Devin Townsend: Strapping Young Lad/The Devin Townsend Band

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ocean Machine was a very enjoyable album to listen to. Becoming a bigger fan of Devin's work each time I hear an album of his.
I loved this years Epicloud album too.
Where We Belong

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
Oh, where do I start.

This guy, man. To me, this bald nerd from Canada who looks like Beaker from The Muppets is the epitome of artistic freedom. He's the Frank Zappa of Metal, & does whatever he wants musically & creatively, no matter how depraved, manic, or soft. For me, there is no greater singular artist in all of music. No matter what I'm in the mood for, he's done something in that style.

It's so hard to pick a favorite, but for me it's a toss up between Ziltoid & Ki.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Getting into the Addicted album at the moment. Sounds really cool with an interesting alternative yet very proggy edge to the music. But I did pick up some other Devin albums too that were just amazing.
Terria has some of his best work on it.
The Fluke

Universe in a Ball from Addicted

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I have sporadically attempted to listen to DT (solo), DTB and DTP and have yet to find a song that I can even listen to from start to finish. Project has some decent music in spots but the vocals I've heard are annoying. The solo stuff and the DTB stuff that I have heard sounds like really bad pop music mixed with I dunno what to just barely get it out of the pop realm.

Sorry, not trolling by any means, just thinking out loud. I just don't get the draw.

BTW: he should keep his head shaved, because with that long, stringy, nasty looking hair ... he is one ugly muthafuggah

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have to disagree about it sounding like bad pop music. lol

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Some of the guitar is the ~only~ thing that would keep many songs from being full-on pop. Pretty much everything I have heard off of Terria is extremely poppish. I certainly wouldn't ever classify this stuff as "prog", but that's just me.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To each their own. I personally consider a fair chunk of his material to be prog but with other influences in there.

Pappy

Reaction score
New Devin project Casualties of Cool.....it's pretty cool

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Devin and I've bought everything he has released so far. I'm a big fan of country music and this definitely has some country flair. I like the songs you've posted, Pappy. Definitely getting this!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online