Dire Straits (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Confirms my suspicions CP/M, you were rebel back in the day.:heheh:

I used to tell my Mom "If it's too loud...you're too old", but then I would end up turning down the volume just a couple notches.;)

You lot have piqued my curiosity about Alchemy, I'll have to give it a listen when I have time.

Well I probably had the volume at the same level and then got told to turn it down during "Sultans of Swing" which closes off the 1st CD. :D

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Just watching a documentary about 'Rock Brothers' and they got on to the Knopflers. The first album 'Dire Straits' came up and the production costs were......£12,500 :omg:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Mark grew up at the back of the Albion Lorry (truck) factory- and watched them being tested without a cab or rear body, just a seat bolted to the chassis.
The mystics of Scottish highway men and Reiver Albions blend quite well.

Agamemnon86

Reaction score
Some people have already shared their appreciation for the debut album; I would also like to do so. It was the first Dire Straits album I heard and it never fails to lift me up. It may not be "objectively" the best one, but it has a unique atmosphere, at least for me. My go-to.
Water of Love is my favourite, I could listen to it for hours

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Some people have already shared their appreciation for the debut album; I would also like to do so. It was the first Dire Straits album I heard and it never fails to lift me up. It may not be "objectively" the best one, but it has a unique atmosphere, at least for me. My go-to.
Water of Love is my favourite, I could listen to it for hours

I totally agree, and I think the understated production gives the first album a timeless quality, with the understated production allowing the performances and songs to shine. I'm especially fond of side two of the album, not just because of Sultans of Swing, as In The Gallery also has some of the album's most memorable guitar work, while Wild West End and Lions both have wonderfully evocative lyrics about London.

I would also recommend the Live at the BBC album released in the mid-1990s to fans of the debut album - with the exception of a later performance of Tunnel of Love (a slightly curious inclusion in the sense that it was not only recorded some time later but performed by a different line up), it mostly consists of live performances of the material from the first record from 1978, with six of the nine tracks included along with the previously unreleased What's The Matter Baby, which sounds a bit like Lady Writer from Communique.

As Water of Love has already been mentioned, I thought it would be a good song to post from the Live at the BBC (also, I really like the slide guitar on this version):

Water Of Love (Live at the BBC)

magnoliahippie23

Reaction score
I remember when I was about 12, my mom (who introduced me to good music) and I were arguing over what we thought the best music videos were. She showed me the music video for Romeo and Juliet, and that was the first time I head the Dire Straits. Not the best band in the world, but they had some good hits, and I have great memories with them!

E-Z

Reaction score
Mark has been reported in the British media this week (22nd November 2023) regards him selling about 120 of his guitars and amps in auction with the proceeds from the sale going to charity. Mark also said that even though he is selling all his guitars he will probably go out and buy another 120 guitars!!.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online