Camel (Official Thread)

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
Camel is a great band and easily in my top ten favorite bands of all time.

However, they are not known by everyone(like most second tier prog bands and yes that does include Gentle Giant). BUt greatness and popularity are often two separate things.

Snowgoose and Dust and dreams are my two favorites by them.

I actually need to rediscover them at some point and buy all their albums again.

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
[A friend of mine did recommend Rajaz, but I haven't taken the time yet to get it.]

Rajaz is good but I haven't heard it in a long time. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend "dust and dreams." IT is without a doubt one of the very best prog albums from the past 25 years or so(and even all time imo). I'm not saying that because it's by Camel I'm saying that because it's an awesome recording. Based on Steinbeck's "the grapes of wrath" it has a brooding intensity rarely heard outside of Pink Floyd or Camel's earlier albums. It might be too mellow for some but it's a real grower and the album just builds and builds. Some of it is a bit new agey(in a good way)or at least very atmospheric. Then some passages just soar and sometimes something seems to come out of almost nothing. It's a real musical journey. I can understand those liking the earlier albums better. No wait, no I can't. I think people grew up with the early albums and are biased. One of my top ten favorite albums of all time. This one really is THAT good.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You make a compelling case for Dust and Dreams Bonham, have to admit it's been years since I listened to it. For me it's not just bias that I like the early albums Camel put out more than the later releases because I heard them first I think that was their prime.

I'll be back after listening to D&D.:hab:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is true to a point, but with some bands they age like fine wine and simply put out better quality as they become more accomplished.

But on the other hand many artists have been composing songs in their early years, so when it comes time to do a full album they have so many to pick from they take what they consider their best and want to make an instant lasting impression.

I'll play that Camel album you like so much later today...never seems to be enough time to catch up with everything anymore.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Are you playing Mirage at "10" on the volume knob 2LT?

:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
[A friend of mine did recommend Rajaz, but I haven't taken the time yet to get it.]

Rajaz is good but I haven't heard it in a long time. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend "dust and dreams." IT is without a doubt one of the very best prog albums from the past 25 years or so(and even all time imo). I'm not saying that because it's by Camel I'm saying that because it's an awesome recording. Based on Steinbeck's "the grapes of wrath" it has a brooding intensity rarely heard outside of Pink Floyd or Camel's earlier albums. It might be too mellow for some but it's a real grower and the album just builds and builds. Some of it is a bit new agey(in a good way)or at least very atmospheric. Then some passages just soar and sometimes something seems to come out of almost nothing. It's a real musical journey. I can understand those liking the earlier albums better. No wait, no I can't. I think people grew up with the early albums and are biased. One of my top ten favorite albums of all time. This one really is THAT good.

Just finished listening to Dust and Dreams and was very impressed. It did have a Pink Floyd feel to it at first, but then asserted it's own personality as it went along.

Definitely play this one again soon, thanks for the recommendation Bonham.:hab:

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
^ I told you. ;) I don't expect anyone to like it as much as me though. However, keep in mind that it is a real grower. Like that wine you are pouring for yourself it will sneak up on you. ;)

Latimerish

Reaction score
For Camel and Andy Latimer Fans check out Latimerish

Last news from Camel Productions

CAMEL ON TOUR 2013
Camel is on the road for a brief tour in the autumn 2013, performing The Snow Goose for the first time since the Royal Albert Hall show in 1975, in loving memory of Peter Bardens and in celebration of Camel's long and illustrious musical career.

NOTICE: No further dates will be added in 2013.

The Barbican, Wolverhampton: SOLD OUT
Harrogate, Manchester: 90% sold
Amsterdam, Gronigen: 95% sold
Limbourg, Belgium: TICKETS AVAILABLE but selling fast
GERMAN DATES STILL HAVE TICKETS AVAILABLE.
Please visit our tours page for dates and tickets

And the promise of a new album in 2014:)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online