Country Icon Glen Campbell in an Alzheimer's Facility

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Glen_Campbell_Basic_album_cover.jpg
11073259_ori.jpg

Country legend Glen Campbell has been moved into an Alzheimer's facility, a representative for the country singer confirmed to Rolling Stone.

"Sadly, Glen's condition has progressed enough that we were no longer able to keep him at home," said the singer's family in a statement to Rolling Stone. "He is getting fantastic care and we get to see him every day. Our family wants to thank everyone for their continued prayers, love and support."

Campbell was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2011. He and his wife Kim went public with the sad news in an interview with People, partially to inform fans in case of forgotten lyrics and confusion during subsequent live performances.

"I still love making music," he told the magazine. "And I still love performing for my fans." And the singer didn't slow down in the face of his illness, embarking on a global Goodbye Tour and releasing two new LPs – 2011's Ghost on the Canvas and 2013's See You There (which featured rerecordings of his classic songs, including the legendary "Rhinestone Cowboy").

As his condition worsened, Campbell was forced to cancel 2012 live dates in Australia and New Zealand. The farewell tour was also chronicled for the new documentary Glen Campbell ... I'll Be Me, which premieres Friday at the ongoing 2014 Nashville Film Festival; the film follows Campbell and his family as they travel, perform and struggle with the disease.

Rolling Stone profiled Campbell in 2011, with various musicians speaking about his musical influence. "He had that beautiful tenor with a crystal-clear guitar sound, playing lines that were so inventive," said Tom Petty. "It moved me." Fellow session legend Leon Russell also spoke about his guitar finesse: "He was the best guitar player I'd heard before or since," he said. "Occasionally we'd play with 50- or 60-piece orchestras. His deal was he didn't read [music], so they would play it one time for him, and he had it."

Read more: Country Icon Glen Campbell Moved to Alzheimer's Facility | Music News | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like Glen Campbell, have a compilation of his greatest hits I play quite often.

Sad to see him end up this way, I've had first hand experience watching a family member spiral downhill due to Alzheimer's disease...sigh.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Sad news. I love Glen's music. I hope the rest of his time is as easy and painless as possible. I had an aunt that suffered with this illness. My prayers go out to his loved ones.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
His children talk about his last days touring, and clips of Glen in 2012

CBS Sunday Morning spotlight on Campbell

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I have known a number of people suffer from Alzheimers, a few of those being relatives including my only living grandparent. It's tough to be around, hard to watch. Best wishes go out to him and his family

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Legendary singer and songwriter Glen Campbell has been battling Alzheimer’s disease for years, and is now in the final stages of the disease. Campbell has been moved to 24-hour care, as his doctors have determined that he is in the sixth stage of Alzheimer’s (‘severe cognitive decline”).

It has been nearly two years since Campbell has performed in public — however, as a farewell to his music career, Campbell’s record label has released his final studio recording.

His final ballad is called “I’m Not Gonna Miss You.” The melody is somber and contemplative, but the lyrics show Campbell’s ability to find irony in his disease. The result is a beautiful combination of sadness and joy, which ends much too quickly.

http://blog.thealzheimerssite.com/n...re&utm_campaign=gcamppaid#z1zBHXYlxdw7m3gH.01

A wonderful tune.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online