Buzzcocks

Reaction score
Another one of my favorite punk bands :)

Buzzcocks are an English rock band formed in Bolton in 1976, led by singer–songwriter–guitarist Pete Shelley.
They were a lot like the sex Pilstols, but they could play their instruments, and sing......
McNeish assumed the stage name Pete Shelley, and Trafford named himself Howard Devoto, after a bus driver in Cambridge. In late 1975, Shelley and Devoto recruited a drummer and formed an embryonic version of Buzzcocks that did not perform in front of an audience and which dissolved after a number of rehearsals. After reading an NME review of the Sex Pistols' first performance, Shelley and Devoto travelled to London together to see the Sex Pistols in February 1976. Shelley and Devoto were impressed by what they saw and arranged for the Sex Pistols to come and perform at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester, in June 1976. Buzzcocks intended to play at this concert, but the other musicians dropped out, and Shelley and Devoto were unable to recruit other musicians in time for the gig. Once they had recruited bass guitarist Steve Diggle and drummer John Maher, they made their debut opening for the Sex Pistols' second Manchester concert in July 1976.. After recording demos for a fourth album the group disbanded in 1981, when Shelley took up a solo career. Diggle and Maher formed Flag of Convenience, who released several singles between 1982 and 1989. Garvey formed Motivation and joined Blue Orchids, moving to New York, shortly afterwards, to continue with the first band. Maher joined Wah! by the time Buzzcocks broke up. Shelley and Devoto teamed up in 2002 for the first time since 1976, producing the album Buzzkunst, a play on the German word for 'Art'. The album was a mix of electronic music and punk. They had a very successful career and release six albums.
Another Music in a Different Kitchen (1978)
Love Bites (1978)
A Different Kind of Tension (1979)
Trade Test Transmissions (1993)
All Set (1996)
Modern (1999)
Buzzcocks (2003)
Flat-Pack Philosophy (2006)

*some of this is copied from wikipedia and I in no way claim this to be my original writing*

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Here's a couple of more Buzzcocks songs for you, eberg. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I owned "A Different Kind of Tension" on vinyl when it came out...but I can't remember the songs off it it's been so long.

I might have to give them another chance before I close this door on them again.;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
:bump:

Time for some more Buzzcock's EB.

As my previous post stated I only had one of their vinyl records, and it was eminently forgettable, of course there might be reasons beyond any fault of the music, I had a lot going on back in those misspent days of my youth.:blush:

Other than a compilation what is the "Definitive" album for this band...Anyone??

Reaction score
I like A Different Kind of Tension best, but their first 3 LG, thanks for getting these threads bumped lol, on Sunday I was going to come in and make a bunch of new threads, our beloved punk rock forums hanging by a thread I'd say

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Patience young Jedi...threads are like fine wine, sometimes they need to age for a while before they hit their Peak.:cheers:

Reaction score
Patience young Jedi...threads are like fine wine, sometimes they need to age for a while before they hit their Peak.:cheers:

:spit:
if its under ten bucks the wine has hit it's peak:bonk:
but yeah, I get what you;re saying, I do have like 4 or 5 threads I want to get in here...Television, Blondie, and a couple more, I actually wrote them down somewhere so they have not been lost in the black hole where my mind is supposed to be this time

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
No hurry, I have to jolt my old gray cells regularly to remember what the hell I was meaning to do in here...and I have so many to visit I forget all the time.:heheh:

I never considered Blondie punk though,,,much more new wave to me, but if you put them in here that is up to you.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
All I have from them is the Singles Going Steady Comp (2001 expanded reissue), but it's pretty damn good. Is it worth getting the individual records?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I honestly don't know Tiny Tim,,,I have heard that their compilation is very good, and I don't know enough about their albums to offer any helpful advice.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online