Black Sabbath 13: mastered too loud

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
It may be a very "rock n roll" concept to record, mix and master LPs too loud (everything up to 11...come one, etc). However, Rick (sodding) Rubin has again succeeded in the ridiculous; almost completely hijacking one of the most hotly anticipated LPs of the decade.

In short, the new Black Sabbath album is almost unlistenable, with crazy levels of distortion on every medium you care to utilise for playback. I haven't read the production notes, but surely it's the producer's job to ensure that an album isn't scuppered in that final stage.

And the mixing stage presumably played some part as the compressed sound is frankly horrible.

Why?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rick Rubin did the same with Metallica on Death Magnetic. He did a good job on Slayer albums in the past but don't get his big fascination with loudness war. I liked the music on the new Sabbath but the production was pretty average. He didn't have such a problem on the new ZZ Top album but Sabbath and Magnetic album had its problems.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I haven't listened to the new Sabbath album but I respect what Coltrane2 has to say about studio quality control.

In a nutshell, it's all because of the i-pod/earbud phenomenon. In the days of hifi/stereo gear when most of us listened to speakers it was really important to get the balance right.

I will say this much, the new wave of younger producers/engineers are not nearly the quality of the legends of the 60's and 70's, some of those recordings are still the benchmark and far superior to anything being released today 4 decades later.

Inexcusable period.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its better than being too low I agree but its still inexcusable stuff to do that whole loudness war business. Its becoming too big a trend, even Megadeth did it on their album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I disagree, you can easily adjust a "low recording" to listenable levels but a ridiculously loud recording is almost useless you can't tweak the controls to get it listenable at varying volume levels.

They should all be sent back to school, honestly this is so pitiful words escape me.

I was listening to a recording of Liszt's piano concertos the other day, recorded before I was even born and they sounded amazing.

Think about that for a moment.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree, you can easily adjust a "low recording" to listenable levels but an ridiculously loud recording is almost useless you can't tweak the controls to get it listenable at varying volume levels.

They should all be sent back to school, honestly this is so pitiful words escape me.

I was listening to a recording of Liszt's piano concertos the other day, recorded before I was even born and they sounded amazing.

Think about that for a moment.

I even find low quality hard to adjust. I have that issue with Twisted Sister Stay Hungry. I have to have each volume knob right up to hear it. Too low and too loud is both inexcusable in my eyes.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^When it comes to digital then it's a little harder to play with, but with old analog vinyl/cassettes it's a lot easier to get the sound you want from any recording.

People always look at a volume control the wrong way, it's simply a "horsepower" control, it increases the power to the speakers it's the recording itself that is the most critical component to good sound.

Digital has many cool innovations to offer, but they have not surpassed old analog yet when it comes to warmth, depth, soundstage and numerous other benefits of the old gear.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
I haven't listened to the new Sabbath album but I respect what Coltrane2 has to say about studio quality control.

In a nutshell, it's all because of the i-pod/earbud phenomenon. In the days of hifi/stereo gear when most of us listened to speakers it was really important to get the balance right.

I will say this much, the new wave of younger producers/engineers are not nearly the quality of the legends of the 60's and 70's, some of those recordings are still the benchmark and far superior to anything being released today 4 decades later.

Inexcusable period.

Brave new world eh? Technology is supposed to enhance the experience, not ruin it.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^A sign of the modern age I'm afraid RS, kids don't seem to care anymore. They put 0ne million songs on their i-pods, blast their eardrums with their earbuds and seem to be happy with that.:bonk:

This is all stuff I've talked about before, but when Sabbath releases something like this then it just makes me question what these people are thinking.

The only explanation is appealing to the biggest market, i-tunes and all the rubbish that entails.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online