Cosmic's Top 27 Songs of 2011

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Oh I love "Leave My Body", especially that high note Florence hits towards the end. :)

Well there are shadows of what Florence did on "Ceremonials" on her debut. It's like....she knew what kind of sound she wanted to craft but either didn't fully know how to go about doing it or simply didn't have the resources needed until she established herself with "Lungs". I think either one or both of those reasons would be why "Lungs" seems like a smaller album in comparison. One things is for sure though, the short and ever catchy "Kiss With A Fist" would have no business on "Ceremonials". :heheh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
inthemountaininthecloud.png

Sleep Forever
Artist: Portugal. The Man
Album: In The Mountain, In The Cloud

As I finally meet my end
I won't be scared, I won't defend
The things I've done
I don't need him like you do
I don't fear him like you do

As the world revolves the sun
I hope the light that I become can
Sleep for once
I will leave it like you do
I won't lead it like you do
I won't leave it like they do
I don't need him like they do

I just want to sleep forever
Never see tomorrow
Or lead or follow
I don't want to work forever
Know what I know
Or beg or borrow

Just like our mothers
Who gave us our homes
We'll be just like our fathers
And go out on our own
'Cause we are the colors
In all that you see
We'll be just like our brothers
We'll take to the streets
Take to the streets

Never see tomorrow
Lead or follow

As my world it hides behind
The words only your wars define
They read a lot like news
But I fear it more than you
I fear it more than you

Never see tomorrow
Or lead or follow
Know what I know
Or beg or borrow

Just like old lovers
Who never leave home
We'll forget the city
And forget the roads
'Cause we are all rebels
Never do what we're told
We may not grow money
But man we grow old
Man we grow old

Never see tomorrow
Or lead or follow
Know what I know
Or beg or borrow

Just like our mothers
Who gave us our homes
We'll be just like our fathers
And go out on our own
'Cause we are the colors
In all that you see
We'll be just like our brothers
And take to the streets

'Cause we are all children
Yeah, we are all man
It may not be much
But we do what we can
Don't need no preacher
To make us believe
That everything's perfectly
****ed up like me

We have reached the summit and it's great how it worked out that the album that my #1 song is off of is titled "In The Mountain, In The Cloud" because we have reached the tippy top. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Portugal. The Man's "Sleep Forever", the finale to the previously mentioned album as well as our countdown.
If you have been paying attention I have been raving about this album and this song in particular since the summer so it's not at all shocking that it's my pick for the best song of the year.
"Sleep Forever" ases in with harp-like guitar and John Gourley's light, soul filled voice as it gradually builds with cellos, guitar, and drums all growing louder before dissipating, almost teasing the listener for something even bigger around the corner. This repeats with each cycle bigger than the one before it until the song goes into a dual solo between cello and roaring guitar. The song ends with one final chorus delivered in a gang vocal that gives a strong sense of unity between the band and the listened because it really make you want to sing along.
On top of the wonderful musicality the lyrics are beautiful. The cover religion, death, war, and beyond with a liberating air of freedom. They speak to me on a very special level and bring me to edge of tears (and sometimes more) whenever I listen to it.

And there we have it everyone, my selections for the best songs of 2011. Hope you enjoyed the ride and the tunes. :flirt

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Awesome list Cosmic! I've been listening along but let me give a proper response starting with your almost and should've made it tracks! :grinthumb

Stonefield-Don't like it as much as the rest here but it's a solid group. The comparison to Grave Potter is spot on. Musically it sounds similar to a lot of retro revival bands IMO.

Kate Tucker-I love this one. I know I'm supposed to though. :heheh: Just beautiful production and a beautiful vocal. My friend actually checked it out and liked it and he's very critical of the dound alike chicks. You were right about The Civil Wars harmonies but in the verses she's very Jewel like. Love it and will buy this! :grinthumb

Ben Folds Five-I like the track but I feel Ben Folds has always been Ben Folds at this point. I mean the early stuff was great but it seems Ben has nuetered the old sound and pulled a Corgan controlling all the elements. :heheh: The fact that this feels like his solo album proves that. I'm glad they are reuniting for nostalgia names sake but this doesn't feel any different to me.

