CRF's Best Songs of 2012 Project

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
2012-doomsday.jpg

Since the world didn't end I guess we have to do this thread now.... :D

Every December and January there a million Best Songs retrospective lists assembled and published in magazines and online. But who are the people that publish these countdowns? They are just names with opinions to most people. But doesn't an opinion matter more, whether positively or negative, when you know who the owner of that opinion is? That is what this thread is going to be about. Three of us here on CRF (Tabboo, Soot and Stars, and myself) have decided to get together to share, with the forum as well as with each other, what we individually feel are the 50 best songs of the last 12 months, a.k.a. the year 2012. We'll give our reviews of the songs as we post them and give input on each others' picks as they're posted. We sincerely hope you all enjoy the ride, chime in on what you think of songs, and find at least a couple new songs that you like. :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Cosmic's #50
Cut Me Some Slack- Paul McCartney/Dave Grohl/
Krist Novoselic/Pat Smear

cutmesomeslack_zps7dafe3c5.png

This was a very very very last minute entry on my list. It came out late in December and I literally just heard this song yesterday and was impressed enough that I had to squeeze it on at the end of my list, for collaboration significance if nothing else (Paul McCartney jamming with Nirvana?! That's kind of a big deal, dontcha think?) However, that is not the only reason this song makes my list. It is a genuinely good rock song and certainly one of the heaviest things Paul has ever done (this ain't no Wings song). It's like a slower, thicker, more groove oriented cousin to "Helter Skelter", which is awesome. Despite this being a song that was more or less just jammed out one day the structure and playing is very tight. With musicians as experienced as these four that shouldn't be surprising even though this is only the second time since Kurt Cobain's death that the surviving members of Nirvana have played together. As should be expected Paul's vocals also are top notch, even after celebrating his 70th birthday earlier this year.
This is sure to be a very unique treat for alt rock fans, classic rock fans, and Paul McCartney fans alike. :grinthumb

McCartney+12+12+12+Concert+Benefiting+VBAOdqQy6JVl.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Soot and Stars #50

BenFoldsFivelogo.gif
ben-folds-five-500x250.jpg

Draw A Crowd

From The Album
The Sound of The Life and The Mind
The-Sound-Of-The-Life-Of-The-Mind.jpg

I ordered something
it took a while
This morning something
was on my doorstep
What's this I'm holding?
Time capsule order
cause I'm a brand new man
And I don't think I want it, I don't think I want it
A row of flags Hanging behind me
A garden of mics and questions
And photo flashes blind me
And I'm so high I can't recall my statements
I only know I made 'em
Because my face vibrated

Is it all in my mind?
I could have sworn I saw it
I thought I was fine
So fine is what I called it

Oh-oh if you're feeling small, and you can't draw a crowd
Draw dicks on a wall
Draw dicks on a wall

I was gruntled when It was just feet on gravel
To have come apart
I must have once been raveled
Now when pretty phrases
Don't mean nothin
And I want to sell em
I sing the line again

So smooth you can hear the beard
(hear the beard)
Three times it's poetry

Draw dicks on a wall
Draw dicks on a wall
If you can't draw a crowd
Draw dicks on a wall

And if you can't draw a crowd, settle for what you can draw

I'm just saying
I-I-I-I'm just saying
What a saying: that I'm just saying
But many wait, to what I'm saying
Always come back again, I can't ignore it
I'm a brand new man, but I'm still ṗayin' for it

Draw dicks on a wall
Draw dicks on a wall
If you can't draw a crowd, draw dicks on a wall
If you can't draw a crowd, draw dicks on a wall

And if you can't draw a crowd, settle for what you can draw

I only wanted to be Stevie Wonder
But I got to settle for this vanilla thunder
(If you can't draw a crowd)
Oh-this vanilla thunder
Oh-this vanilla thunder
Taste my vanilla thunder
If you feeling small

After a while of hearing Ben Folds solo you almost blur the lines between what he's doing now and what he did with Ben Folds Five. Then you take out the prior Ben Folds albums and remember the difference the band made and how much the mood changes. I was afraid the new Ben Folds album was going to just sound like A Ben Folds Five remake that sounded like a Ben Folds solo album and milking the name. I actually feared that worse than the new Pumpkins album. Anyway, while Ben Folds still kept the humor in his solo career it was a lot more personal narratives like a clownish Billy Joel. There was also a sense of drama in his albums. Ben Folds albums had stuff LIKE that but let's just say listening to the new album gave me the same shocking energy I got when I listened to Whatever and Ever Amen after just knowing Brick. It's the biggest rush of festive adrenaline you can get with a piano, bass and drums. Ben Folds Five is about the only band that could play with the muppets or more specifically Fraggles in their case and still seem legit. Sorry Weezer! :heheh: I picked this song after initially thinking it was too over the top. Now it's grown to be my favorite. It's absurd yet fun and like with any of Ben Folds writing you can get a loose message out of it if you read closer. Great writing and the harmonies keep it legit! Seriously, The Monkees meet the Beach Boys with dicks! Beautiful! :tongue: So smooth you can hear the beard! :grinthumb

jtrichey13

Hall of Fame Guru
Reaction score
Well, this should be an excellent thread. Thanks guys! Great first choice Cosmic. I saw the song on Saturday Night Live and couldn't believe how much Paul was rocking.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Thanks, jtrichey. I heard it on the radio when I was in the car and as soon as I got home I looked it up. That was the first video I watched followed by the studio recording. It kicked ass and I was amazed at how well Paul's falsetto has held up over the years. :grinthumb

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
First time me hearing that tune Cosmic,Is very good:grinthumb
I gotta hand it to Sir Paul&The guys from Nirvana for not resting on their laurels&putting somthing out there,From what iv'e read Dave Grohl's 'Sound City' documentry is due out in march.

Very interested into seeing more tunes from you ladies:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I've been living in the Past the last while so I'll read this thread but won't have anything substantial to add to it...another one of Cosmic's EPIC themed works in progress.:D

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Been Away Too Long by Soundgarden from King Animal. It's as though they had never been away at all.

Here's footage of Chris Cornell in a sensible cardigan:

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Taboo's #50

Soundgarden-logo-B0A17A67F7-seeklogo.com_.jpg

Live to Rise

Avengers_Assemble_-_Music_From_And_Inspired_By_The_Motion_Picture.jpg

This is my summer jam right here! Despite all the mixed reviews from fans, I actually really liked this song. It's groovy and fun to listen to. For me this was like a warm up track for the band. It is the first song that they have put out after 15 years, which is a looong time and now they have a new album out. It's not their best song but it's a good return to form. Their new album is amazing though, check it out if you haven't already. Soundgarden are back!! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good choices so far guys.

@ Taboo...The Avengers is why I got the last Soundgarden album......it really is a good album.

@ Cosmic......I read somewhere that they were calling McCartney/Grohl a supergroup. I'm just wondering if this is a "one of" thing or if they plan to record?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoFrey

Members online