Cheap Trick (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Went and seen CHEAP TRICK with Night Ranger this past friday night!! Great show from both bands...

Here's CHEAP TRICK's awesome set list for us!!

Way of the World
Just Got Back
Oh Candy
I Can't Take It
If You Want My Love
That 70s Song
On Top of the World
California Girl
Heaven Tonight
She's Tight
I Know What I Want
The Flame
I Want You to Want Me
Dream Police
California Man
Gonna Raise Hell
Surrender
Goodnight Now

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Love the overlapping harmonies at the end of Way Of The World

No Clock Strikes Ten? Dang.

I'd pay to go see them do just the In Color album. I groove on every song on that album. Well, except for 'You're All Talk', but even that one is tolerable.

Cheap Trick is the first band my wife and I ever saw together. Many moons & many children ago.

Last edited:

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
So them in the Midlands with my wife last year. Reassuringly loud for a band in their 50's and 60's. I'm a massive fans and was obsessed with 'em in my early to late twenties. Cheap Trick ST through Dream Police they were untouchable (1977- 1979).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Cheap Trick To Celebrate Anniversary of ‘Budokan’ With Streaming, Broadcast Concerts

CheapTrick.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Worn out your vinyl copy of Cheap Trick’s legendary 1978 ‘At Budokan?’ Here’s a chance to make new memories, as the band presents the same exact set twice in celebration of the concert’s 35th anniversary.

Tune into Livestream.com on April 28 — three and a half decades after the original show, to the day — as they recreate classic moments in song like ‘Surrender’ and ‘I Want You To Want Me‘ during a private set at John Varvatos Bowery boutique, housed in the former New York City locale of the seminal underground music club CBGB’s.

PopMarket.com is offering 50 VIP ticket bundles to this private show, beginning at noon on April 4, that include tickets to the private show, a meet-and-greet, a signed commemorative poster, the Cheap Trick ‘Complete Epic Albums’ CD box set, plus the ‘Budokan!’ box set.

If you’re not one of those lucky 50, never fear. Cheap Trick will perform the Budokan set again on April 30 at the El Rey in Los Angeles, and that show will air live nationally on AXS TV, as well.

The triple-platinum ‘At Budokan’ helped catapult Cheap Trick to stardom, reaching No. 4 and eventually being named one of Rolling Stone magazine’s Top 500 albums of all time. The band will follow up this ‘Budokan’ celebration with a series of summer dates, appearing with Pat Benatar.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
25 Years Ago: Cheap Trick Release ‘Lap of Luxury’

Cheap-Trick-Lap-of-Luxury.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Epic Records
The ’80s were not kind to bands that were holdovers from previous decades. Changing styles in both sound and vision made for a bumpy ride for those who sprang from a grittier template. But ’70s rockers Cheap Trick beat those odds with ‘Lap of Luxury,’ which they released on April 12, 1988 — even if the album is a bit of a musical compromise.

By the mid-’80s Cheap Trick found themselves in kind of a slump. After losing original bassist extraordinaire Tom Petersson in 1981, the band plugged on, first bringing in Pete Comita, then Jon Brant as replacements.

They thrived as the MTV era dawned, and early-’80s hits like ‘If You Want My Love’ and ‘She’s Tight’ (both from the ”One On One’ LP) won over new fans, but for Trick, the decade was bogged down by a series of disjointed albums and a parade of different producers. By the time they released ‘The Doctor’ in 1986 they had, to some degree, bottomed out.

It was at this point that Petersson came back to the fold. The band hit the road, touring small clubs and playing vintage material, even pulling out lost, never-released gems like ‘Loser.’ Hopes were high for a comeback. ‘Lap of Luxury’ provided that comeback in sales, if not in artistic merit.

The album suffers from the same identity crisis the band had been having, and the label’s demand for outside assistance in songwriting was both a blessing and a curse. Blessing in that the sappy power ballad ‘The Flame‘ became the band’s biggest hit ever, shooting to the No.1 spot on the Billboard charts.