Jenny O.-My least favorite of your countdown. Just didn't find anything that interested me or head my attention. You did state that it was a simple song but that kind of minimalism isn't for me. :)

Skylar Grey-A solid singer. Not sure I can hear a solid identity out of her yet. She seems to be the new Dido captivated from having beautiful vocals standing out on a hip-hop album. Dido to me seemed fresher at the time when she was catapulted as a result of the collaboration and became an adult contemporary artist who sang over hip hop beats. She's stale as hell now though. :tongue: The fact that Skylars a songwriter is a plus but I may need to hear more tracks before I'm convinced in her as a standout artist.

Dream Theater-Wow! You are right about the vocal. I love that a band like Dream Theater who's about complexity can make such a beautiful simple song. I may I-tunes this one just to get that song. :)

Art Brut-Very 80's indeed but a real fun tracks. One of the better indie songs. This really moves me rather than bores me unlike most dance rock which bores me and I think I attribute that to the rough imperfect vocal you pointed out.

Katzenjammer-Very nice! As complex and weird as you say the style is they do a great job of making it familiar and accessible. That trick is musically like a magician pulling a tablecloth out without knocking anything over which means these guys are brilliant and seamless at what they do. I love the haunting high pitched vocals. These guys are captivating!

The Grand Magnolias-You know I didn't even like this guy much on Idol but I like this. I like Rod Stewart a lot but James Blunt not so much. There's a thin line with this vocal style but now hearing what direction his music takes I can honestly say I like it! :grinthumb

I'm going to comment on your main picks later but I wanted to catch up on these first. I think we should make these countdown list a traditional as long as we are here. They are really fun! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I'm in no way surprised that you liked Kate Tucker so much and I'm glad you knew that I knew you would. :heheh:

Even more than when Ben Folds Five was around the first time it's clear that Ben Folds is the name people are looking for so I think he does have complete control over what the group does. This is especially true since Ben has been doing his own thing for the last decade without much help from anyone else so he's used to having it his way.

I would in no way recommend getting "A Dramatic Turn Of Events" just for "Far From Heaven" but if you're going to go after it as an individual song then I'd also recommend "Wither" as another Dream Theater song you might want to snag while you're at it. It's a song from the band I think you might be interested in as well. ;)

I've been playing "Lost Weekend" for a lot of people over the last few weeks and not one has disliked it. Quite the opposite in fact, they actually ask me to play it for them a couple times in a row regardless of what kind of music they normally listen to. It's just the right kind of quirky and poppy that make people fall in love with it, kind of like Devo's "Whip It" I think.

"Lady Marlene" and the song I added to your mix CD aren't the most accurate representation of Katzenjammer's music as a whole but it does have their very special charm and ingenuity. I think you would be able to add there debut album "Le Pop" to the section of your music selection that you keep The Scissor Sisters, The Darkness, and Mindless Self Indulgence are. ;)

I agree we really should turn this into an annual thing. I opens a window for new artists and enduring legends alike to have their best, new stuff highlighted. :)

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
At the weekend I was reading about the Alice song you posted 'I Am Made of You' on a website, and apparently the Alice camp replied to the backlash of people moaning (as I'm sure you noticed many did) about Alice's use of autotune on the track by saying he didn't use it! On his Facebook page they said he used something called square wave effect. No idea what this sounds like myself, but obviously a lot like autotune since everbody thought it was that! Anyway thought you might find that interesting :)
I like your no.1 pick, and congratulate you on a thread very well done ffa1i9.jpg

And I, for one, certainly enjoyed the ride :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Very interesting, Tray. That would explain why it sounds like autotune but still sounds different from every other use of autotune I've ever heard. I assumed it was just because Alice didn't use it to change the pitch of his singing, just the tone. Either way I guess I was right on the money with saying he used what I now know wasn't autotune as just an effect.

I did look into square audio effects and from what I read when applied to music the tone is very hollow sounding and borders the edge of sound wavelengths. I guess it's used in electronic music to synthesis wind instruments, particularly flutes, but it can be applied to guitar distortion and was apparently first done by Sonic Youth.

