Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score

Attachments

• ArloGuthrieAlicesRestaurant423101.jpg
    ArloGuthrieAlicesRestaurant423101.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 59

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I had to think a lot on this one because there are countless choices but i'll go with this one.

cover_493961992009.jpg

This is one that very quickly came to mind for me but it's not quite my top pick. I think ultimately I have to go with the Velvet Underground's debut.

VU.jpg

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Very difficult choice - Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Yes, Traffic, Neil Young, Deep Purple, etc... were all brilliant and had scores of wannabe's and imitators.
My choice goes to the very original and unique - The Doors. Never been anyone like them, ever.
The+Doors+-+The+Doors+-+CD+ALBUM-395014.jpg

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Certainly at least one of the very best debuts ever.Can't make much more of a good first impression than this one.I always get a kick out of the near novelty approach of "The Whisky Bar Song" while "The End" is quite haunting but in enrapturing manner at the same time.Of course,"Light My Fire" is without a doubt as a great a period anthem as there ever was.Don't know exactly what I'd pick as very best of the 60's,but I would hardly argue with anyone who picks this one.................

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As great as The Doors debut was I have come to like Waiting for the Sun a bit better.
410Q47DCGNL.jpg

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Many people probably have a hard time choosing which one of their first three was best,the third,of course,being "Strange Days".I really dig "Waiting for the Sun's" "Not To Touch The Earth",Mesmerizing,enchanting and hypnotic in both prose and tune.I love how the recording sounds as though the record is a bit warped.Really adds to the trippiness of it all.Any song from any of these first three releases is at least very good if not truly great.All of them............

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
So sorry to turn this into discussion about the Doors, (NOT). :gig
The Doors were definitely one of the best bands to come out of the 60's. They captured the times so wonderfully. The hippy dream was in it's death throes and they bought out these trippy, psychodelic, jazz-tinged masterpieces that have hardly aged at all in the last 40+ years.

Last edited:

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
I preferably have to split this up, one for the early 60's and late 60's because imo they were like two totally different decades.

For the early 60's I'd say: Please Please Me - The Beatles

Late 60's: The Stooges debut

Imho The Beatles brought us into the wonderful, hip, and new decade.
The Stooges brought us out of the tension-high, dark, war torn decade.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
There may have been better albums, in a musical sense, (but not many!), but for me this album defined the'60s -

1)It introduced the album cover as art
2)It encouraged the publishing of lyrics
3) It was the birth of 'The Concept Album'
4)It announced in a very loud way that The Beatles were no longer a 'Pop Band'
5)It was even an influence on the Prog that was to emerge

I know other bands were involved in the above, but The Beatles put it all together in one spectacular package, and the music was pretty damn good as well!

jigtom.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online