‘The Flame’ was pure radio-friendly shlock that managed to connect with the masses, and though thankful for the success it brought, the band have consistently downplayed the song, excluding it from any live sets for years. In fact, only recently have they brought it back on occasion. The saving grace of the song was Rick Nielsen’s guitar solo, as well as the incredible vocal performance of Robin Zander.

Other hits plucked from the LP would follow in the form of a cover of the Elvis Presley classic ‘Don’t Be Cruel,’ and ‘Ghost Town,’ another ballad.

The best tracks on the LP are — no surprise — songs written by band members. ‘Let Go‘ gets the album off to a catchy start. The rest of side one finds the guys floundering, lost in a sea of lousy production and styles that were most definitely foreign. Producer (or perhaps “over producer” would be more applicable) Richie Zito should have been beaten with a rake for the godawful sound of this album.

Not until the last track on side one does the real Cheap Trick shine. ‘Never Had a Lot to Lose’ — written by Zander and Petersson — is the best song on the album hands-down. Against all odds, it really sounds like a Cheap Trick record! ‘Ghost Town’ was co-written by Nielsen and cheese mistress Diane Warren, and though treading similar terrain to ‘The Flame,’ ultimately makes for a better song. The LP closer, ‘All Wound Up‘ — another Zander/Petersson outing — gives hope that the real Cheap Trick will rise once more.

The band perform great throughout ‘Lap of Luxury,’ but the cheesy ’80s production ultimately just ruins things. The album went Platinum and hit the Top 20, and with some assistance from MTV, Cheap Trick were back on top for a while. Despite the smoothed out sound of the record, their live shows were as loud and raucous as ever, which may have confused new fans riding in on ‘The Flame.’

One more album for Epic would follow in 1990 with ‘Busted,’ a much stronger affair. It was after that, however, that the band would finally find their true selves again. Throughout the ’90s and right up to the present, Cheap Trick have continued to release a strong run of albums that — mega sales be damned — still stand tall to this day. ‘Woke Up With a Monster,’ ‘Cheap Trick 1997,’ ‘Special One’ and ‘The Latest’ are all great rock and roll albums, proving that the mid-to-late-’80s era was merely a misstep for our heroes.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Cheap Trick Rock New York City Gig to Celebrate 35th Anniversary of ‘At Budokan’

Cheap-Trick-1.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Cheap Trick took their arena-friendly sounds to an intimate setting in New York City on Sunday night (April 28) to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the performances that were recorded for their landmark live album ‘Cheap Trick at Budokan.’

In fact, it was 35 years to the day that the band performed the first of two Tokyo gigs that were chronicled for the multiplatinum live disc. The setting Sunday night was the John Varvatos clothing store, better known to rock fans as the former site of CBGB, the famed club that gained prominence during the same time Cheap Trick themselves first rose to fame.

Stepping onto the stage after an introduction by store owner and fashion designer John Varvatos himself, Cheap Trick kicked off the set with the 1-2 punch of ‘Hello There’ and ‘Come On, Come On,’ which led to the assumption that the band was going to play the 10-track ‘At Budokan’ album front to back.

However, fans were in for a bigger treat once Cheap Trick launched into ‘ELO Kiddies’ as the third tune of the evening, letting the audience know that they’d be playing the entire two-disc ‘Complete Concert’ that was issued in 1998.

With guitarist Rick Nielsen as engaging as ever and singer Robin Zander’s voice in fine form. Cheap Trick electrified the intimate crowd with tracks such as ‘Need Your Love,’ ‘Surrender’ and ‘I Want You To Want Me.’ The band sounded tight as bassist Tom Petersson and drummer Daxx Nielsen (in place of Bun E. Carlos) provided a solid rhythm section throughout the night.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
^^^My favorite studio album by Cheap Trick. :grinthumb The ominous "Heaven Tonight", the gnarly "Auf Weidersehen", their groovy cover of "California Man", of course the classic "Surrender" and so many other. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online