Reaction score
CirithUngolLogo.jpg

Frost and Fire (1980)
King of the Dead (1984)
One Foot in Hell (1986)
Paradise Lost (1991)
Forever Black (2020)
Dark Parade (2023)

Some of you Lord Of The Rings fans may know this name from one of the storie's locations in Middle Earth!! But back in the day it was the name taken for a killer progressive/doom/metal band from California!!

In 1980 we saw the band and their debut album "FROST AND FIRE" for the first time!! This is my favorite album.

The songs were not written by vocalist Tim Baker but by bassist and drummer Greg Lindstrom and Rob Garven.

The band made 3 albums after their EP in 10 years but released Paradise lost in 1991. 2001 The Servants of Chaos came out which was a compilation of un released tracks,live cuts and demos.

"We played hundreds of shows, and had a band room where we played 3-4 nights a week and people would come over and hear us. We were a very powerful band live and blew away many of the bands we played with. The only part I enjoyed being in the band was playing and unfortunately out of the 22 years it was not what I got to do the most. Near the end were some of our best shows. Our roadies would dress up in robes and bring Tim out in a coffin. For 'King of the Dead' they would slowly raise it up and Tim would crawl out singing. I had these explosive devices on my cymbals which would shoot a balls of fire 20 feet in the air. We also had this stuffed head that had red LEDs for eyes that we would mount on my gong stand. We had a gigantic praying skeleton logo backdrop and sometimes the glowing Wheel of Fate logo off our album. At the end of the show we would always go crazy scraping guitar strings, smashing equipment, breaking cymbals and generally letting loose. We usually opened for 'bigger' bands so we usually got no sound check, no dressing rooms, bad sound and lights so we always would try to play as hard and heavy as we could and finish up with a bang. It made us hard and cold and we would always play very loud and kick ass!..." -Rob Garven

Read more: Cirith Ungol on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

1fbb81b0c8a08986f9ba8110.L.jpg

ad70eb6709a0a6f386573110.L.jpg

51nly0QQ9ZL._SS500_.jpg

51zGOaTLidL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocker440

Reaction score
Re: Cirith Ungol

An aboslutely awesome band, which I greatly enjoy (although some of my neighbors don't :oyea:) and that I've followed for many years, too, MP! I have every album of this hard rocking, fire breathing, metal band! :grinthumb

Tim Baker has a great voice for this band, imo. Although there were a few line up changes over the years, all of the albums have been consistently great!

One of my favorite Cirith Ungol songs!

Join The Legion

:oy:

Edit: I must've missed seeing the song, MP, or, maybe it slipped in after I had posted that same song! ;) :heheh: No problem, I've exchanged it for another terrific, hard rocking CU tune! :tup:

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Cirith Ungol are from my home town lol I am a bit young to have actually seen them playing keg parties but I know people who saw them way back in the day playing in local back yards.

Great band I have all their CDs .\m/ Nice thread MP. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Thanks!! One of my first bands...well my second band and first real pro band SACRIFICE...had a sound that was a cross between Black Sabbath,Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol...:heheh:

I was updating the Manilla Road thread a bit and of course...CU came to mind!! :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That name brings back the whole chapter of my favorite novel and author.:D

Shagrat and Gorbag fighting over the Mithril coat of armor they stripped off Frodo, Sam's magnificent fight with Shelob to rescue his master, the narrow escape from the winged Nazgul as they fled the tower...epic stuff.

I will have to check your favorite album out MP.

Harkat

Reaction score

Epic name!!
Good post MP!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Thanks guys!!! I'll get up some more favorites and recommendations later on :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't know this band, and I like the videos that have been posted. I will definitely look into this band more.

I am glad someone posted the album covers, but what I want to ask is the Warrior on the album covers an albino? He sure looks like one.

I have now obtained "King of the Dead" which seems to borrow from a lot of classical pieces, then adds their own flair to the songs. Excellent stuff. I really like this album :tup:

KingOfTheDead.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThorstenMa

Members online