Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball (2012)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
My friend Jackie (Jersey Girl) told me to copy my 'review' post of the new Springsteen album over here to the Album Review section from the Boss Official thread - so never been one to argue with her!!... here it is in case anybody gets the album, or maybe considering getting it, and wants to add their own thoughts...

springsteen-wrecking-ball.jpg

1. "We Take Care of Our Own" 3:54
2. "Easy Money" 3:37
3. "Shackled and Drawn" 3:46
4. "Jack of All Trades" 6:00
5. "Death to My Hometown" 3:29
6. "This Depression" 4:08
7. "Wrecking Ball" 5:49
8. "You've Got It" 3:49
9. "Rocky Ground" 4:41
10. "Land of Hope and Dreams" 6:58
11. "We Are Alive" 5:36​

My Review : Monday March 5

OK, I think I now finally have my head around this album after quite a few plays today…but I swear I am listening to an out and out protest album here, as surely as if I was listening to Neil Young’s ‘Living with War’ album, or Steve Earle’s ‘The Revolution Starts Now’...it's strong stuff.

So, as quickly as I can!!....the opening track ‘We Take Care of Our Own’, a typical Bruce blue collar call to arms, maybe his best single he’s released since ‘Girls in Their Summer Clothes’…7/10…it gets even better with ‘Easy Money’, great vibe, first of the several ‘celtic rock’ sounds on here, though we never really find out why the character is packing a gun, unless he’s out to kill the ‘fat cats’ that the song is aimed at…8/10….another ‘gaelic’ sounding rocker next with ‘Shackled and Drawn’, at this point the album is kicking like a mule, this track owes a lot to the Seeger Sessions guys, but I can’t (yet) quite pin down what I think he’s saying in this song…8/10….next is the only real ballad on the album, ‘Jack of All Trades’, in fact it’s really a waltz, there’s the most beautiful, plaintive trumpet solo as Bruce’s character is obviously down on his luck and looking for work, but hey, he seems to be threatening some “bastards” with a gun again!! – talk about angry, Bruce!!…8.5/10….then we get ‘Death to my Hometown’ which is the third of his ‘tin-whistle and fiddle’ rockers on the album, but not a track that I like at all, in fact it’s quickly going to start to irritate me, it’s just way too karaoke for words, and I have no idea why a musician of Bruce’s genius and stature is here so deliberately sounding exactly like a Dropkick Murphys wannabee, though the meaning of the song could hardly be more explicit, Bruce just wants to send the robber barons “straight to hell, the greedy thieves who came around and ate the flesh of everything they found” …..but only a 4/10…. next up is ‘This Depression’ which is a bit of a funeral dirge tempo-wise, but features the most ear splitting John Bonhamesque drum sound on any Springsteen track on any album, I mean this is just Zeppelin’s ‘When the Levee Breaks’ updated with beautiful lyrics – not just about the general economic depression, as people will assume, but he’s actually talking to his girl about his own state of mind - an enigmatic and hypnotic track….8.5/10….then the title track ‘Wrecking Ball’ is up next, one of the two tracks which Bruce fans will recognise, as it’s an older song, it’s basically a love-letter to the old Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands which they knocked down a few years ago, the scene of many Bruce concert triumphs, and I love it, or as much as any Redkins fan can ever love a song about the old home of the Giants and the Jets – though of course it’s not just about a football stadium, Springsteen would never do something as crass as that on such a finely crafted album, it’s a much wider analogy of the ‘wrecking ball’ financial system destroying the economy, and it fits perfectly with the mood of the album…8/10….next up is ‘You’ve Got It’ which begins less stridently, but burns like a fuse from a gentle acoustic opening, to suddenly kick into some seriously rocking slide guitar and blazing horns, again, one of the best tracks, I can’t wait to hear this song given the E Street Band treatment live in Manchester in June…9/10… next is my absolute favourite track on the album, maybe the best song he has written since ‘The Rising’, the soulful ‘Rocky Ground’ – again this will be just amazing live, to me it’s ‘Streets of Philadelphia Mk II’ with a delicious Michelle Moore rap and gospel topping, just glorious captivating stuff, and unlike anything he has ever tried before, breathtakingly daring for a rocker like Bruce to merge rap, gospel, and soul, and yet manage to totally pull it off…10/10… then next we have the amazing ‘Land of Hopes and Dreams’ the old Bruce concert favourite which is so fitting for this album, plus I’m guessing it has the very last exquisite sax solo Clarence ever gave on record before he died, so this is surely a tribute to him, a great rock anthem of a track, actually based partly on ‘This Train’ the old negro spiritual…9/10…finally the album ends with the defiant ‘We Are Alive’ which is Bruce at his most compelling lyrically, starts off so reflectively, then he suddenly moves into an addictive banjo-based barn dance with a hint of Mexican tijuana brass, it’s just so uplifting and absorbing, this is Bruce with his campfire folkie hat on, telling us stories, almost shades of Tom Joad and Devils and Dust….8.5/10

