Bands that suck at performing live

davorp

Rock on!
Reaction score
I was really disappointed when I heard "Sweet home Alabama" live performance. Wow, it really sucked. Lynyrd Skynyrd

The vocals sound terrible live :(

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
DragonForce is the first band that comes to mind. They're HORRIBLE live.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I've seen a few that suck live, but one that bothered me was Aerosmith. Late 80's or so. One of the worst live shows ever. Not because of the music but Steven Tyler's vocals on stage can NEVER match what he does in the studio. The reason for this is that the studio vocals are HEAVILY editted, cut and pasted, spliced, diced and over produced.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Aerosmith, but on that day I realized that I'd probably never spend another dollar on Aerosmith tickets. That was about 20 years ago, so I'd probably go back on that thought and perhaps see them again if they toured, but my expectations would be fairly low, at least for Tyler's vocals, definitely not for his stage presence

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've seen a few that suck live, but one that bothered me was Aerosmith. Late 80's or so. One of the worst live shows ever. Not because of the music but Steven Tyler's vocals on stage can NEVER match what he does in the studio. The reason for this is that the studio vocals are HEAVILY editted, cut and pasted, spliced, diced and over produced.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Aerosmith, but on that day I realized that I'd probably never spend another dollar on Aerosmith tickets. That was about 20 years ago, so I'd probably go back on that thought and perhaps see them again if they toured, but my expectations would be fairly low, at least for Tyler's vocals, definitely not for his stage presence

I have to agree with you Lynch.. Aerosmith was one of those bands I caught a lot of in the 80's.. Some friend would always get tickets and invite me so I would end up going.
I've seen them at least 5 times and the were the headliners always..
And of course I owned all their albums up Rocks.. But I think you just pegged one of the bands I kinda have fallen out of love with..
God bless you Tyler, you were good back in the day and you guys really kicked some ass in the music world..

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I was really disappointed when I heard "Sweet home Alabama" live performance. Wow, it really sucked. Lynyrd Skynyrd

The vocals sound terrible live :(

:heheh: I'll get bricked for saying this but I'm from Cal.. I moved to Provo Utah right out of high school and southern rock now entered my life.. And I swear to this day that I can never listen to Sweet Home Alabama.. It drains the life force out of me.
I know my Southern Brothers and Sister think of that song like a alma mater but dam..... That song oozes Hickness to me..:lmao:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Obviously, you never seen Lynyrd Skynyrd in concert or heard Skynyrd's live album ''One More From The Road''.

You just can't take one video from YouTube and judge a band.

EDIT: Never seen Aerosmith live in the 70's....seen them once in the 80's, a couple of time in the 90's and a couple of times in the 00's and Aerosmith sounded great. I think they put on better shows once they sobered up. They were hit and miss in the 70's live, from what I heard....lotsa drugs and booze, but still cranked out some fine shows.

Last edited:

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
Marcy Playground performed Sex and Candy live on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 1997 and while I don't feel like they qualify as classic rock (you can still hear music that sounds like that on the radio in major metros like Los Angeles), I don't think I ever heard a band that sounded so completely unlike their studio representation.

It was exactly the opposite experience as when I listened to Heaven by Los Lonley Boys on The Tonight Show, and then bought the CD because the performance was that good. Those guys really nailed that SRV Strat tone their album. But I digress...

Led Zeppelin got back together in 1987 for Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary television special and my dad, my brother and I were all in shock at how far those guys had fallen in terms of "sounding good live." My mom was also particularly disappointed in Robert Plant's performance.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online