Best album of the 90s? (with bonus Radiohead discussion)

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
:grinthumb I was expecting that retort from you way back in the 2000's thread

I simply find it absolutely painful to get by almost any track on Hail to the Theif.

Nah I wasn't going to simply make an unprovoked retort like that. :D I only replied here because you called the album a turd. Anyway, it doesn't matter. They're all just personal opinions.

But I'm genuinely curious about something. I'm not saying that this applies to you, I don't know if it does... but I dunno why some fans, even after getting badly disappointed with Kid A and Amnesiac, still have high hopes for Hail. If it were me, at that point I would have given up on the band and just read reviews before listening to it myself and getting disappointed yet again. I mean, at some point it becomes pretty clear that the band you're following is not interested in playing the kind of music you want to hear! So why even bother?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nah I wasn't going to simply make an unprovoked retort like that. :D I only replied here because you called the album a turd. Anyway, it doesn't matter. They're all just personal opinions.

But I'm genuinely curious about something. I'm not saying that this applies to you, I don't know if it does... but I dunno why some fans, even after getting badly disappointed with Kid A and Amnesiac, still have high hopes for Hail. If it were me, at that point I would have given up on the band and just read reviews before listening to it myself and getting disappointed yet again. I mean, at some point it becomes pretty clear that the band you're following is not interested in playing the kind of music you want to hear! So why even bother?

When its a band I like I am always curious to see what the band will do next on their future album. Most bands who experiment tend to do so on every release in some way or another. I never dismiss an upcoming album of a band I like on the basis of being disappointed by their last couple. Usually has to be 3 or more bad releases in a row before I give up on that band.

mrJim

Reaction score

I don't give up easily if its a band I like. Try to give every work a chance, it may be 4 or so until I just kind of not pay attention much. I like it when a band experiments makes and changes to their work, honestly I don't want to miss it when they do. Now I may not always like what gets produced, but I tend not to discard the whole just the piece.

The "turd" comment was more to the point that to me regardless of what kind of work Hail may or may not have been it just wasn't good to me.

See for me music can be good even if it is not my cup of tea.

Jim

Aginghipster

Reaction score
Up- R.E.M. an overlooked masterpiece. Sadly Mike Mills does not agree. I met Mike at an undisclosed location and with beer in hand proclaimed UP to be a masterpiece. He started laughing and said "thanks, but it is not a masterpiece." Yes well. I still think so.

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Up- R.E.M. an overlooked masterpiece. Sadly Mike Mills does not agree. I met Mike at an undisclosed location and with beer in hand proclaimed UP to be a masterpiece. He started laughing and said "thanks, but it is not a masterpiece." Yes well. I still think so.

Good choice. I absolutely love Up too! It has several fantastic songs.

That's great that you got to meet Mike but a bummer that he didn't share your enthusiasm for Up. :uh:

Anyway, that's what's so amazing about music. Everyone can have different interpretations about the music and the artist is not always "right". Nobody is.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online