Does This Artist Improve This Radiohead Song?

Does the Radiohead cover improve the song?

• Total voters

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K., this is a little mini-rant/poll as I have a lead-in To go with everything. I'm not here to bash Radiohead. I have songs I like by them and songs where the roots of the song are good. I do like plenty of off kilter vocalist myself. Still, I would never put certain ones in an official best vocalist list especially a top five. I can understand people thinking Radiohead's song structures are creative and great! That's opinion and I'm usually very open about that. VERY open! However, I saw a guy on a pop culture site I frequent put Thom Yorke in a list of the top 5 singing voices of all time. He put Thom Yorke on a list where he was in the middle spot between Freddie Mercury, Janis Joplin and Jeff Tweedy, Jeff Buckley! :wtf: He described Yorkes vocal skills as being so otherwordly and amazing that it's like he was an alien! The only way I can see this is if he was saying that he had the vocals of this dude if he was singing:

1327352000-et.jpg

I love E.T. like the next guy but did anyone want a guy who sings like him. Anyway, all I'm saying is I don't think all their songs are bad at heart but when you love a band do you have to take the worst parts and still delusionally (Yes, I made that word up) hold them up to be the Holy Grail of everything! I don't want to troll but I had an experience where I found a Radiohead song I really thought I'd like when an artist covered it and looked up these live versions of Radiohead playing it and thought they ruined an awesome song......and it's there song! It wasn't just vocally either! I feel the cover gave the song the basics of what it needed and it had better use of melody, etc. I just discussed with my friend after playing these two exactly what comparisons we had with each vocalist besides just which one had a bad singing voice but I'll keep the details to myself. I won't vote since I'm biased at this point but I want to hear some productive discussion defending the original for my understanding or why the cover works! I think we have a balance of Radiohead fans and ones who don't understand their appeal to have a productive conversation of why one works over the other! :)

Radiohead-Idioteque

Obadiah Parker-Idioteque (Cover)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'll have to listen to the original Radiohead studio version again...but here?? The remake just sounds like a song. :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
From what I could tolerate of either video, the second band was way better; but that's not saying much.

That dude singing for the first band looked like he was having a fvking seizure or a little kid throwing a tantrum. That was horrible.

To be fair every song by Radiohead can be improved. :heheh:

@ Tomcat! :oyea: I agree and his breathing during the song is horrible IMO!

@ Nololob, do you have a preference between songs or a specific reason why you don't like any Radiohead?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well, I'll always defend YOKO ONO as a songwriter.

Many people don't like the way she sings and I think that clouds their opinions on the songs themselves.

Check out this cover of YOKO's "I'm Movin' On"

:grinthumb

Khor1255

Reaction score
Yoko and Radiohead, yes you've made a connection. Bravo.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am going to say yes. I am not a Radiohead fan, I don't care for the vocalist....................so yes the song was improved by adding a better vocalist. I also like the piano opening on the cover song.....very classy!

The studio version of Radiohead Idioteque has a "screeching" that is very annoying and the repetition is not flattering.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online