Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

N2SpaceRock

Reaction score
Re: Blue Oyster Cult

Right, I have noticed that fans of BOC have a wide variety of favorite albums, which shows that all the albums have quality.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Yeah I have to agree, especially the early recordings. I always laughed when so many fans of BOC didn't like "Mirrors", I mean it's not my favorite album but I like it and I thought Werman did a really good job producing/engineering on it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time for My favorite BOC album of all time, "Secret Treaties". Took me a few plays to really start getting into this record when I bought it, but now I consider it a masterpiece. It is an essential addition for anyone who likes early 70's hard rock/metal. I have this one in my top 50 albums of all time.

Flaming Telepaths

blue_oyster_cult_1974_secret_treati.jpg

Blue_yster_Cult_-_Secret_Treatie-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kino

#1 Styx Fan
Reaction score

They had a concert near where I live over the summer. I regret not going cuz I love these guys!

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

I always liked BOC's radio hits "Cities On Flame", "Astronomy" and "E.T.I." but it wasn't until "Godzirra" and "R.U. Ready To Rock" were all over the radio that I actually listened to an entire album of theirs- Spectres.

After the two radio hits, the record had some great album cuts you could sing along to (with the help of a few beers), but I really, really fell in love with "Death Valley Nights", "I Love The Night" and "Nosferatu". Still a great album to listen to every now and then.

I finally saw them in concert on that huge Summer tour with Aldo Nova, Triumph and Journey in 1981. By then Rick Downey was on drums, but they still sounded great. I think Ray Manzerek came out to play keys on "Roadhouse Blues" to end their set.

Saw them again (this time up close and personal) in the early 90's at a small club in Redondo Beach, CA. called The Strand, and they were just awesome. Got a drumstick that night, too! Woo hoo!

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score

My BOC .02 cents goes like this, fantastic band other than their immense inconsistency. They had a cool thing with the "all guitars across the stage" thing at the end of their concerts. Their concerts were spectacular although I disagree with whoever stated that they blew Black Sabbath off the stage on the Heaven & Hell tour. I saw that tour and whereas their show was visually spectacular, it was Black Sabbath that played and were musically superior. That whole tale end of the arena rock era was hard to judge accurately (for me anyhow) because the venues were so huge and the sound always suffered as a result.

BOC were a monumental band to be certain but there is an IMMENSE up and down to their album output. First two were excellent bone head hard rockers, ST was a masterpiece, the next three were complete hit n miss efforts. Specters was (IMO) a completely lost album effort save the mighty classic Godzilla. The same is almost true for AOF & (Don't Fear) The Reaper.

Cultosaurus Erectus IMO (I'm an odd ball, I know) is their ultimate victory. Man! What an album and it disgusts me that this album has never been remastered. To me, it's hands down the best over all album they ever did because of it's original creativity and balls out hard rocking consistency. Way cool!

Cultosaurus Erectus deserves an SACD release to say the very least. Then again, so do about a million other albums IMO.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Some good posts in here, nice to see some fans of BOC in the house.:grinthumb

Kino, you should see them in concert next time you have a chance, even now they still put on a good concert, especially in the smaller clubs.

KMET, I agree with your picks off Spectres, add "Golden Age of Leather" to your list and it's complete. Sounds like a great concert, never got to see Aldo Nova, but have caught all the others over the years.

Starman, I do agree with you about them being a little up and down, but I have found something to like in all their albums, up to Fire of Unknown Origin, after that I haven't had the chance to play their newer CD's enough to get a proper feel for them.

I have a good copy of Cultosaurus Erectus, I'm not sure if it's remastered or not, I'll have to check, and it was a sleeper plenty of good songs on it but somehow it just never got much attention.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

KMET, I agree with your picks off Spectres, add "Golden Age of Leather" to your list and it's complete. Sounds like a great concert, never got to see Aldo Nova, but have caught all the others over the years.
Yep. "Golden Age of Leather" is one of those beer drinking songs I spoke of (Searchin' For Celine, Celestial the Queen and Goin' Through The Motions being the other three). Actually "Fireworks" is the only song that doesn't do anything for me. Everything else is great!

I'm surprised you never saw Aldo Nova. He opened for nearly everyone from 1981 to about 1983. Seems like I couldn't go to a concert back then without seeing him. :heheh:

Btw... I'm still working on that notification. I don't exactly know what I'm doing wrong, but I know it's something. Yesterday I was preoccupied with the USC football game and NHRA drag racing so I left it. I'll get it figured out today for sure. Please be patient.

Here are a few crappy pictures I took of Aldo Nova opening for UFO at the Long Beach Arena in 1981.

AN01.jpg

AN04.jpg

AN03.jpg

AN05.jpg

AN06.jpg

AN02.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Aldo Nova opening for UFO sounds like a good time to me.:rock:

Thanks for sharing the pictures.:tup: