:grinthumb

61YkVQ1qD0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

not the greatest quality, but pretty cool footage:confused:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I really liked Living on the Fault Line...a totally different sounding album for them and there was no denying McDonald had arrived in force.

I listen to both eras of the band for different reasons, the early hard rockin' stuff is great, and so is the pop/r&b flavour of the later era.

Stampede grew on me, and now I love that album a lot, it's like their homage to country rock in a way, at least that is how I look at it.

Reaction score

I really liked Living on the Fault Line...a totally different sounding album for them and there was no denying McDonald had arrived in force.

I listen to both eras of the band for different reasons, the early hard rockin' stuff is great, and so is the pop/r&b flavour of the later era.

Stampede grew on me, and now I love that album a lot, it's like their homage to country rock in a way, at least that is how I look at it.
Probably why I like it so much:heheh:
I was a bit bummed when they didn't have a copy of it..
I'll give Livin' On the Fault Line another try.. It's actually one of the best condition ones I have:heheh:

Reaction score

A couple classics from Toulouse Street:grinthumb

Listen to the Music from the Midnight Special 1973

Rockin' Down the Highway

Fever

Reaction score

Lara Johnston,daughter of Tom Johnston, was on American Idol last night.She made it through to the Hollywood round.I am not quite sure why she decided to do the show.She has been doing her own shows and plays with the Doobies occasionally.
A few years ago she was on a show called Rock The Cradle,where kids of singers competed.The daughters of Joe Walsh,Eddie Money and Olivia Newton-John were also on Rock The Cradle as was Dee Snider's son.

Lara Johnston

Reaction score

I'd much rather listen to Tom, but she has some serious talent!:grinthumb

Cool stuff, Fever!

Fever

Reaction score

I would rather listen to Tom too.In fact first concert I ever went to was The Doobies back in 1977

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Never got to see them and Tom had left the band by the time I was going to concerts regularly. Still it's great to see him singing with his daughter, she has talent.:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online