Here's the pedal that controls it:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Cosmic, I know I'm late but I really have to comment on your top five properly. What can I say about your fifth pick. It was so good that it's the one song in my countdown that I specifically heard from another forum member and liked it so much it cracked my top 20. I gave my description of it there but it was one of those songs I knew was special that I could feel the addiction coursing through my veins in the first ten seconds and I knew that was going to be the song I was going to be hooked on for a good while. Play, finish, start again, rinse repeat.

Cosmic, you said there was one song I didn't know that would be right up my alley and I would love. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I feel that Alice Cooper track was it. It was awesome and though I like Alice Cooper this added a whole new layer to how much I like him. It's sinister yet gorgeous. I've always seen autotune as an artist tool like anything else. Why should everything be about pure vocals. Music is art and a message told by any means possible IMO. Listen, if you attached this line to a Justin Bieber song:

"Welcome To My Nightmare" and makes use of an eerie choir, dynamic strings, and heart wrenching guitar solos that add build the song into it's climax."

I'd buy right in naively as that line describes Sooty music all the way and I wouldn't take a chance missing any song with those elements. Not only are those sucker elements for me there but they are used and crafted perfectly. The best surprise in your whole list Cosmic. :)

Number 3 is a good track that I like more and more while listening to it. Simply it's way more coherent lyrically than most hip-hop now and serves a purpose as well. The raps are more than adequate but I'm not on the Skylar train quite as much as you. To me these type of choruses are phoned in and are getting tired IMO. At one point I liked them but not so much anymore. To me rap wise Eminem is perfect at playing the emotion of the situation and saves this song. Dre is an amazing talent and makes good albums but as a rapper himself has always been bland. Here's no different. Just straight out trying to act tough. This is why his best stuff is when he has a new protege to balance things out. Dre creates great songs and is brilliant at promoting an artists strong points but doesn't really even need to be in the songs other than for his presence alone. A solid song but not one that can accomplish the mission of the song which is to revitalize it's subject.

Florence is an artist I like but hard for me to pinpoint songs themselves. I put her in my countdown more based on the strength of the album and tried to pick out my favorite song. I don't think she is as original sounding as you do Cosmic but she does a good job at fusing various elements. Shake It Out isn't one of my favorites off the album personally. It does have a cool gospel by way of Annie Lennoxx vibe though. Honestly I find Florence as a modern day Lennoxx which isn't a bad thing.

Your number one pick is the reason I waited so long to reply. I listened to it once but wanted to give it enough proper listens as it was new to me and warranted some more attention before babbling about it. I remember posting Portugal's single on my facebook and finding you were already on top of this band. So it shouldn't surprise me they are your number one but in some way despite you having a thread for them and them being a regular part of your musical dialogue I forgot about them. It's a great deserving song though and is the other Sooty song in your top five for it's subtle build and epic pop rock presence. Cellos in a rock song. I'm always in. The vocalist is unique which gives them their own unique sound. There is something both retro and modern about these guys in a genuine sense. These guys weren't consciously trying to recapture a vibe but they just made a full sounding jam that can be universally praised. :cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
As always I appreciate and love reading your feedback, Sooty.

I know you love that song from Alice already but that one song that I was referring to that I though you would love was actually the song by Old Nick at #9. I obviously don't think it's better than "I Am Made Of You" since it's lower on my list but I had a really strong feeling that you'd love that song too.

Originally the chorus to "I Need A Doctor" was going to be sung by Lady Gaga so....personally I think Skylar was a better choice. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that would have loved the star power she would have brought to the song but that's just too many big names in that song for me personally.

I don't know if can hear the comparison of Florence to Annie because the latter has such a deep singing voice where as Florence uses a whole lot more vibrato and mostly sings in a higher register. That said however Annie did make my 50 greatest singers list a ways back so I can't complain too much. ;)

And I'm very happy that you enjoyed "Sleep Forever" because it is obviously a song that I hold with quite a bit of respect. It's like the "Champagne Supernova" of my time or something, ya know?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online