Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Motley Crue~ Kickstart My Heart

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Warrant~ Cherry Pie

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Round and round by RATT just edged it for me , but it was mighty close.....all songs good

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
From the list I chose Cinderella.

Photograph, both the song and video drove me crazy since it got so overplayed at the time. It's only within the past few years that I've come to actually like the song!

True ... I think just about every rock band with hair during the mid to late 80's has gotten called a "hair metal" band. :tongue: I think it was already agreed in another thread that Cinderella really was not.

I've fought the term "Hair Bands" with many a person on forums.. I used that term to draw in those who enjoyed the 80's rock metal bands.
It was a label MTV put on the bands because of the teased hair.. But that was only for album pictures..
I could have called them "Glam Hair Bands" or Pretty Boy Ballad Bands.. or... Make Up Wearing Spandex jockeys.. But since most know the term" Hair" it is understood what bands I'm addressing..:)

I voted also for Cinderella..

opera races

Reaction score
I've fought the term "Hair Bands" with many a person on forums.. I used that term to draw in those who enjoyed the 80's rock metal bands.
It was a label MTV put on the bands because of the teased hair.. But that was only for album pictures..
I could have called them "Glam Hair Bands" or Pretty Boy Ballad Bands.. or... Make Up Wearing Spandex jockeys.. But since most know the term" Hair" it is understood what bands I'm addressing..:)

I voted also for Cinderella..
:oyea: :cheers2

I get what you're saying but I was just sayin' :D

I didn't have MTV (or cable TV for that matter) from about 1988 to 1998 (!) nor did I know anyone inclined to watch MTV (!). So when 80's rock metal bands began having a sort of revival and people going through the nostalgia thing with them ... and I began hearing the term "hair band" my reaction was :wtf: but now it's more like :heheh: strictly because of the term and not what I actually think of the music. :) Although ... and I'm thinking out loud in the moment here ... "hair band" IMO to some implies a derogatory term and also implies a negative judgment of the music?

Also thinking out loud in the moment it's occurred to me that the term "hair metal" and the way it came about isn't too different from a certain music journalist in the UK coming up with the term "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" (NWOBHM) to label certain heavy rock bands in the UK during the late 70's and early 80's? The difference - to NWOBHM people react :bow: and to "hair band" people react :oyea:

I'm more content with the term (if I have to apply a label) 80's pop metal. That way it includes the hair, spandex and makeup and also the ones in the gray areas (Cinderella, Tesla, GNR, L.A. Guns, Queensryche, Def Leppard) but the edgier sub-genres like thrash are clearly not a part of that ... Am I making any sense here? :heheh:

Anyway, with RATT Round and Round ... omg I do remember that video being played incessantly on MTV and I got SO sick of it! I still have a hard time assessing that song objectively but I do give it to Ratt that they had some very good guitar players so that helps ...

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^^^^^Hair Band was most likely coined by Metallica fans who wanted to seperate themselves from that kinda metal. Just like earlier rockers wanted to put a end to disco..

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I think it was a media term. Most thrash etc fans ie fans of the heavier metal genres that I knew back then, were more appalled with the pretty boy pop "metal' ( Poison, Warrent etc. ) ,and not so much bands like Whitesnake, Telsa, G'n'R and others ( fans of those bands or not ) that get lumped into that category these days .

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ :heheh: Yep!! They have done nothing for the music business but seperate music lovers.. Why does everything have to be divided into teams:wtf:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Asking me to pick any song or BAND from the glam of the 80's is like asking me to choose whether I love my kids equally.......I love all the glam of the 80's.

I am not really picking my favorite song from the list, but instead the song I listened to the most (at some point, anyway)

Def Leppard ~ Photograph

to play along with Denzil:

I bump you with these guys! White Lion

white_lion_pic.jpg

Radar Love (Golden Earring Cover)

Khor1255

Reaction score
^^^ :heheh: Yep!! They have done nothing for the music business but seperate music lovers.. Why does everything have to be divided into teams:wtf:
No, I think we were already quite divided over those who considered that stuff heavy metal and those who were completely confused by the implication.

It's much better these days now that they aren't grouping this crap in with metal.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.