Does anyone know...?

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a USB turntable.. I tried to convince a friend of mine not to buy one and he did and he said it's junk.. He went out and bought a inport..:heheh:

I have an Ion and it worked fine for about fifteen recordings. Then it began to send loud static through my system and onto the file. Apparently the cables are not shielded well enough. And it doesn't like being plugged into my stereo system either. I never tried it with a cassette player running through.

The biggest thing is records are copied in real time. Be prepared to commit the time for each album.

I'm sure there are better USB components out now. I would have returned mine, but waited too long.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
There's Turntables with USB plugs on them, but I'm dubious about how good the sound quality is. For instance my folks old Hi-Fi with Turntable has a "Dolby Noise Reduction" button on it which you have on when you want to Record from Vinyl to Tape. It's this button which helps reduce the amount of Noise you get from Vinyl for when you want to record to Tape.

I suspect that if you want to try and get the most out of your records, to try and find a Turntable with USB Mp3 capability with a "Dolby Noise Reduction" facility - otherwise there will be a noticeable glare in the sound.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
You also need a good musicic program to work with. Mine came with Audacity and another I don't remember.I took the easy route and recorded entire album sides as a single cut.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
^^That's what I would do as well Thumper. My biggest complaint about the USB Turntables are the cartridge/stylus. I know I am not the only one who can tell the difference between a good quality one and a cheap one.

I would also add that if you are making WAV files, which is what I would do then a "Noise Removal" software program is nice to have. Some vinyl rips I have in my collection sound amazing, I sure wish I still had my vinyl collection intact.

I got an ION USB turntable and replaced the cartridge right away. I have no complaints. You can use the Audacity software to clean up and equalize the sound.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've seen those on sale here plenty of times TT, and I would do the same thing replace the cartridge right away. Still I like the ADS converter too, you simply connect the RCA output of your turntable to it and then hook it up to your PC and it accomplishes the same thing.

Whatever route anyone takes it is just a great way to save some Rare vinyl albums and burn a WAV CD, at least that is what I would do with mine.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craqdi

Staff online

Members online