Deep Purple - California Jamming

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
deep-purple-live-at-the-california-jam-1974-dvd-14009434.jpeg

In my opinion one of the most underrated and aggressive concert in rock history. If you don't know what I mean, watch the last video!

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have this DVD,love it!!

Ritchie is pissed at the camera onstage and freaks out at the end of the show. Great show. :grinthumb

rtbuck

Reaction score
Great Stuff! I don't give these guy enough listening time. I have just almost everything they put out but I just don't pull them out much but when I do I can't stop listening

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Great DVD Nololob , it is my favorite Deep Purple DVD right after Come Hell or High Water. I think I have every single Deep Purple DVD that is out too ( I might be wrong ) . Fantastic performance.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Some info about Ritchie and camera from live CD booklet:

By now, Blackmore's anger had focused itself on the ABC cameras - specially those on stage. ABC were using traditional TV studio sized cameras, and the operator stage right was undoubtedly pushing his luck - taking his lumbering beast right across Blackmore's side of the stage at times and blocking the audience view. Finally, as a fitting climax to a ferocious set, Blackmore sent his Strat soaring towards the heavens, bounced it off the stage floor and began to destroy it. At this was happening he remembered the producer's words of the night before "favour the camera", and took him literally. The operator wondered what had hit him - literally - as a Stratocaster neck came straight into the camera lens, rendering it inoperable. Blackmore then exploded a 450 watt stack (his engineer has suggested they use an empty cab. but Blackmore had insisted on it being complete), almost blowing himself off stage in the process, bringing Purple's set to a suitably impressive visual climax. If Blackmore understands one thing, it's how to make an impression!
"Actually I hadn't planned to go for the camera," Blackmore commented after the show, "I was out to kill this guy who gave me the countdown. I thought he'd be onstage. If he had been, you would've seen more than a smashed camera! I don't like violence but I was raving that night. Anyway, I couldn't stop him so I had a go at the camera."
ABC were of course miffed by the whole turn of events, despite a conciliatory letter from Purple's management offering to pay for "reasonable cost of whatever repairs are necessary" after "the Deep Purple lead guitarist clearly damaged one of your company's television cameras - in the enthusiasm of the moment"!

Ritchie, you're such a funny bloke. :D

Bryter Later

Reaction score
:grinthumb That is a classic performance from the great Deep Purple!!. If you listen carefully during Richies quiet spot during You Fool No One,you will be able to hear Glenn shout 'Ritchie' with more than a small hint of 'get on with it and stop pi$£ing about' !!.

:cheers2 Bryter

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online