CD's vs. Vinyl vs. Other formats

Flower

retired
Reaction score
LG ...

I like vinyl too .. and I even know what a cartridge is and the difference between direct drive and belt driven turntables.

Foxhound told me that you're luring women to your music room .. Where is my invite?

:wa

skunk-02-trim.jpg

Last edited:

Rocker440

Reaction score
I know this sounds odd.. But I actually like playing my cassettes.. I record all the tunes I like on a 90 minute cassette and it makes it nice since it can play continuously till I'm ready to switch it out. And if you buy a good brand then the sound can be just as good as a CD..
I don't mind albums, but they only have around a few songs on each side, so I have to monitor them so the needle dosn't go to the end of the record and get damaged..
But I love how some albums were recorded in separate channels and you get the pan effects or guitars and vocals separated..
The synth on ELP's Lucky Man is cool how it goes back and forth towards the end of the solo..:grinthumb

That doesn't sound odd to me, Thump! I also like listening to many cassettes on occasion. Perhaps what maybe rather odd is with some people that both have cassettes, and do listen to them and also have at least one tape deck that does work! :heheh: I used to enjoy going through both the new and "used" cassette sections at a local music store for many years, until that store closed down. :wa

I think only advantage of CD is that it can store much more media on one side without flipping or anything like that. Those plastic boxes for CDs are unpractical, can easly broke and made instant mess.

For me, vinyl's are best way to listen music. As Rocker440 said, there's something personal with the vinyls, and yeah, there's that quality warm sound. Not just that, there's big sleeve picture of cool artwork that makes whole thing more personal. And plus there that hunt for forgotten treasures in vinyl shops that lifts whole vinyl thing on antoher level.

This is very true and is an undenyable, obvious advantage compared to other formats! There were many albums that I did listen to that would somewhat suffer with the interruptions (especially concept styled albums) of having to flip the vinyl over and continue with side two.

I do agree with what you're saying, Dzedaj! Vinyl does have unmistakable, good qualities and in various ways, imo. One thing that I did find appealing was that with each album it truly was unique and both a meaningful expereince, as well as part of my record collection, too! The artwork is a very good point, as with most albums that I had there was extensive attention given to artwork, lyrics, special offers to buy other titles and also some albums did have posters. Very few CD's do have one or more of these cool features!

Thumper I do the same thing, I love my cassette deck and the HQ tape is almost as good as a CD.:D

Vinyl...loved the gatefold covers, like having a piece of artwork along with the music. Most of the music from the 60's and 70's does sound better on vinyl than the CD transfers. I don't miss the clicks and pops though, the durability of vinyl was never a strong suit, unless you bought the "Special" editions by MFSL, and Superdisc etc., who used much better quality vinyl in their stamping process.

CD's, love the convenience, most of the music from the 80's till now is good in the digital format. Hate the damn jewel cases though, DZ is right I have broken a few over the years, and the design is pathetic.:wtf: I have a Digital/Analog encoder in my preamp that really narrows the gap between the "Digital" sound and the "Warmth" of the old analog records and tapes. Classical music is way better on CD than vinyl though, the dynamic range and the quality of the recording process make it way more enjoyable to listen to than records, there are so many quiet passages that can get lost in the background noise of a vinyl copy.

I still play my vinyl and love it, and I love CD's too, but I draw the line at i-pods etc., I don't like i-tunes at all and feel we are losing some of our heritage for the sake of portability which is too bad.

LG, you're both quite cool, a very good exception and a greatly inspirational!

Once again, you're right on, LG! I'll add that although I don't miss the crackles and pops, mostly, they both added more to each album, it's uniqueness and the overall experience, but perhaps not for everyone and they're listening enjoyments! :oyea:

Ditto! There's also the cases that manage to break themselves while still being sealed? And those hinges break so easily, too! :wtf:

Listening to both CD's and vinyl, but more so with good, quality headphones enhances those "warm" sounds, imo!

CDs are absolutely more convenient, no question.But the sound of CDs is sterile compared with the lush richness of vinyl.

When I sit back in my listening chair and I'm playing a CD, the music doesn't distract me from whatever magazine or book I'm reading. It's just background. But when I put on an LP, I just sit there and listen. The sound captivates me and completely distracts me from what I'm trying to read.

Very well said, Hep, and I do agree! Although there maybe some CD's, as LG as pointed out nicely, that perhaps have excellent sound qualities, vinyl does have an extremely unique, special quality that is ethereal-istic! :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't use headphones at all anymore Rocker440, they bother me now and I end up with a headache.

As for the crackles and pops, in many vinyl pressings once the music starts they disappear, but for a band with lots of quieter passages I always found that annoying. The goal of my entire music adventure was to get as close to "Being There" as I can, and with the rig I have now, anything I play is magnificent, like Hep's intimate stereo listening or when I recreate the actual concert hall a symphony is played in.

To me though if many people have not had the chance to listen to a good CD with all the essential equipment in place then they are not getting the full experience that the digital medium offers. Some of the really expensive CD players have very sophisticated A/D converters built in, and it is the same to me as using an expensive cartridge for your vinyl records, or a Nakamichi cassette deck for your tapes, or a Revox reel to reel tape deck.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Just one Flower, but there are two lazyboys built into it to really stretch out.:D

I have even taken a tape measure and placed everything exactly where it should be for the best sound. Then the adjustments on the DSP to match the size of the room the reflectivity of the walls the time delay, all that adds to the "Ethereal" listening experience for me, and anyone who happens to drop in.:hab:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
^^Just one Flower, but there are two lazyboys built into it to really stretch out.:D

I have even taken a tape measure and placed everything exactly where it should be for the best sound. Then the adjustments on the DSP to match the size of the room the reflectivity of the walls the time delay, all that adds to the "Ethereal" listening experience for me, and anyone who happens to drop in.:hab:

Look who's dropping in ~

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Very nice, I have seen the Dog video before but not the Flying Cat.:heheh:

Rocker440

Reaction score
I don't use headphones at all anymore Rocker440, they bother me now and I end up with a headache.

As for the crackles and pops, in many vinyl pressings once the music starts they disappear, but for a band with lots of quieter passages I always found that annoying. The goal of my entire music adventure was to get as close to "Being There" as I can, and with the rig I have now, anything I play is magnificent, like Hep's intimate stereo listening or when I recreate the actual concert hall a symphony is played in.

To me though if many people have not had the chance to listen to a good CD with all the essential equipment in place then they are not getting the full experience that the digital medium offers. Some of the really expensive CD players have very sophisticated A/D converters built in, and it is the same to me as using an expensive cartridge for your vinyl records, or a Nakamichi cassette deck for your tapes, or a Revox reel to reel tape deck.

Same here, LG. I used to listen to quite a few of my favorites with headphones, as it both offered a great opportunity to close other sounds out, and concentrate much more on the intricate sounds of the music and the various formats that I would listen to the different releases. A couple of particular albums did have special significance with listening to them using headphones. Pink Floyd's DSoTM, BS's 1st and Boston 1st were amazing! Listening to classical music in headphones is more than moving, imo!

True, except when the amp is turned up pretty high and then there's a big POP, that kind of ruins the ambiance! :lmao: LG, don't some of the quieter passages lull you into a sense of tranqulity, until there's a big explosion that may well catch you by surprise? ;)

This is also true with master recordings, too, imo. The sound with master recordings is absolutely fantastic and quite a memorable experience within itself, too! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online