Deep Purple (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
Personally i never much liked the re-formed DEEP PURPLE in 1984 but after listening to PERFECT STRANGERS & THE HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT cds a few 100 times again lately they ain't that bad i suppose just a different 1980s sound really.

SLAVES AND MASTERS with JLT on vocals sounds like a latter day RAINBOW album but it sure is a good album to listen to and very classy actually.

THE BATTLE RAGES ON is a 'weaker album' you can see why Blackmore quit he's just playing metal riffs rather then the melody that he likes in his playing.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, you really don't! :) It's the worst album that they ever recorded as far as I'm concerned. There are only a couple of tracks on it that I have any time for - on most of the other albums I'd struggle to find two bad ones.

I've tried and tried to get to like it, over the years, but it just leaves me cold, bores me even. I just get the feeling that they are going through the motions, that none of the band really have the heart for it.

Only my personal opinion, of course!

I have heard the album and loved it myself personally, I like every Deep Purple album to be fair, some like this one I want in my collection. lol
I respect your opinion though and others who dislike these latter albums.

E-Z

Reaction score
Just re-listened to the WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE album (from 1973) the re-mastered cd and just like a fine old wine this album has matured very well over the last 40 years which is surprising considering that many Deep Purple fans thought that it was a 'weak album' back in the 1970s??.

Even under the trying conditions that this album was made where one half of the band wasn't talking to the other half of the band to have produced an album of this quality with NO FILLER on board is amazing??.

Possibly the finest rock band to emerge from the UK in the 1970s with the finest rock musicians of there generation.

Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover & Ian Paice. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Just re-listened to the WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE album (from 1973) the re-mastered cd and just like a fine old wine this album has matured very well over the last 40 years which is surprising considering that many Deep Purple fans thought that it was a 'weak album' back in the 1970s??.

Even under the trying conditions that this album was made where one half of the band wasn't talking to the other half of the band to have produced an album of this quality with NO FILLER on board is amazing??.

Possibly the finest rock band to emerge from the UK in the 1970s with the finest rock musicians of there generation.

Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, Ian Gillan, Roger Glover & Ian Paice. :grinthumb

I always find myself in the minority because I rate Deep Purple ahead of both Zeppelin and Sabbath and I've held the opinion that their line-up was the most talented of the three bands.:cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
You and I are both in the minority for that one, LG. It's sad to say but not only will Deep Purple never will reach the status of Zeppelin or Sabbath but they are only going to get further from the the front of history' memory as more time passes. :/

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^At least I am in good company Cosmic...:grinthumb

Doesn't bother me at all to be in the minority, and hopefully Purple doesn't get forgotten completely as time moves on.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I have always looked at Purple, Zep and Sabbath as the big three in English heavy rock there's not much seperates them in my mind really. With the metal bands I kind of think of Priest, Iron Maiden and Saxon in a similar way.

"Living Wreck" Awesome.

Marbles

Reaction score
I have always looked at Purple, Zep and Sabbath as the big three in English heavy rock there's not much seperates them in my mind really. With the metal bands I kind of think of Priest, Iron Maiden and Saxon in a similar way.

With you pretty much completely on that. Not sure about JP but it's pretty difficult to find a credible third option in that category. I was quite fond of White Spirit, the Tygers and a couple of others but they were never in the same league as JP, so I'm happy to concur.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online