CRF's Greatest Singers Results: #50-1

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
And yet, you've yet to create a thread to discuss any of those artists. Even if there are threads on them already, you've refused to go to them and discuss them, as far as I know.

I did go and post in one soul thread this morning.

Also, you haven't really gotten any decent responses in terms of soul artists in this thread, all you've gotten is an argument, and a very very terrible one at that.

Not true, just because responses haven't been favorable doesn't mean they haven't been decent. A lot of the responses in this thread have been very good. And I have no idea why you think the argument has been terrible. Debate can be very healthy. Things have been civil, for the most part.

Considering everything we've said to you would be beneficial to you if you were to just post in threads about soul music, or create threads, and yet, you refuse to do that as well.

I never refused to do any such thing. As previously stated, I posted in a soul thread just this morning and have created a couple in the past. I've never been much of a thread starter though, be it about soul music or any other topic.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
I did go and post in one soul thread this morning.

Forgive me then, I hadn't seen the rest of the posts today hence me saying "as far as I know". My guess was as good as anyones who had just signed on.

Not true, just because responses haven't been favorable doesn't mean they haven't been decent. A lot of the responses in this thread have been very good. And I have no idea why you think the argument has been terrible. Debate can be very healthy. Things have been civil, for the most part.

My only point is, you're trying to start up a debate in a thread that doesn't call for the debate. As Magic stated, it was a poll to see the members opinions on what they think is the top 50 singers. It wasn't anything official, nor will it be anything posted on RS or any other music magazine. It was for fun. Debate can be healthy, if it's done properly.

Don't get me wrong, I have no trouble understanding why you thought it'd be appropriate to bring up the lack of soul singers in the list in the thread with the list, but nothing is going to come of it, it just seems like a silly argument to me with no point.

I never refused to do any such thing. As previously stated, I posted in a soul thread just this morning and have created a couple in the past. I've never been much of a thread starter though, be it about soul music or any other topic.

As stated before as well, I hadn't checked the rest of today's posts, so I was only going off of assumption, I was wrong in assuming that however, though it's good to see you've started posting in soul threads.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I see you get my point :)

It all boils down to an opinion of what the voter likes to hear.

It isn't about the all time best selling vocalist or who has the best vocal range, nor does it boil down to what genre a vocalist is from.

These polls on CRF are mainly a way to get to know the members better.....what they like and don't like......their music preferences. I enjoy discovering who has the same music tastes as me :)

Yes, of course I know all of that and it's a fair point. But I still don't buy all of this "it's a classic rock forum so it stands to reason there'd be no soul vocalists" stuff. I don't think it stands to reason, at all. It's a very flimsy argument.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a list of Rolling Stones' (and I almost hate quoting them) 100 greatest vocalists of all time. I'm pretty sure this was voted on by a bunch of artists and perhaps some industry people. You'll note that not only was Aretha Franklin voted #1 but that Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Stevie Wonder and James Brown also rank in the top 10. Al Green, Tina Turner and Smokey Robinson are in the top 20.

I am glad you have brought up the Rolling Stone article for the Top 100 Singers of All Time.....

I am sure if this list were compiled from reader or fans votes, the list would be totally different, due to different tastes and opinions.

I respect the views of music historians and experts, as well as the views of other music artists and industry leaders. But just because those people say "so and so" is the greatest singer doesn't mean a fan will agree.

I look at these lists as a fun and informative read, whether it is a published list from Rolling Stone or a simple poll on CRF :)

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I have no trouble understanding why you thought it'd be appropriate to bring up the lack of soul singers in the list in the thread with the list, but nothing is going to come of it

It's generated a lot more discussion than posting in a soul thread ever would. I'd say the discussion is something. It doesn't matter that nobody has agreed with me.

Here's my first post in this thread again. There's nothing especially incendiary in what I wrote. It was more or less meant as an observation.

Not a single soul singer on the entire list. Even Otis Redding or Aretha Franklin couldn't scare up the necessary two or three votes to make the top 50. Wow.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I am glad you have brought up the Rolling Stone article for the Top 100 Singers of All Time.....

I am sure if this list were compiled from reader or fans votes, the list would be totally different, due to different tastes and opinions.

Well yeah, any different sample is going to produce different results.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
oscar gamble said:
Yes, of course I know all of that and it's a fair point. But I still don't buy all of this "it's a classic rock forum so it stands to reason there'd be no soul vocalists" stuff. I don't think it stands to reason, at all. It's a very flimsy argument.

I believe the results comes not from a poll of a limited number of listed vocalists, but from member responses to a thread asking for their choices for best vocalists.

There were no criteria that disallowed soul vocalists or any other genre vocalists.

These results represents opinions of people who responded to the thread. Cosmic Harmony has been kind enough to take that thread and calculate the votes and post the result.

If you are not happy with that result, feel free to conduct another poll and calculate another list. I am sure people would participate, since these things are always fun to see the final results, escpecially since we have new members on the forum who may not have gotten to vote in the previous thread :grinthumb

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I believe the results comes not from a poll of a limited number of listed vocalists, but from member responses to a thread asking for their choices for best vocalists.

There were no criteria that disallowed soul vocalists or any other genre vocalists.

These results represents opinions of people who responded to the thread. Cosmic Harmony has been kind enough to take that thread and calculate the votes and post the result.

If you are not happy with that result, feel free to conduct another poll and calculate another list. I am sure people would participate, since these things are always fun to see the final results.

I'm not interested in conducting another poll. I'm not going to keep taking polls until I get the result that I want. I'm not interested in some poll result reflecting my personal aesthetic.

As previously stated numerous times, I was never commenting on the poll result not being properly representative of the soul genre. I was commenting on the fact that not a single soul artist made the list. There's a big difference between the two.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online