Deep Purple (Official Thread)

Reaction score
Re: Deep Purple

Machine Head is the big hitter for Deep Purple. But I also like Who Do We Think We Are and Fireball. I like some of the remixes they put on the remasters of these albums.

Whenever I'm in the mood for something very fast and heavy, Fireball goes on, Highway Star can go on for that reason too, and there is one more Purp song that I like when I want something really heavy, umm... i can't think of it, I have Machine head digital, and Burn on vinyl which is the reason I'm posting in this thread now--I'm listening to burn for the first time in a while, I'm not that big of a Deep Purp fan, but they crank out stuff that's so heavy for when it was released, the only thing I really don't like is the production of some of their albums, Machine Head is the only production I actually say "wow, that sounded great"... Burn's is a bit lame and dead sounding, it doesn't complement the music very well...... but I suppose its listenable

Last edited:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Deep Purple were one of the first heavy metal bands , and they're still one of the best! They're one of my favourite bands from the seventies.

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

What are some of your favorite records Fox?.:grinthumb

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

"Child in Time"! I've long maintained that had Deep Purple not released "Child in Time", Led Zeppelin would not have recorded "Stairway to Heaven". The two tracks have very similar elements.

"Highway Star" would be number two but I like quite a bit of Deep Purple's catalogue. I have the four studio albums beginning with "In Rock" plus a greatest hits compilation. I need to add "Burn". (I know, I know, my collection of 600 or so albums is pathetic compared with that of some of you other fellows and Snakes and Ladders just laughs at me.)

:violin:

Last edited:

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score

Oh man, Machine Head = FANTASTIC!!! Everyone knows Smoke on the Water, which is like, the first song any fan of classic rock starts off on, but I also loved Highway Star for the fast-paced, driving guitar, and Space Truckin', for it's sheer badassery.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Space Truckin' is indeed badass. I also like Woman From Tokyo and Child In Time a lot! :D

Rocker440

Reaction score

Deep Purple is one of my very favorite bands! I've enjoyed the fantastic music of this band for a long time. 'Hush' and 'Kentucky Woman' were the first two Deep Purple songs that I remember hearing. However, In Rock floored me when I heard it when it was first released. There are many great styles, influences, and songs on that release. If the MK I 'ground work' wasn't in place before In Rock, then it surely was with the great songs 'Bloodsucker' 'Flight of the rat' and the anthem 'Child in time'. I had never heard at that time any singer both sing with the style, abilities and levels that Ian Gillan does on that song! To myself, that song is worth the price of admission, or purchase, if you prefer, of In Rock!

I've had a few discussions with friends over the past few years with regard to some singers that sing with so much enthusiasm, gusto, zest as Ian Gillan does, not only on 'Child in time' but many MK II songs, and over many years that has got to be extremely difficult on both a singers vocal chords and ability to perform at high levels, especially over not five or ten years, but three decades and more.

I could go on for quite some time (time permitting I may do that, too :lmao:) about this great band, their terrific music, performances, various members and many wonderful memories! But for now...classic Deep Purple! :tup:

Child In Time 1970

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I didn't know that about Space Truckin' Taha,,,but it is amazing to think anyone would consider it "Filler". It was my Mom's favorite song off MH, she used to play it on her headphones and then Sing along...:D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

"Space Truckin'" (particularly the "Made In Japan" version) is one of my favorite Deep Purple songs.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online