Bon Jovi to finish tour without Richie Sambora

Mr. T

Reaction score
Then again, they may very well be completing dates that have already been sold out, meaning it isn't necessarily going to be good for the fans who already bought tickets if Bon Jovi decides to cancel all upcoming tour dates.

Meaning it is one thing to cancel touring plans if dates haven't been announced and tickets haven't been sold, but what if shows have already been announced and tickets have been purchased?

I hear what you are saying. There's always two sides of a coin but I was trying to say that if I had already bought tickets (which you know ain't cheap) I would be p***ed that Ritchie wasn't part of the show. I would rather wait and get what I paid for. Just sayin'...

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. There's always two sides of a coin but I was trying to say that if I had already bought tickets (which you know ain't cheap) I would be p***ed that Ritchie wasn't part of the show. I would rather wait and get what I paid for. Just sayin'...

I see your point, so we at least understand one another.

The issue here is that people buy the tickets to see "Bon Jovi", which Richie Sambora is a member of, but by purchasing tickets to a "Bon Jovi" concert it doesn't necessarily mean they bought tickets to see "Richie Sambora" in particular, they paid to see a band which is comprised of whoever is on stage at the moment the show starts.

On the other hand, there'd be real problems if someone bought tickets to see Santana and Carlos Santana came down with mono but the rest of the band decided to carry on and perform those dates.

But yeah, I hear ya as well.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I agree that Bon Jovi won't be the same without Richie.

I agree too.

Bon Jovi should cancell the tour.

It's not right - it's like The Rolling Stones touring without Keith.

No, I'm not saying Bon Jovi is on the same level as the Stones - but you get the point.

People payed hard earned money for this concert.

Jon Bon Jovi - do the right thing.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I agree too.

Bon Jovi should cancell the tour.

It's not right - it's like The Rolling Stones touring without Keith.

No, I'm not saying Bon Jovi is on the same level as the Stones - but you get the point.

People payed hard earned money for this concert.

Jon Bon Jovi - do the right thing.

I have a hard time agreeing because why shouldn't Richie Sambora "do the right thing" and keep himself in good enough condition to complete a tour like everyone else who is in Bon Jovi does?

It may sound cold but what are the other guys in Bon Jovi supposed to do while Sambora is sitting in rehab for what could be months?

Just because a group wants to continue a tour, it doesn't always mean they are in it for the money. Some guys just plain like performing.

Why should 4 other guys in the band and countless roadies, assistants and other people who work under them put their livelihoods on the back burner because a grown man has a drinking problem?

b.o.b.

Reaction score
I was planning to attend at their concert in Bucharest this summer but now I don't now what to do :hm:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I have a hard time agreeing because why shouldn't Richie Sambora "do the right thing" and keep himself in good enough condition to complete a tour like everyone else who is in Bon Jovi does?

It may sound cold but what are the other guys in Bon Jovi supposed to do while Sambora is sitting in rehab for what could be months?

Just because a group wants to continue a tour, it doesn't always mean they are in it for the money. Some guys just plain like performing.

Why should 4 other guys in the band and countless roadies, assistants and other people who work under them put their livelihoods on the back burner because a grown man has a drinking problem?

Right or wrong - the guy has a problem...

The issue here is Jon Bon Jovi screwing his fans.

Besides yourself - I doubt one Bon Jovi fan would want to see the band, Bon Jovi without Ritchie Sambora.

It's a Bon Jovi concert - not a Jon Bon Jovi concert.

I think most, if not all the fans would rather them reschedule the concert to a later date.

And you're acting like you never heard of a rock star with a drinking or drug problem, the way you're coming down on the guy. Don't be all high and mighty and kick the guy when he's down. Obviously the man has a problem and he can't help himself.

And no, I'm not or never was an alcoholic. :)

:cheers2

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Right or wrong - the guy has a problem...

The issue here is Jon Bon Jovi screwing his fans.

Besides yourself - I doubt one Bon Jovi fan would want to see the band, Bon Jovi without Ritchie Sambora.

It's a Bon Jovi concert - not a Jon Bon Jovi concert.

I think most, if not all the fans would rather them reschedule the concert to a later date.

