Black Sabbath!! CRF April 2010 Band Of The Month!!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
BLACK%20SABBATH%20-%20MASTERS%20(BAM-2-108).jpg

Black-Sabbath-sb02.jpg

April 2010 brings us to this months band/artist of the month winner! Black Sabbath!!

Black Sabbath was formed in 1968 in Birminham England as a blues rock band called EARTH!! The members consisted of Ozzy John Osbourne, Toni Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward!

Over the span of the bands entire career they would have 22 members under this legendary name!! In the beginning the idea of forming a blues rock band appealed to Tony and Bill who were in a band together called Mythology. Geezer and Ozzy on the other hand were in band called Rare Breed and were enlisted by Tony and Bill.

Ozzy had placed an ad in a music shop window "Ozzy Zig Needs Gig" and was called. The band's first name was The Polka Tulk Blues Band which also featured Jimmy Phillips (slide guitar) and Alan Clarke (saxaphone).

The band changed their name to EARTH and became a 4 piece and recorded a few demos. Iommi quit EARTH to join Jethro Tull and appeared with the band on the Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus!!

tony%20iommi.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Black+Sabbath+Photo+1969.jpg

When Jethro Tull wasn't working out for Tony it was time to head back to EARTH but there was another English band by this name as well. A movie theater across the street from where they jammed was playing BLACK SABBATH which is an old Boris Karloff film and Geezer thought it was wild to see people line up and pay money to be scared.

From this point Ozzy had written the words to the bands signiture song BLACK SABBATH which was also inspired by the works of writer Dennis Wheatley. With the use of the "tritone" it placed the band in a much darker space musically. This being in a time of flower power in the late 60's...the band would be a shock to the rock music industry!!

In 1969 the band changed their name to BLACK SABBATH and this would be the musical direction they would take!!

Black Sabbath were signed to Phillips in 1969 and released the single EVIL WOMAN (A cover of the Crow song from 1969). Later releases were handled by Vertigo records that Phillips had formed!!

aaph2a4al.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
OUTSTANDING! One of my favorite bands got band of the month

:dance:

I'm too tired tonight to add anything other than a good old fashioned woot.gif
(looking good so far MP. I like the pre-Sabbath history stuff)

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Great posts MP. Sabbath being my fav band, maybe I should have written something about them. Time and resources to make a proper story failing me at this moment.

I saw them live in original line-up on the Reunion tour. That was 10-12-99 in Rotterdam. Playing their music since I was 15 or 16 and then seeing them live was absolutely amazing. Everybody was in great form that evening. All I did that evening was singing/screaming my lungs out with both arms raised!!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Thanks Lynch,lady and EF!!! Great stories too! We have alot of ground to cover this month so I'll bring us up to speed cause I know we're all dying to get to the good stuff (not that it hasn't been good up until now) before we take a couple days and press on!

After Evil Woman Sabbath were given 2 days of studio time with producer Rodger Bain. One day to record and one day to mix. The band played in one area and Ozzy was set up in another room and sang live. They just don't make records like this anymore and it shows the talent the band had as a live, polished act as most of the music never had a second take.

Black Sabbath was released on (get this) FRIDAY THE 13th, Feb. 1970!!

Now how cool is that??? :grinthumb

The album did really well charting at # 22 on billboard and was dismissed by Rolling Stone and critics (what do they know) and remained charted here for over a year. The fans loved it. Their debut has been certified PLATINUM!!

41b0b340dca02845673c6010.L._AA300_.jpg

Black Sabbath
Wizard
Wasp/Behind the Wall of Sleep/Bassically/N.I.B.
Wicked World
Bit of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning

night1.jpg

iogb.jpg

44b1225b9da0709bfac26110.L.png

F

FoxyPage

Well deserved.

SWEET LEAF IS ONE OF THE BEST SONGS EVER MADE.

Best Sabbath song.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
EXCELLENT!!!:grinthumb One of my all time favorite bands..
I'll jump in here when I get a chance to get something together.. But I'll throw out a rare studio song by them entitled, ELECTRIC SLEEP!!!

black_sabbath.jpg

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Hey, wow! METALPRIEST taking on Black Sabbath. This should be the fourth fabulous band of the month thread in a row!

:****:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online