Black Sabbath 13: mastered too loud

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Rick Rubin's production methods are probably better suited to rap. Brad Wilks' drumming is repetitive and it seems his appointment was due to Rubin.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Rick Rubin's production methods are probably better suited to rap. Brad Wilks' drumming is repetitive and it seems his appointment was due to Rubin.

The entire business with Ward was mishandled, by all parties concerned.(Including Ward himself.)

They should have worked it out even if Ward only wanted to record the studio album and then go back into retirement while a guest drummer went on tour with Sabbath.

Rubin has done some decent work, that's what makes this so confusing it's not like he doesn't know how to get good sound in the studio.:confused:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rubin is not a bad producer despite the recent ridiculous loudness war obsession he seems to have because he did produce the classic Slayer albums so he does know how to produce for good bands but the problem is mainly his obsession with the loudness war.

gorgon

Reaction score
Maybe we can get a decent quality rip from a video game, like we had to do with Death Magnetic. (thank you Moderus) It sucks that so much music is being brick walled (search it). There are bands I might have gotten into if their cd's didn't sound like I was listening to it thru an early 80's boom box.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I like the sound of the guitars on 13. One of the problems with the album seems to be the computerised treatment of Osbourne's voice, like they did on the Black Rain album.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the sound of the guitars on 13. One of the problems with the album seems to be the computerised treatment of Osbourne's voice, like they did on the Black Rain album.

Scream as well it was evident on too. Big part of why I didn't care for those two albums and its something that bugs me on 13 also. Agreed on the guitars they sound awesome and despite what the majority say I didn't mind the drumming.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^The drumming isn't terrible Riff, but there would be a tangible improvement in Sabbath's sound if Ward was behind the kit. After all if you're doing a "retro" album and recapturing the sound of the band 4 decades ago then it couldn't hurt to have the original line-up. Still rankles me, one of the ONLY massive bands from the early 70's that can field the original line-up and they botched it.:mad

Maybe we can get a decent quality rip from a video game, like we had to do with Death Magnetic. (thank you Moderus) It sucks that so much music is being brick walled (search it). There are bands I might have gotten into if their cd's didn't sound like I was listening to it thru an early 80's boom box.

Couldn't have said it better myself Gorgon...:tup:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Bill Ward was an inventive, as well as powerful, drummer and his work was important to those early albums. Although he was in the band as an ally for Ronnie James, Vinnie Appice also worked very well with Tony Iommi.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Mind you, having kicked off this thread and whilst I still stand by the comments, the quality of the actual music content is outstanding. A real grower. Please don't listen to it just once: give it three plays. Up there with the best so far in 2013!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I don't think you need to worry about the success of 13 Coltrane2, it's number one on the charts despite Ozzy's vocals and the brickwalled production.

However, after playing 13 a couple days ago, I dug out my mint vinyl copy of their debut and it was a revelation.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online