Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond (1972)

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Captain+Beyond.jpg

Captain Beyond - first album released in 1972 by hard rock "almost" supergroup, the line up was: vocalist Rod Evans (Deep Purple), guitarist Larry "Rhino" Rheinhardt, bassist Lee Dorman (both Iron Butterfly) and drummer Bobby Caldwell (know for working with Johnny Winter). Commercially wasn't very successful, however it gained a wide audience on the underground.
Track listing:
1. "Dancing Madly Backwards (On a Sea of Air)" – 4:01
2. "Armworth" – 1:48
3. "Myopic Void" – 3:30
4. "Mesmerization Eclipse" – 3:48
5. "Raging River of Fear" – 3:47
6. "Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Intro)" – 1:19
7. "Frozen Over" – 3:46
8. "Thousand Days of Yesterdays (Time Since Come and Gone)" – 3:56
9. "I Can't Feel Nothin' (Part 1)" – 3:06
10. "As the Moon Speaks (To the Waves of the Sea)" – 2:25
11. "Astral Lady" – 0:16
12. "As the Moon Speaks (Return) – 2:13
13. "I Can't Feel Nothin' (Part 2)" – 1:13

I am a big (not as big as Nazareth, Uriah Heep or Omega) fan of Deep Purple, I quite enjoyed Deep Purple Mk I and I got interest on later history of those two guys. Two bands were formed: Warhorse by Nick Simper and Captain Beyond by Rod Evans. I gotta tell you - both bands were heavier (literally!) than Deep Purple Mk I. Especially Captain Beyond, but unlike Warhorse, they are less proggy.

Here's a quote from Wiki about track listing

Even though there are 13 tracks, it really sounds as if there are only 5 with tracks 1-3, 6-8 and 9-13 segueing together. Tracks 4 and 5 are the only individual songs that do not segue into each other or into other songs.
In this respect, "Dancing Madly Backwards" runs 9:19, "Thousand Days of Yesterdays" is 9:01, and "I Can't Feel Nothin'" is 9:13.

If you pick this album up and play it - do not skip anything. All 13 songs are perfectly selected and it is like reading a book - if you miss 1, 5, 69 pages you miss a lot of scenes and details.

Some really great riffs and guitar solos Rhino made for us. Drummer did an amazing work, especially on an album opener (at signature 5/4, which is unusual). But in my opinion if Rod could meet Ritchie and show him this album it would make Ritchie pretty jealous. In overall the sound is much, much, much different than IB or DP. Pure hard rock and proto-metal!

Since this album lays on Shelf of Fame I rate this album in scale 1 to 10 as 9.

Here's a taster of this album.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great Review! Excellent album, too :)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I try and play it once a year - So, I'm due!

I'm a big fan of Rod Evans when he was with Deep Purple - great voice!

Classic hard rock at it's best!

:cheers2

Mr. T

Reaction score
A personal favorite of mine! To this day it's in my constant rotation. Anyone that loves proto-metal and has not heard this, NEEDS to!! This one is truly a masterpiece.

Great review Nololob! :grinthumb

StonerSabbath

Reaction score
Yeah!!! I borrowed this album since started listening to good music(3 years ago) what i can say of the album? pretty nice music i mean progressive essence and hard rock touches.. and completely agree with Magic great preview! also agree with you about "pure hard rock and proto metal" this album with the next are one of my favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also i can play this riff on guitar:dude:

cheers,Jordan :cheers:

creatures6942

Reaction score
Excellent review. I ran across this when going through my CD's. I haven't heard it for at least 6 or 7 years and MAN WHAT A TREAT. you definitely have to listen to it from beggining to end, as it does flow. First album was definitely the BOMB.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I've heard of these guys but never heard a song I can remember. I like it. Thank you sir.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarrenCald

Staff online

Members online