There is very little to find fault with at all on this album, I mean really, one bad track actually, the rest is triumphant on every level, to me it’s not even the same artist that gave us the last album, I really don’t know who that was. I’m just so happy that we still have an artist like Bruce, a guy of 62 years old who is still creating, still challenging his audiences to listen to something new and different, and most of all unafraid to write hard-hitting songs like this, America (and the world) is so f***** up just now, and we need somebody to stick their neck out and say something like this, instead of all the bland vacuum-packed posturing we get from many established star bands and artists, ‘Wrecking Ball’ is better than I could ever have hoped for, best Springsteen album for a decade, and one of his most important ever, because this record speaks directly to the uncertain times we live in, it's uncompromising and very thought provoking stuff lyrically, as well as being so rich and clever musically. It's fantastic.

Coda : Tuesday March 6 I am playing it again this morning, I keep hearing things I love. It's incredible that Bruce somehow seems to have almost created a whole new genre/musical language - if you said that you could mix traditional Irish, gospel, country and western, and a sort of Billy Preston soulfullness, and put it all into one song, I wouldn't have believed it could work, but Bruce pulls it off every time. I can't get the haunting 'Rocky Ground' out of my head at all - not that I'm trying to all that hard! There's also I am starting to notice some pretty subtle religious stuff referred to, on several tracks there are references to faith and God and Jesus, and that whole gospel feel to the record that underpins a lot of the tracks is almost like Bruce going one step further from that whole 'Ministry of Rock 'n Roll' thing that he does at concerts. I love it. And also the production is amazing, there's a kind of a wall of sound he's created which is amazing, I checked and there are actually 51 musicians featured on the album at various times, including lots of backing vocals, a gospel choir, a chamber orchestra, a horn section, and of course at least one rock band, though he's enough players there to form about 3 bands!! None of us expected something of this quality.

THE END!

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Bruce Springsteen - 'Wrecking Ball'

I'll be picking this up this week :grinthumb :cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey Sound, great review! :cheers2 I actually like 3 of the 4 tracks you posted and it gave me an interest in an album I had none in previously. Not that I don't like Bruce but just not enough to follow him. I've always found what I wanted on my hits collection but it wouldn't hurt to explore his catalog a little more. The positives I hear on this is that his voice has aged and for some reason I love when this happens. Granted artist lose range with age but I think they gain character. So when an artist writes about social, political or issues about the times in general a great sage voice is perfect. The one thing I may disagree with with most people is on songwriters. I've never been a Dylan fan so you know I'm off on the consensus :heheh: but when I hear songwriters writing about hard times I'm rarely hearing anything revolutionary. They usually seem to be pointing out the basics and then bringing it together in a rallying chorus. I mean yes, I know things are bad, you are preaching to the choir, but good songwriting to me is given either a hands off ambiguous tale of a time/situation where the audience can connect in their own way or a different perspective of a situation that makes one think. As far as the tracks you posted those three tracks you posted are enough to get my attention musically and the only one I have reservations about is "We Are Alive" which for me the barn dance part just sounded a little hokey for me. Three out of four and bad though! :D Not sure if I'll buy this one right off but this has pushed me a little further which you can't ask for more in a review! :grinthumb

