Blue Oyster Cult (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: Blue Oyster Cult

You know when I was just trying to figure out my favorite album it came down to "Stairway to the Stars" vs "ME 262"(2 of my favorite tunes) & I went with "Stairway..." so that was my deciding factor.

You know what another favorite BOC song is for me??? "

"Unknown Tongue" from Cultosaurus Erectus

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Cultosaurus Erectus was a sleeper, almost everyone knows Black Blade, but not many other songs.

I just love the whole Secret Treaties album,,,it's in my top 50 greatest albums of all time collection.

Flaming Telepaths is another great song off Treaties.;)

Flower

retired
Reaction score

History ~ BOC

The band originated as a band called Soft White Underbelly (a name the band would later occasionally use in the 1970s and 1980s to play small club gigs around the U.S.) in 1967 in the vicinity of Stony Brook University on Long Island, New York, at the prompting of critic and manager Sandy Pearlman Sandy Perelman was formerly the student president of SUNY at Stony Brook> After he graduated from the school his former associates of the student activities board gave the "Soft White Underbelly" numerous gigs using the students fees thus helping to keep the band alive.The Stony Brook hosted many of rocks most famous bands, Jefferson airplane, Jimmy Hendrix, Janus Joplin,Joni Mitchell,Love and many others> .[3] Pearlman wanted the group to be the American answer to Black Sabbath.[4] Pearlman was very important to the band—he was able to get them gigs, recording contracts with Elektra and Columbia, and he provided them with his poetry for use as lyrics for many of their songs, including "Astronomy". Writer Richard Meltzer also provided the band with lyrics from their early days up through their most recent studio album. The band (with original lead vocalist Les Braunstein and bassist Andrew Winters) recorded an album's worth of material for Elektra Records in 1968. When Braunstein departed in early 1969, Elektra shelved the album.

Eric Bloom (formerly the band's acoustic engineer) replaced Braunstein, and the band continued to perform as Soft White Underbelly. However, a bad review of a 1969 Fillmore East show caused Pearlman to change the name of the band - first to Oaxaca, then to the Stalk-Forrest Group. The band recorded yet another album's worth of material for Elektra, but only one single ("What Is Quicksand?" b/w "Arthur Comics") was released (and only in a promo edition of 300 copies) on Elektra Records. (This album was eventually released, with additional outtakes, by Rhino Handmade Records as St. Cecilia: The Elektra Recordings in 2001). After a few more temporary band names, including the Santos Sisters, the band settled on Blue Öyster Cult in 1971. (see "band name" section below for its origin).

Pearlman was able to get the renamed band another audition with Columbia Records. Clive Davis liked what he heard, and signed the band to the label.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I've read BOC's history myself Flower, and I am glad they changed their name from Soft White Underbelly, just doesn't get your attention like Blue Oyster Cult does.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Next on my list 1973's breakthrough album Tyranny & Mutation. Simply more polished, stronger songs and better production than their debut album. This recording cemented their sound, the lyrics the album cover everything just added to the aura of the band.

The Red & The Black.

Baby Ice Dog.

blue_oyster_cult_1973_tyranny_and_m.jpg

Blue_yster_Cult_Tyranny_And_Mutatio.jpg

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I owe it to Ssvoogel for peaking a further interest into this group because of the Joan Crawford song he post in my piano solo thread! It's still my favorite one! :grinthumb

There's something about this group musically out of all the classic rock groups I've been delving into here that I like more than any of the others so far! I don't know what it is but I'm disappointed because two months ago I found an amazing deal at Borders for all these artist 2 packs for wicked cheap plus I had a five dollar off every c.d. discount! I was so close to trying BOC but opted for Stevie Ray Vaughn, Patti Smith and Nina Simone instead! They weren't bad but BOC is far more my taste upon listening! I wish I would've heard this music then! :lmao:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Plenty of time for someone as young as yourself Bry.:D

My favorite album is coming up next, a 70's masterpiece in my humble opinion.;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That is a good list N2SR, mine would be a little different, but it's great to have another fan of BOC here.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online