Bob Dylan (Official Thread)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: Bob Dylan

That is good as well. I think you'll like him if you give him more exposure. :grinthumb

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

I think so too...once I get my next check, I'll see what I can do to get my hands on a Dylan album.

JimmyByrne09

Reaction score

I must say, I'm rather excited to finally give his stuff a listen. I tend to share the same belief as him in terms of singing voice not making as much of a difference, but rather the lyrical creativeness in a song.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I must say, I'm rather excited to finally give his stuff a listen. I tend to share the same belief as him in terms of singing voice not making as much of a difference, but rather the lyrical creativeness in a song.

I have a feeling that he will become one of your favorites. His voice isn't all that bad either, sure it's something to get used to, but his music is amazing. This is a personal favorite of mine:

[GROOVESHARK]25023482[/GROOVESHARK]

TheHealer

Reaction score

Here's another great Dylan song that was left off the Oh Mercy album.

I find it really interesting how great artists are not neccessarily the best evaluators of their own music.

In Dylan's case, there are so many wonderful songs that he's recorded throughout his career but decided to leave out of the official albums.

I don't know, I think its mind boggling.

Series Of Dreams

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I find it really interesting how great artists are not neccessarily the best evaluators of their own music.

In Dylan's case, there are so many wonderful songs that he's recorded throughout his career but decided to leave out of the official albums.

I don't know, I think its mind boggling.

I myself find that interesting as well. But my theory is...maybe they do it on purpose so that for people who are really fans of the music, will dig deep to find music they didn't release. I've found a lot of songs by artists that I love that I swear should have been released.

TheHealer

Reaction score

I myself find that interesting as well. But my theory is...maybe they do it on purpose so that for people who are really fans of the music, will dig deep to find music they didn't release. I've found a lot of songs by artists that I love that I swear should have been released.

I've read interviews in which Dylan was asked why he didn't include certain songs on albums that most of his fans & critics thought should not have been left off and his response for the most part has been that he felt that those songs were not as good as the ones that made the albums.

I don't know if I believe that.

I mean, songs like Series Of Dreams, Blind Willie McTell, Angelina, Up To Me, Foot Of Pride, etc.......I think its just about impossible to consider them songs of lesser quality.

Just on first listen it is more than obvious that those are great songs.

Maybe Dylan's ears function differently than the average human.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I've read interviews in which Dylan was asked why he didn't include certain songs on albums that most of his fans & critics thought should not have been left off and his response for the most part has been that he felt that those songs were not as good as the ones that made the albums.

I don't know if I believe that.

I mean, songs like Series Of Dreams, Blind Willie McTell, Angelina, Up To Me, Foot Of Pride, etc.......I think its just about impossible to consider them songs of lesser quality.

Just on first listen it is more than obvious that those are great songs.

Maybe Dylan's ears function differently than the average human.

It could be that considering he is the artist, he has a personal vendetta with certain songs that he makes. Like...if you or I were to make a song that a lot of people thought was good, maybe its just more of a personal thing. There's no telling why Dylan thought some of his songs were bad, there's no telling why Dylan thinks some of his songs were good. I agree with you though, Angelina and Up To Me are the only two i've heard from that batch and they are great.

TheHealer

Reaction score

It could be that considering he is the artist, he has a personal vendetta with certain songs that he makes. Like...if you or I were to make a song that a lot of people thought was good, maybe its just more of a personal thing. There's no telling why Dylan thinks some of his songs are bad, there's no telling why Dylan thinks some of his songs are good. I agree with you though, Angelina and Up To Me are the only two i've heard from that batch and they are great. But...Dylan does have his own right to let it be known if he thinks his songs are good or not.

That's a good point.

Every song that every artist writes is a very personal thing to them. The thought process behind deciding which songs to release and which songs not to release is a dynamic that I suppose, anybody that is not a songwriter will never understand.

And maybe it is best that it is that way.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online