TheSound

Reaction score

Hi Soots. Yes, I didn't want to post links to all 11 tracks, coz then it ceases to become a mere fan review, and it ends up just being a free promo for Bruce for his new album in its entirety! They were just the 4 that I have been listening to the most this morning, if I'd posted it last night it could have been 4 others, because the album is just so strong. There's only one song I don't like, and Jersey Girl seems to agree with me, which is 'Death to My Hometown' which sounds to me like The Pogues or Dropkick Murphys doing a sort of cover version of Queen's 'We Will Rock You' after they'd all had 20 pints of guiness!! But you could almost in years to come see this album as an important historical document within the context of recorded music, by that I don't mean there will be a copy of the CD on display in the library of Congress in 100 years time, but some very rare albums become important for socio/political reasons, and it's pretty damning and angry stuff about how he views the current state of America, so it's probably worth investigating even by people who maybe aren't huge Springsteen fans, very few - if any - artists these days have the guts to take the commercial risks associated with producing such a political record. Bruce always aspired to be a sort of modern day Woody Guthrie, and this is his biggest pitch yet, and actually it works because sometimes people who start out with nothing and make it big (ie Springsteen) have a better perspective on things than people who were just born privileged, or even those who have always been in poverty and know nothing else.

So I'd say to anybody buy it, and play it an awful lot.

And then when you're done, play it some more.

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Hey TS...glad you decided not to argue with me ;) and post your review in a separate thread. It was very thorough and better than I could ever do. Plus I'm sure everyone thinks I'm just a 'fangirl' and don't really pay attention to anything I have to say about Bruce. So I'm glad your voice can express my thoughts on Wrecking Ball. My original thoughts on Death To My Hometown were the same as yours until I heard him perform it on Fallon. It is now a song that I am looking forward to hearing in concert. I would also suggest to anyone interested to please check out the performances from the Jimmy Fallon show. They were incredible. Also, I would like to add one more song to the thread, since it is so different from all the others on the album. This one has a very sexy vibe to it. Enjoy!

You've Got It

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
So far Wrecking Ball has charted right up to #1 on Amazon and iTunes! :grinthumb

TheSound

Reaction score
Probably go to the top of Billboard albums too, and every other meaningful chart on earth if there's any justice.

You really must stop saying things like "I'm sure everyone thinks I'm just a 'fangirl' and don't really pay attention to anything I have to say about Bruce" and "I know sometimes I must just sound like a giddy schoolgirl with a crush on a rock star"

Do I have to conduct a member's poll to convince you that there won't be a single solitary person on here who thinks anything of the kind??!! It's ridiculous!!!

I'm still playing it, I was most disturbed this morning to discover that I am even warming to 'Death to My Hometown' which I never thought could happen.

Later!!

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
^^^No, no poll! :heheh: OK, I won't say it again. :tongue:

Death To My Hometown...have you seen the Fallon clip yet or are you waiting till you make your visit at Easter?

It deserves to top the charts! Bring on your Wrecking Ball Bruce! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with JG's infatuation with her idol...we all have artists we are attached to.;) I just don't always have time to keep up with everything in the pen.

I have seen his new album on my Online Vinyl store, and if I get a copy I will order it from them for sure, rather than the CD.

So share your thoughts, is Wrecking Ball vintage Bruce like Born to Run...or more like his recent albums?

TheSound

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with JG's infatuation with her idol...we all have artists we are attached to.;) I just don't always have time to keep up with everything in the pen.

I have seen his new album on my Online Vinyl store, and if I get a copy I will order it from them for sure, rather than the CD.

So share your thoughts, is Wrecking Ball vintage Bruce like Born to Run...or more like his recent albums?

I'm all typed out on this album for now, and can't add much to my review above LG, at least for now. I've played it so much I need to put it away now for a day or two and get a second wind, clear the mind!! I find that an album becoming too familiar is a dangerous thing. So maybe Jackie can answer that one about if it is 'vintage'....but imo it's too different to be vintage, which is why it's blown so many of us away.

Jackie, I was meant to be back in DC last weekend, but had to change my plans, so now it will be Easter. I keep meaning to watch the Fallon clips on line, maybe tomorrow.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.