Deep Purple (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think In Rock is fantastic but no Purple album will ever supplant Machine Head as my pick of the litter, it was one of the most influential albums I bought when I was just getting into hard rock back in the early 70's.

Still makes me laugh to this day, my friends were listening to Olivia Newton John, Neil Diamond, ABBA and a lot of other "mellow" music while I was into BTO, Steppenwolf, Purple, PF and Yes...not that there's anything wrong with any of the artists I mentioned but I needed something with more gravitas especially before a big game.:hb:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Love Machine Head and In Rock they are two classic albums that stand the test of time IMO, everyone should have them in their collection, my guess for you LG is a 180g vinyl:hm:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I can't think of a better Purple album than the live 'Made in Japan'...or many better live albums by anyone for that matter. I think their best studio album is 'Who Do We Think We Are' though it doesn't seem to have many advocates.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Who Do We Think We Are was for me decent but still doesn't hold a candle to In Rock, Fireball and probably even Burn.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I do have all Purple's albums and Who Do We Think We Are and Burn are good albums, Perfect Strangers was also a good album but the early Mark II albums are by far the best and the live 1970/72 is a really great set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Who Do We Think We Are was for me decent but still doesn't hold a candle to In Rock, Fireball and probably even Burn.

If I were to rank their studio albums I'd put "In Rock" first, "Machine Head" second, and "Burn" third. Of course "Fireball" is also really great and then "Stormbringer" is nothing to sneeze at either. ;)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I keep forgetting Fireball, great opening track on the album, classic in fact. and I agree Stormbringer is nothing special:)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stormbringer I preferred also to Who Do We Think We Are. I would have Machine Head first, Burn second, Fireball third for my favourites.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I didn't like Stormbringer when I first heard it ( other the title track a few others ). It's grown on me over the years however and I really like it now but I would still rank all the other MK II & MK III releases ahead of it. And even Come Taste The Band rates above SB, IMO.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online