Controversial or unpopular opinions

jeffnc

Reaction score
OK maybe this is controversial, but even though I don't like most glam/hair bands, I do like Cinderella. I think their problem is that they placed themselves in the hair band genre themselves with their first album. Or maybe their manager did. But really they're more in the Aerosmith mode. Pretend you don't know what they looked like on their first album, go listen to Long Cold Winter, and tell me it's not about as good as Aerosmith. Just as Aerosmith "mark II" was getting crappy, Cinderella was getting good and sounding kind of like Aerosmith from 10 years previous. If they hadn't been pigeon holed, I think they would have made more music like this and therefore been more successful and thus more prolific. If you tour with Poison and open for David Lee Roth, then it's only going to encourage that image. Wikipedia says "The new album signified a shift towards a blues rock sound, though it could still be described as glam metal". Well, I guess it was just too hard for them to shake the image.

jeffnc

Reaction score
My unpopular view (which it shouldn't be unpopular) is I can't stand when people use the bandwagon line of metal dying in the 90s.

I'd agree with that. I do think there's an awful lot of metal out there, but a lot of it isn't particularly popular or accessible. I guess metalheads like it just that way. Personally I think if there was more melodic metal, more people would get into it. For example I discovered Volbeat last year and had never even heard one of their songs on the radio. I can't deal with death metal and growling, but I like Metallica, some Pantera, Volbeat, etc. To me metal is the distinctive distorted guitar chord sounds, more so than the vocals.

Part of the problem is that there are some pretty silly "metal" lists out there. This one contains both Red Hot Chili Peppers and Green Day
http://loudwire.com/top-metal-bands-of-all-time/

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
OK maybe this is controversial, but even though I don't like most glam/hair bands, I do like Cinderella. I think their problem is that they placed themselves in the hair band genre themselves with their first album. Or maybe their manager did. But really they're more in the Aerosmith mode. Pretend you don't know what they looked like on their first album, go listen to Long Cold Winter, and tell me it's not about as good as Aerosmith. Just as Aerosmith "mark II" was getting crappy, Cinderella was getting good and sounding kind of like Aerosmith from 10 years previous. If they hadn't been pigeon holed, I think they would have made more music like this and therefore been more successful and thus more prolific. If you tour with Poison and open for David Lee Roth, then it's only going to encourage that image. Wikipedia says "The new album signified a shift towards a blues rock sound, though it could still be described as glam metal". Well, I guess it was just too hard for them to shake the image.

The name might have stood in the way of seeing them differently.
How did that conversation go?
"It's between The Barbie Dolls, Mike and The Brown Eyes, or Cinderella"

I have never been in any universe that you would not get your ass kicked.
I seriously don't get it.
Hey whatever.
Life's rich tapestry.

Slick Willie

Decisively Indecisive
Reaction score
Wow! A somewhat active thread...yay!!!!
OK, here's a couple:
Zappa was a talent for the most part...wasted...too nonsensical.
Kiss never gave their 'army' any real ammo to work with!

:box:

jeffnc

Reaction score
I respect Kiss due to their (Simmons/Stanley) work ethic and care for the customer (quality live show). I even like some of their music as a guilty pleasure (although Hard Luck Woman is a legit good song that would have been a hit for someone like Rod Stewart.) But otherwise, no they're not among the giants of musical genius.

Zappa - I just don't get and don't care to listen to! Maybe if I were a musician and got some sort of inspiration from his creativity - maybe it was just over my head....

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. If I had a metal band, I might call it "Load" or something, but it wouldn't have anything girly, or even an umlaut for that matter.

Call Doro "girly" and she will kick your ass.

Lo Pan

Indeed!
Reaction score
Eddie Van Halen= right place, right time.

Vito Bratta (who?) did what he did, only fifty zillion times better. He's the one who ought to be the household name and the millionaire for it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONVMollie

Members online