Best heavy metal band of the 80's

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Who was the best heavy metal band of the 80's?

Maybe Meatloaf in Australia is Heavy Metal music...:ha:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

I'll take that as a definite "No" ;( :gnite:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Okay Jokes Aside, According to The Encyclopedia of Rock Edited by Michael Heatley (and printed in Italy by Carlton Books Limited!) - Meatloaf is Metal, but at the same time he puts a Theatrical sound to his music - which is perhaps what seperates his music from a Heavy Metal band! Never the less it's interesting! :-D The best thing I can come up with is Scorpions - "Winds of Change", but that was done in 1990 and a couple of Guns 'N' Roses Songs - "November Rain" & "Patience" which I dare say are Early '90s as well! :wtf:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Meatloaf is not metal, CP/M, I don't need to look it up. Listen to Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and then Meatloaf. It is simple theatrical rock music, the keyboards are the main instrument, it was Jim Steinman's band he wrote the songs and the music. It almost has a vaudeville sound to it.

Meatloaf is Not Metal...end of story.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Lord Grendel wrote:

Meatloaf is not metal, CP/M, I don't need to look it up. Listen to Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and then Meatloaf. It is simple theatrical rock music, the keyboards are the main instrument, it was Jim Steinman's band he wrote the songs and the music. It almost has a vaudeville sound to it.

Meatloaf is Not Metal...end of story.

Why are you telling me this? - you should be telling the Editor of The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Rock - Michael Heatley. While your at it you better let Wikipedia know that Meatloaf isn't Heavy Metal as well!

I agree that Meatloaf sounds different from Van Halen, Iron Maiden & Black Sabbath - I know cause I don't like them - but I've got two references references now which are also puting Meatloaf into the Heavy Metal Banner as well!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I don't need to look up something I already have a firm opinion about,,,I recommend you watch the anniversary video about "Bat Out Of Hell",,,Jim Steinman who is Meatloaf, he writes all the songs and the music by the way, tells the interviewer he was writing an old style Broadway Musical, with honky tonk piano as the main instrument.(And there is no denying the vocals Meatloaf adds are also extremely important.)

I simply don't agree with those "Experts". I will listen to what the actual genius behind the band says about what he created, in this case Jim Steinman. Meatloaf is a rock band, some good guitar riffs no doubt, but in no way is a heavy metal band. For example I am a big fan of the band "Kansas" and they are way heavier than anything Meatloaf has recorded, but they are a Progressive/Hard rock band not a Heavy Metal band.

Those experts have got it wrong and I'll wager if you joined a Metal forum, and posted Meatloaf as Heavy Metal they would feel the same way, and classify Meatloaf as a rock band period.

Last edited:
F

FoxyPage

A lot of people here don't even know what heavy metal is.

Anyways, Motorhead.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Lord Grendel wrote:

I don't need to look up something I already have a firm opinion about,,,I recommend you watch the anniversary video about "Bat Out Of Hell",,,Jim Steinman who is Meatloaf, he writes all the songs and the music by the way, tells the interviewer he was writing an old style Broadway Musical, with honky tonk piano as the main instrument.(And there is no denying the vocals Meatloaf adds are also extremely important.)

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it!

I simply don't agree with those "Experts". I will listen to what the actual genius behind the band says about what he created, in this case Jim Steinman. Meatloaf is a rock band, some good guitar riffs no doubt, but in no way is a heavy metal band. For example I am a big fan of the band "Kansas" and they are way heavier than anything Meatloaf has recorded, but they are a Progressive/Hard rock band not a Heavy Metal band.

Those experts have got it wrong and I'll wager if you joined a Metal forum, and posted Meatloaf as Heavy Metal they would feel the same way, and classify Meatloaf as a rock band period.

It's disturbing to know I know two sources out there which insist their Heavy Metal - if there's groups which insist on what's Heavy and what isn't, then they need to push to get things like Wikipedia corrected! :) Having said that I'm trying to work out where Meatloaf fits musically, I think it's somewhere between something like The Who's "Tommy" and ELO.

Does that seem reasonible?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online