Black Stone Cherry (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
Re: Black Stone Cherry

Just got a chance to listen to these guys. Great heavy southern rock riffage though when the band goes into thier choruses and melodies it's IMO pushing the line of bubblegum mainstream post-grunge. Hopefully the band will stay true to thier roots and not let thier label sway them "commercially". A modern day sounding Blackfoot with some AIC/Soundgarden and I don't like to say it, passages of Nickelback.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

^^ I gotta say Joe I think this band really rocks, it would be easy for them to sell out and go for the dollars, I hope they don't. I guess the new album will be the teller as they are moving further up the ladder. I also think the second album is every bit as good as the first. Time will tell with these guys.

joe

Reaction score

From the vids I heard Sox there is no question the band rocks. Fantastic guitar sound and the vocalist reminds me somewhat of Ricky Medlocke from Blackfoot, one of fav southern rock bands. I'll have to check out a few more tunes as going on a handful isn't really a fair assessment. I was just going on from the vids posted. Maybe it was that thier more "friendly" songs were uploaded to youtube as the band might have some tracks which might be more to my liking. Not saying I disliked what I heard, maybe there are more heavy tracks, with less emphasize on the glossy, polished harmonies, choruses, and melodies. Hard to explain in words what I'm looking for from the songs of the band. You might understand what I'm trying to say Sox. I hope. My vocab can be brutal sometimes.:D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I'm not sure Joe ,, do you mean grittier heavier edged rock with harder darker themes ???

joe

Reaction score

I'll try again Sox. I know my last post got confusing.:bonk:

From what I hear generally the band's songs are structured as follows: the songs usually start out heavy with guitar and vocals in the southern hard rock tradition, then as the band goes into thier choruses the sound becomes that late '90's mainstream polished post-grunge/alternative rock sound similar to that of Nickelback, Collective Soul, and Creed.

I think this song is from thier new album and I can hear the band sounds going more commercial than thier two previous albums. I've listened to quite a few songs from the first albums for in the most part I liked but this new song I hear "mainstream" rock. Hopefully this single isn't going to be represented of the bands new album.

I agree Sox, thier first two albums rock.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Ah I get you .. I guess Joe it could be they are drawing on all that has influenced them and putting it into their style .. Grunge would have it's part as would lighter more commercial rock. A bit like the Stones and the Beatles using what they absorbed from the USA to create their music, that's just my thoughts mind you. As for the new album I really hope they don't put too much of a gloss on their music that would be a shame IMO.

joe

Reaction score

Great analogy Sox. That pretty much sums it up. It's sometimes not easy to describe song structure(s) as in a lot of cases one needs to utilise many descriptive words and examples to try and get across what you are trying to say.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I've just given the new album a first blast and am very much impressed initially. Some catchy riffs, good hard rocking vocals, the style carrying on from the first two albums really. These guys know how to put out solid tunes IMO.

Mr. T

Reaction score

^^^ Totally agree with you Sox... the new album is very solid. These guys are turning out to be one of the best of the new millennium bands IMO. :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online