And you're acting like you never heard of a rock star with a drinking or drug problem, the way you're coming down on the guy. Don't be all high and mighty and kick the guy when he's down. Obviously the man has a problem and he can't help himself.

And no, I'm not or never was an alcoholic. :)

:cheers2

Nah I understand what you are saying completely.

However, let's say a Colts fan in Indiana who really likes Peyton Manning buys season tickets (during a typical non-lockout year in the NFL) and let's say a few weeks later Peyton Manning tears up his knee in the preseason and misses the entire year.

Better yet, go back to the 1990's and imagine a Bulls fan who is nuts about Michael Jordan buys tickets for 2 or 3 games only for Jordan to suffer a season ending injury 4 or 5 days into the preseason.

Does that mean the Colts or the Bulls somehow owe these people a refund, considering fine print on sports ticket purchases typically advises you that "all sales are final"? (a policy you generally see on concert tickets, too).

Does that mean either of them should cancel their whole season because some journeyman is now going to be taking the place of their star attraction?

Same logic applies if Manning beats up his wife in week 2 and ends up in counseling or jail all year. Is the Colts organization or the rest of the guys (52 others) on the team somehow at fault? You gotta carry on one way or another.

Those tickets may have been bought because someone wanted to see Manning or Jordan, but ultimately they bought tickets to "the Colts" and "the Bulls", not tickets specifically for Peyton Manning or Michael Jordan. I believe there is a difference there.

Same sort of rules apply in the music business and other businesses involving paying to see a group or team of people, as opposed to a single individual.

I'd agree if it were Jon Bon Jovi sitting in rehab, but he is not. The band is Bon Jovi and you are still getting "Bon Jovi" in the form of Jon. I mean they carried on without Alec Jon Such, why not Sambora?

Again, fans are promised "Bon Jovi" when they buy tickets, they aren't promised a particular band member (other than Jon perhaps).

So yes, I'm looking at this from a legal standpoint, not from a moral or ethical standpoint. Legally, Bon Jovi owes those fans nothing. Whether or not they want to do the right thing or should do the right thing isn't really the issue. Not in my point of view.

Buyer beware. You buy concert tickets, you run the risk of a key member maybe having a nervous breakdown or ending up in rehab only for the band to have to replace the guy for a few months. You buy sports tickets and your favorite player just might tear his Achilles tendon and you gotta make do with whoever his back-up is. That's life.

I know people have drug problems in rock and roll, but then I could accuse you of acting like a band has never replaced a popular guitarist before :grinthumb

AC/DC had to have guys sit in for Malcolm Young during tours before for one reason or another. Other than Angus, Malcolm is arguably the most popular (living) member of AC/DC.

IIRC, Metallica had to have some temp guitarist on-stage for awhile as a result of some injury (burns) to James Hetfield I believe it was.

Just because Sambora is irresponsible and never grew up, why should Jon have to pull an Axl Rose and cancel a whole year's worth of dates?

If fans get a 3-hour set of Bon Jovi music featuring everyone else in the band, minus Richie, I don't see what the problem is.

Last edited:

Fever

Reaction score
There have been a few times where some members of Chicago have had to skip a few concerts and they were replaced.Walt Parazaider was one that was briefly replaced and I think maybe James Pankow or Lee Loughnane missed a few concerts once.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
There have been a few times where some members of Chicago have had to skip a few concerts and they were replaced.Walt Parazaider was one that was briefly replaced and I think maybe James Pankow or Lee Loughnane missed a few concerts once.

Where Groovy and I probably differ is that he might be more tolerable if Sambora was just missing for 2-3 days and a replacement was announced well in advance, whereas he doesn't like the idea of Sambora missing months of dates.

Ah well, Jon Bon Jovi can manage but what are Tico Torres (drums), David Bryan (keyboards), Hugh MacDonald (bassist) or a bunch of roadies supposed to do while Sambora figures out the meaning of life? Play Yahtzee with their buddies from high school or catch up on Season 4 of Mr. Belvedere? :heheh:

I respect his opinion, though, and he has more dog years on him than me and more man hours on CRF than me, so if I gotta take my lumps I'll take them :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online