Bob Dylan - Tempest (2012)

Death on Credit

Reaction score
I had the immense pleasure yesterday of being allowed to buy a copy of this magnificent album a day in advanced (although there have been perfectly legal free streams up for the last couple of weeks, I abstained)...And, so far, I can't get enough!

This album is unlikely to change anyone who isn't already converted's mind about Bob Dylan, and that's fine. For Dylan fans (especially those fond of his output over the last 15 years), however, this is likely to go down as one of his top tier records. Quite frankly, to repeat an old cliche, this may very well be his best album since 1975's Blood on the Tracks.

Dylan is in fine form here, delivering performances that are at once like nothing else in his back catalog, and harkening back to days where it actually seemed like he cared. He's got a fire in him that's fiercer than it has since he was a young protest singer. His voice, surely, is beaten down by years o chain smoking and non-stop touring...But, let's face it, Dylan has never been Frank Sinatra. Given his substantially limited range, the man has probably gotten more apt at knowing how to use his voice than he was even in the 1960's. This aged, world-weary vocal fits him well, and it's exactly what the younger Dylan was always striving for. Lyrically, he's as powerfully opaque as ever. His narrative abilities continue to grow a bit with every new release, and here the listen is treated to several storytelling songs (all of which end on pretty bleak terms).

Many of the songs are filled with blood, revenge, bitterness, agony, disgust, and all that sort of stuff...But all along the way, Dylan keeps his finger tight on the enduring spirit, hope, and courage of humanity in a twisted world. Redemption is always right around the corner.

Track by track breakdown:
1. Duquesne Whistle - A bouncy, Satchmo-esque opener, about all the feelings and memories that can be evoked by something as simple as a train whistle. It's a good song, even if it doesn't necessarily set the stage for what's to come. The calm before the storm, you could say.
2. Soon After Midnight - A wonderful ballad, utilizing a slightly different singing voice on every verse. This starts the best run of songs on the album.
3. Narrow Way - A very strong 7 minute blues rocker about fighting to be good enough for a lover with superiority issues. As one of several long songs on the album, it manages to be compelling enough to never drag too much.
4. Long And Wasted Years - A ballad of remorse that looks back at the singers life, include slight, passing references to several of his older songs.
5. Pay In Blood - As one of his most passionate performances, and best rockers, in decades, this is probably going to end up going down as the album's stand-out track. A vitriolic, vengeful tune about the limits people are pushed to by desperation and bad luck.
6. Scarlet Town - One word: Haunting. Probably my personal favorite.
7. Early Roman Kings - The weakest track on the album...Bob's token 12-bar blues song, recasting Roman Kings and Politicians as a gang of brutal mobsters.
8. Tin Angel - The albums picks right back up after a brief lull. Tin Angel is the story of a vicious love triangle, that no one gets out of alive. It's brutal.
9. Tempest - A 14-minute long Irish ditty that uses the sinking of the Titanic as a metaphor for a world gone wrong. You'd think that after a few minutes it would get dull, but it never does. People are panicking, and dying, and turning against each other...Some are taking to art to ease the pain (Leonardo DiCaprio is name-dropped here)...And a few noble souls are sacrificing themselves to save others.
10. Roll On John - Finally, the album closes with a moving tribute to Bob's old friend, John Lennon. If it seems about 32 years too late, the song eventually makes it clear that it's a celebration of John's life after death, and his well-deserved enduring legacy..."I heard the news today, oh boy/ They hauled your ship up on the shore/ Now the city gone dark, there is no more joy/ They tore the heart right out and cut him to the core/ Shine your light/ Movin' on/ You burned so bright/ Roll on, John"

After months of eager anticipation, this record has turned out to be everything I hoped it would be and more...A top 5 Dylan record, for sure.

10/10

Attachments

• Tempest.jpg
    Tempest.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 39

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Yep it's fecking brilliant of that there is little doubt. I still think he's been on the same roll of great form since Time Out of Mind. Love the way he seems to use track 2 of every release to wow us with a catchy hook ridden number, then goes deep towards the latter stages of the LPs. This may even be the best since that watershed LP. Nice review.

When the whole game is over I'm betting this will be regarded as a golden period in his career, second only to the Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde run.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
This was a good read, DoC. I've not payed any attention to any of the material Bob's put out in the last....30ish years because I've simply not heard great things about it from people, yanno? Your review has peaked my fancy enough that I do want to check this out so I think it's done it's job. :grinthumb

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Great review there DoC...I was going to do the same but actually I don't have the time, plus nobody could top that for a great track-by-track breakdown.

I love the album and have been playing it to death for the past week or two, I may get time to pass on some thoughts on a few of the tracks over the next few days, but it would only be to endorse your own thoughts which are the same as mine.

Dylan is really on form here, I'm baffled how he can still produce something as fresh and fascinating 50 years after he began his amazing journey/exploration through life. I wouldn't say it was quite a Top 5 Dylan album, though time may tell, but it's certainly right up there with anything he has done in the past 20 years or so, such as Modern Times and Love and Theft.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
The more I play this album, the more I like it. I would agree that it's his best album since Blood On The Tracks.
I suppose it will soon be the time of the year to dust off Christmas In The Heart:)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I suppose it will soon be the time of the year to dust off Christmas In The Heart:)

:wa Haaa! I think 'dust' being the operative word!...mine has been gathering dust since I first (and the only time) I played it...though to be fair I picked it up for I think £2 (about $3) at a charity shop in England, but it still comes under the heading of 'only liked by people who would buy an album of 70 minutes of Dylan farting in the bath' :uh:

Tempest is such an instant classic right out of the CD sleeve, it's not even a grower like some other of his more recent albums, and those epic 10+ minute tracks like Tempest and Tin Angel are as good as anything he's written in 30 years.

CREAM'd

Reaction score
:wa Haaa! I think 'dust' being the operative word!...mine has been gathering dust since I first (and the only time) I played it...though to be fair I picked it up for I think £2 (about $3) at a charity shop in England, but it still comes under the heading of 'only liked by people who would buy an album of 70 minutes of Dylan farting in the bath' :uh:

Tempest is such an instant classic right out of the CD sleeve, it's not even a grower like some other of his more recent albums, and those epic 10+ minute tracks like Tempest and Tin Angel are as good as anything he's written in 30 years.

Lol, I like Christmas In the Heart for it's comical value. It's soo baaaad, it's good.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online