Best of the decade

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I looked at the lists and don't like many of the songs/artists listed. I would not even attempt to pick a top ten, I like many different artists for different times/moods.

I agree with Feldster about most critics, sometimes their Bombast is not entirely genuine but written to generate interest.

On the other hand I agree with Annie about it being perfectly acceptable for Anyone to publish/share their thoughts especially about something like musical taste, after all it's all just for fun, at least I don't take it seriously. No matter what anyone else says, if I like a band or album nothing anybody says will dampen my enthusiasm for it.

If I wrote a list of all the new music I have picked up the last two years, it would have a 75% European flavor, they are making the kind of music I like outside of the mainstream of Pop music etc.:grinthumb

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I rarely agree with critic lists, but I will admit that it pleases me to see a song/band/musician that I like rank highly. On that note I give you Classic Rock Magazine's list of the 50 best of the decade:

50. Peacekeeper – Fleetwood Mac
49. Party Pit – The Hold Steady
48. Party Hard – Andrew W.K.
47. Open Car – Porcupine Tree
46. Oh Josephine – Black Crowes
45. No One Loves Me & Neither Do I – Them Crooked Vultures
44. Ghosts Along The Mississippi – Down
43. New York, New York – Ryan Adams
42. Fat Lip – Sum 41
41. More News From Nowhere – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
40. The End Of The Line – Metallica
39. Divinations – Mastodon
38. Marlon JD – Manic Street Preachers
37. Lord, Kill The Pain – Pig Irön
36. Life’s A Bitch – Motörhead
35. Keep Believin’ – The Answer
34. Joker And The Thief – Wolfmother
33. Don’t Drink The Water – Stone Gods
32. Go – Def Leppard
31. Grace Kelly – Mika
30. Been There All The Time – Dinosaur Jr.
29. Boots Of Chinese Plastic – The Pretenders
28. Johnny Appleseed – Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
27. Bring Me To Life – Evanescence
26. I Love You More Than Rock’n'Roll – Thunder

Quite a few big names there eh? Legends ranging from Metallica to Fleetwood Mac to Motörhead to Def Leppard all made it into the lower half of the list (perhaps on reputation alone? Maybe? I dunno.)

25. Bible Black – Heaven & Hell
24. Into The Fire – Bruce Springsteen
23. Jaded – Aerosmith
22. Sing For Absolution – Muse
21. Electric Worry – Clutch
20. Down With The Sickness – Disturbed
19. Jesus Of Surburbia – Green Day
18. Country Girl – Primal Scream
17. Come To Life – Alter Bridge
16. Money, It’s Pure Evil – Bigelf
15. Check My Brain – Alice In Chains
14. By The Way – Red Hot Chili Peppers
13. Asking Around For You – Joe Bonamassa
12. Are You Gonna Be My Girl – Jet
11. Modern Day Delilah – KISS
10. Judas Rising – Judas Priest
9. Seven Nation Army – White Stripes
8. Crazy Bitch – Buckcherry
7. Slither – Velvet Revolver
6. Cochise – Audioslave
5. No One Knows – Queens Of The Stone Age
4. Chop Suey! – System Of A Down
3. Better – Guns N’ Roses
2. Anything Goes – AC/DC

Even more of the biggest names in music in this half of the list (as well as a fair amount of breakout bands of the 00's).
"But Harmony, if super groups like Audioslave and Velvet Revolver and powerhouses like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and The White Stripes aren't in the number one slot then who is?!"
Well ladies and fellas I give you the greatest rock song of the last ten years....

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-greatest-rock-songs-of-the-noughties-whos-no-1/

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
annie wrote:

Also in response to CP/M...

I don't understand the negativity. Ever heard of freedom of speech? Freedom of the press? These are just individual opinions, nothing more and nothing less. I respect others' opinions because I am not opinionated myself. I have an open mind and a very broad taste in music, from Bach to Metal. For me these lists were an introduction to music I had never heard and I might check them out. I thought others might too.

But post your own list and see how many agree with you. Or if you prefer polls, then look them up and post them.

I'm sorry, but the Christmas Eve Carols by Candlelight has done me into this line of thinking - it's a pity too cause there was some really good stuff, but the dribble absolutely killed the evening for me. :wa: For me it was an attack on traditional music cause they get these Pop stars in who crucify those songs! :( It would be like going to Church and having a Pop star ruining a Hymn - and then there are people who want "Waltzing Matilda" as the National Anthem - at first I thought it would be a good idea, but then they would give it to some Pop Star who would botch that song up - so I say keep "Advance Australia Fair".

I've actually posted my list (well all it is are a couple of groups), but it's brief and I don't expect people to agree with what I've said. I don't know what your editor does, though I felt it would surely be a bad thing to just say what they prefer without consultation. These guys are in the big business and with Musical Guru's all around the world, they would be compiling a list based on what they think is hot. Different editors would look to different sources and that to me would explain why there are different lists.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Lord Grendel wrote:

I looked at the lists and don't like many of the songs/artists listed. I would not even attempt to pick a top ten, I like many different artists for different times/moods.

I agree with Feldster about most critics, sometimes their Bombast is not entirely genuine but written to generate interest.

On the other hand I agree with Annie about it being perfectly acceptable for Anyone to publish/share their thoughts especially about something like musical taste, after all it's all just for fun, at least I don't take it seriously. No matter what anyone else says, if I like a band or album nothing anybody says will dampen my enthusiasm for it.

But what I'm getting at LG is those lists are taken seriously - it's unprofessional for someone to simply make up a list defining what has been the best music of this decade because then these popular singers are invited to the Christmas Carols evening, just so they can butcher half a dozen songs. That's just crazy. And because their so popular, there's more of that brand of music and less of something which is traditional. It was like someone was deliberately tampering the Carols so there would be more Pop stars. Sure, I can get through 1 or 2 songs, but I feel there should be music across a broader spectrum so people don't have to suffer one pop song followed by another and so on. Best Songs of The Decade should work the same way, it should cater for all Genres and at least have a couple of songs which people enjoy - you said so yourself that the lists had little meaning to you, so in effect the list doesn't capture what the everyone feels and various Genres suffer cause their in a minority group - even if it's new music! :wtf:

If I wrote a list of all the new music I have picked up the last two years, it would have a 75% European flavor, they are making the kind of music I like outside of the mainstream of Pop music etc.:grinthumb

All I can say is it sounds like you need an European critic, then perhaps they will favour your kind of music, but if it's just another dude whose gonna stick with crappy Pop music, then they should get grilled for it.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
This made your day didn't it? :tongue:

It was a very nice cherry atop the sundae of 2009, yes. :heheh:
Actually though they didn't reveal the #1 slot until New Years Eve so leading up to it I was joking with people that The Darkness had it (since I thought it was but a pipe's dream) and it was going to piss a bunch of people. So when I found out that I was actually right I busted out laughing and was simply thrilled and if you read all the comments on that page quite a few people are pissed. They all make remarks about how they "got their dates mixed up and that it's not April Fools Day"....because I suppose they're all very creative like that.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Considering they're basically a mockery of 80's glam, I think they did pretty good. Only the British! :D

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Naturally you have a right to enjoy what music they perform for you. Don't listen to this silly ol' fool whose caught up on Dead Musicians! :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online