Best Forgotten Bands of the 70's.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Anyone remember Medicine Head? They were a two man outfit - John Fiddler and Peter Hope-Evans. I went to see them around 1972/73. Their cause was championed by John Peel, who signed them to his record label. Probably their biggest claim to fame was that they released an album called 'Dark Side of the Moon' before Pink Floyd (1972). Initially Floyd changed the name of their album to 'Eclipse', but as we all know, eventually went ahead with it anyway.
This was Medicine Head's biggest hit single

One and One is One

Radagast

Reaction score
I would agree that no list is to be diminished, as we all appreciate music in our own way. As I reviewed the different list I failed to see (or missed) a group that produced little, but shown brightly.

10cc , with their great hit "I'm not in love". Who can honestly say that they never related to this song at least once following a relationship.

JimJam

Reaction score
I would agree that no list is to be diminished, as we all appreciate music in our own way. As I reviewed the different list I failed to see (or missed) a group that produced little, but shown brightly.

10cc , with their great hit "I'm not in love". Who can honestly say that they never related to this song at least once following a relationship.

I'm Not in Love remains a potent song. Another good one, totally different, is Silly Love.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
This one may stir up a bit of controversy but here goes.KLAATU.As much as they were blatantly dismissed by at least most critics,more than a few people on my classic rock sites have actually given them quite thumbs up.So far,I've only heard their freshman self titled release and as much at some points they sounded a bit too much like a weak version of the Beatles,there were some rather interesting moments.Can anyone tell me about later releases like "Sir Army Suit" and "Hope"?

Roxi

Reaction score
Ace

British "pub rock" band from Sheffield in early 70s.

Debut album Five-A-Side featuring their best-known hit, "How Long"

JimJam

Reaction score
Ace

British "pub rock" band from Sheffield in early 70s.

Debut album Five-A-Side featuring their best-known hit, "How Long"

"How Long" is the only Ace song i know. I did not know they were considered part of the pub rock scene. I am also familiar with Paul Carrack for his time with Squeeze in the early '80s. Squeeze might be considered another somewhat forgotten band from their start in the late '70s.

Speaking of pub rock, Brinsley Schwarz was a good one from what i've heard, with Nick Lowe in the band.
I've heard parts of their first three albums.

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
This is my (short) pop playlist. Ace-How Long leads it off.

Attachments

• Pop.JPG
    Pop.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 26

JimJam

Reaction score
Graham Parker had a few outstanding albums in the '70s: Howlin' Wind, Heat Treatment and my favorite Squeezing Out Sparks.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online