Willie Dixon (Official Thread)

Nora

Reaction score
WILLIE DIXON

24wrpdf.jpg

"The blues are the roots and the other musics are the fruits. It's better keeping the roots alive, because it means better fruits from now on. The blues are the roots of all American music. As long as American music survives, so will the blues."

Willie Dixon
is an American bluesmusician, vocalist, songwriter, arranger and record producer. He is proficient in playing both the upright bass and the guitar and is a capable singer, but he is perhaps best known as one of the most prolific songwriters of his time. Next to Muddy Waters, Dixon is recognized as the most influential person in shaping the post–World War II sound of the Chicago blues.

Dixon's songs have been recorded by countless musicians in many genres as well as by various ensembles in which he participated. He wrote or co-wrote over 500 songs. A short list of his most famous compositions includes "Hoochie Coochie Man", "I Can't Quit You Baby", "I Just Want to Make Love to You", "Little Red Rooster", "My Babe", "Spoonful", and "You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover". These songs were written during the peak years of Chess Records, from 1950 to 1965, and were performed by Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, and Bo Diddley; they influenced a generation of musicians worldwide.

Dixon was an important link between the blues and rock and roll, working with Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley in the late 1950s. His songs have been covered by some of the most successful musicians of the past sixty years including Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix. Jeff Beck, Cream, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and Steppenwolf all featured at least one of his songs on their debut albums, a measure of his influence on rock music.

He received a Grammy Award for his album Hidden Charms and was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Discography

Songs

Hoochie Coochie Man

I Can’t Quit You, Baby

My Babe

Spoonful

I Ain’t Superstitious

Last edited:

Nora

Reaction score
12 Essential Willie Dixon Songs Performed By Great Artists

I Ain’t Superstitious