Bloodrock (Official Thread)

flellis

Reaction score
bloodrock%20jp10204832.jpg

Bloodrock was a group known for their top 40 hit, "D.O.A." They started off as a hard rock group in the vein of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep and later became a prog rock band later on. I interviewed Stevie Hill, keyboardist of Bloodrock.

Wiki Link

1970 Bloodrock
1971 Bloodrock 2
1971 Bloodrock 3
1972 Bloodrock U.S.A.
1972 Passage
1974 Whirlwind Tongues

Bloodrock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Bloodrock interview

^^^some great stoner rock! and this song made it to the top 40, no shit, kinda makes me wonder what was on people's minds in 1971 :think:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: Bloodrock

Great band...the first four albums are great...

Bloodrock 1, Bloodrock 2 , Bloodrock 3 and Bloodrock U.S.A

Just cool early 70's hard rock.

BTW, that video above for ''D.O.A.'' has nothing to do with the song....

the song was controversial...

from wikipedia...

Bloodrock 2 was their most successful album peaking at #21 on the Billboard Pop Album Chart in 1971 mostly on the strength of their somewhat morbid single "DOA" which reached #36 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on March 6, 1971. "DOA" also gave the band considerable regional exposure throughout the Southwest and West, particularly in Texas and Southern California. "DOA" was probably the band's most well known and well remembered single, partly because of its very chilling content. The song gives an extremely grisly first person account of the aftermath of a plane crash. Some debate whether the song is actually about a car accident, but the lyrics ("We were flying low and hit something in the air") and comments by the lead guitarist about the inspiration for the song suggest otherwise. The vocalist describes the bloody sheets he lies in with a missing arm and a dead girl lying next to him, as the ambulance attendant looks over him with little hope ("he says 'There's no chance for me'"....). This narrative is backed by a rather eerie and grave organ riff & background sounds of ambulance sirens, creating a decidedly bleak and unsettling atmosphere. The song ends with the ambulance siren being shut off, indicating that the patient has died and is Dead On Arrival.

According to lead guitarist, Lee Pickens, "DOA" was based on the ill fated Wichita State University football team airplane crash of Oct. 2, 1970. However, review copies of the "Bloodrock 2" album were at Billboard magazine during the week of Oct. 18, 1970, and the album was first reviewed in the magazine issue that was dated Saturday Oct. 31, 1970. There would have only been a little over two weeks to write the song, record the track, and add it to the album. Given the technology and distributions channels of the day, it is highly unlikely that the LP, with a new, freshly completed song, could have been finished, pressed and distributed in that short amount of time.

"DOA" was very controversial in a number of markets due to its content, and while it was not banned outright in any markets, the controversy did help the sales and chart position of both the single and the album on which it appeared, Bloodrock 2.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

For me Bloodrock first album is a masterpiece (and yes, I have that album in my collection), sort of can't get into their later stuff. But I do enjoy quite a lot their live album simply called Bloodrock Live.

BLOODROCK_Live.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bells

Reaction score

Wow, drag me back to age 7. I was totally mesmerized by their "Passage" album cover below (belonged to my older sister). I know I listened to it, but don't remember specifics. I might have liked the cover more than the tunes. One of the best album artworks ever, IMO. Gotta get re-acquainted. Glad to see this thread. I hope the image isn't too big.

Bloodrock_Passage_D_1_enl.jpg

joe

Reaction score

Bludgeoning but Bloodrock does have a place in heavy metal history with thier first album. How D.O.A. became a hit is beyond me. That has always baffled me and not very representative of thier style and sound from thier first two albums. It was a rapid descent to the bowels of hell after that.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

I only have the Bloodrock 2 record, but I have always liked it's quirky style.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online