"Destroyer"- "Detroit Rock City"
"Rock And Roll Over"- "Calling Dr. Love"
"Love Gun"- "Love Gun"
"Alive II"- "All American Man/Rocket Ride" tie
"Paul Stanley"-"Tonight You Belong To Me"

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
First thought is Radioactive and that will most likely get my vote.

I'll listen to this whole disc tonight though, always a good listen, even with the really "non-demon" type tunes he has on there. :)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
A good album....not played it in a long while. Ok I much prefer Paul Stanleys, and Ace Frehleys solo albums........but Genes is a well crafted,and extremely positive effort .Not as heavy as was expected.....it still has some great moments.
I went for "Radioactive"

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Could have taken Man Of 1,000 faces easily but went with Always Near You/Nowhere To Hide after much thought.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Can't vote on this one, because I don't have any of their solo records with the exception of Ace's. It was the one MP recommended as the best of the lot by a wide margin, if memory serves.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Gene's solo was the most 'musical' by far. Way more diverse than any of the other three.

There were more ballads on his solo than I'd expected.

Always Near You/Nowhere To Hide
Mr. Make Believe
See You Tonight

Not exactly what you'd expect from the Demon, right?

But then again, Gene's solo effort, was, by far, the biggest surprise for me. I thought there'd be 10 songs about getting the girl, using the girl, losing the girl, cheating on the girl, going Demon on the girl, etc. There are some, of course. I mean, we're talking about Gene Simmons here. The Crowned **** of rock.

While Paul and Ace's efforts were more straight-lined rock and roll, (with Paul's being more poppy, and Ace's leaning towards a harder sound), Gene crammed a lot of different styles into one album. *

Radioactive is probably the most mainstream pop sounding, as far as structure goes.

I already mentioned the ballads, but another surprise, and a really great surprise, was the amount of funk. A lot of thumping, plucking and slapping
gives certain songs a great Sly Stone & P-Funk flavor.

Burning Up With Fever
Tunnel Of Love
True Confessions
Living In Sin

All those cuts have something you can dance to about them.

Any KISS fan worth their salt knows Gene Simmons is a way underrated bass player. Regardless of your opinion of him as a person, the guy can play a bass.

Ironically, he's not listed as bassist on this solo effort, but you'd better believe he wrote the bass for it.

I mentioned Gene's solo cd was the most musically diverse of the four. Part of that may be because he wasn't afraid to get big name talent , which was another surprise. Gene's ego is almost as big as his opinion of himself. You'd expect him to get a bunch of studio guys, so his name would be the biggest one on the album.

But look at some of the names on the liner notes:

Joe Perry
Donna Summer
Skunk Baxter
Bob Seger
Helen Reddy
Janis Ian
Cher
Rick Neilson (who does a great solo on the remake of 'See You In Your Dreams' from R&RO. I like it better than Ace's orginal)

But the real centerpiece of all the guest stars is, by far, Donna Summer. Her vocals on 'Burning Up With Fever' is the reason I chose that cut in this poll.

All in all, I could put Gene's 1978 solo effort in the cd player and not skip any tracks.

* You'll note I didn't mention Peter Criss' solo effort. That's because I'd lay odds it's more of an effort to listen to than it was to make. What a total piece of offel. And I'm an old school fan from waaaayyy back.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah LG, Ace's is a sure fire spin every time. Great album by any means.

The Simmons DOES have a whole lot of variety on it as well as guest performers.

:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.