Black Sabbath!! CRF April 2010 Band Of The Month!!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I'll put in my little contribution to the thread in the form of my own favourite Black Sabbath track, The Writ:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After Magic's post/question..and my past memories I did some searching and ran across this...at least for Solitude.

Solitude is perhaps one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. The music for the song is, as most every Sabbath tune, led by the superb basswork of Geezer Butler. On this tune, he creates a soft melody which is the main focus of the song, besides the softly sung lyrics of Bill Ward. Yep, Bill Ward. The drummer. This is one of the few Ozzy-era Sabbath songs that does not feature the Ozzman's voice (although, Black Sabbath Online Home Page claims it IS Ozzy singing). Solitude also has no drums, but does feature an ethereal flute playing throughout.

Link Source

So there are questions surrounding this track as well as Caravan. Sabbath.com even says, "YES it is Ozzy singing Caravan" which leads one to believe many thought differently.

Hey, MP, I found this site which states that Ozzy is the vocalist for both songs and they give a book source for the Info.

BLACK SABBATH - FAQ version 2.0

This site says that Ward sang the vocals "Swinging the Chain" with Ozzy doing the Harmony and Wards first true solo as vocalist came with the song "Hard Road".

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
After the success of the debut album Sabbath rushed back to the studio for their follow up PARANOID released in October 1970. The album itself was supposed to be called WAR PIGS which was about the Vietnam War.

417H76FB1CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

However their record company now at this time changed the album title to Paranoid not wanting any back lash from war supporters. The albums title track was written last and at the last minute, as they did not have enough tunes to fit the record. The song took about 25 minutes to write and was released as a single before the album in September of 1970. The song still remains Sabbath's only top ten hit.

Paranoid as an album entered the top ten in America and Number 1 in the UK despite,once again being panned by critics. Paranoid also spawned Iron Man, and to this day, remains one of Sabbath's most popular songs in the history of their career.​

Black+Sabbath+Sabbath+in+the+Studio+1970.jpg

dcdc79edd7a011aa4aab7110.L.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Black Sabbath returned to the studio in Febuary 1971 to record their 3rd masterpiece! MASTER OF REALITY!! They were afforded more $$$ and studio time. The band at this point were getting heavily into drugs, as Bill Ward explained, "It got to the stage where you come up with ideas and forget them, because you were just so out of it."

0cb8224128a0883c993c6010.L._AA300_.jpg

The album was released in July of that year and made it to the American and UK top ten. The album showcased the bands acoustic side as well as two of the bands biggest songs of all time, Children Of The Grave & Sweet Leaf!!

rsz_sabbathc1970a_1246293100_crop_339x224.jpg

Rolling Stone's Lester Bangs did not have good things to say about the album, once again, but is now regarded one of the top 500 albums of all time by the same publication.

At this point the band was becoming very tired due to heavy touring and needed to slow down. This would be the end of the first three records and Sabbath had plans to take it a bit slower on the next album.

R.323-%20BLACK%20SABBATH%201971.jpg

4e6b808a8da039faeac26110.L.png

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Hey, MP, I found this site which states that Ozzy is the vocalist for both songs and they give a book source for the Info.

BLACK SABBATH - FAQ version 2.0

This site says that Ward sang the vocals "Swinging the Chain" with Ozzy doing the Harmony and Wards first true solo as vocalist came with the song "Hard Road".

:heheh: ''Hard Road'' is sung by Osbourne, not Ward.

From what I know Bill Ward sings lead on only two Black Sabbath songs, ''It's Alright" (Technical Ecstasy) and "Swinging The Chain" (Never Say Die). As Rocker 440 pointed out.

Also, that's Osbourne singing lead vocals on ''Solitude'' and ''Planet Caravan'' (I think Ozzy's vocals are going through a synthesizer or something giving an effect to the tripped out vocals)

Anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

METALPRIEST, excellent job, so far....I'm lovin' it!! :grinthumb
:hb:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hightower

Members online