American Idol Moments

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Finally caught up with this week's show.

Music always works best for me when it actually moves me emotionally...and Jessica does that more than anyone, it's some weeks since I said I thought she'd win it, and she should if it was based on vocal merit, but it isn't, it's based on the voting of the public who are swayed by other factors. But anyone with an appreciation of music knows who the winner is on vocal merit, even if she doesn't get the actual votes. She's going to have a huge career regardless of the result.

Joshua was also absolutely incredible, he has good and bad weeks, but when he's hot he just blows me away, I could live with him winning it.

Likewise Hollie who remains my other favourite and always has been, she's probably the most marketable and commercial of them all as she's a beautiful girl with tons of personality and charm, and then when she opens her mouth....OMG.

That has been my Top 3 prediction for some weeks, so I'm still on track.

Phillip I just have no idea what's going on there with the voting, vocally he'd maybe make the Final 3 shoot out in the Friday night karaoke competition at my local village pub, that's how banal his singing voice is. I suppose he is a true original in one sense, and he has some charisma in a rock 'n roll 'unwashed, unshaven, gum chewing, go take a long bath fella' sort of way, but then he clearly hides behind that guitar he permanently has strapped around his neck I assume due to nerves, and because he knows he is miles out of his depth vocally, when he did that Righteous Brothers duet with Joshua it was just embarrassing how poor he is in comparison. He will need to step up to make the final.

I sort of felt sorry for Skylar getting knocked out for a few minutes, but then when she closed the show with some redneck "got my gunpowder and lead, gonna go home and pull the trigger and blow away my guy" type thing, I just thanked God she's finally gone back to her Mississippi plantation, maybe the NRA will now adopt her for their charming TV commercials.

I liked Carrie Underwood's appearance on the show, she's quite a singer, but on the other hand Coldplay I thought were predictably bland and boring, at least with some bands they are interesting to maybe watch even if I hate their music, but with Coldplay they are murder to even look at too, as all their instruments and stage set is covered in dayglo graffiti for some reason.

Last edited:

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I am absolutely relieved to see Skylar go. Everything about that girl just grated my nerves, and there just doesn't need to be another country winner this year. Sorry TS I know you're a fan but Hollie has GOT to go next followed by Phillip. Jessica just blew me away and her Joe Cocker performance is easily now one of my top five Idol performances ever.

TheSound

Reaction score
Why were the judges banging on about 'Proud Mary' being a Tina Turner song? Sure Tina had a hit with a cover version, but you'd think they would know that Proud Mary is a very famous John Fogerty song, and was Creedence Clearwater Revival hit before Tina Turner did it. I'm not even sure if Little 'Miami' Steven Van Zant didn't make the same mistake when he was talking about it on the show, I can maybe understand J-Lo getting it wrong, but an old rocker like Steve van Zant should know better.

runtfan

Reaction score
Why were the judges banging on about 'Proud Mary' being a Tina Turner song? Sure Tina had a hit with a cover version, but you'd think they would know that Proud Mary is a very famous John Fogerty song, and was Creedence Clearwater Revival hit before Tina Turner did it. I'm not even sure if Little 'Miami' Steven Van Zant didn't make the same mistake when he was talking about it on the show, I can maybe understand J-Lo getting it wrong, but an old rocker like Steve van Zant should know better.

Yeah, but Jessica was clearly doing the Tina version, not CCR's. This has happened before on AI, where a tune gets credited to someone who did a second or third generation cover tune. Contestants have sung "Without You" and Mariah Carey's version is what they're covering, not Nillson's ( or Heart's for that matter). It's kind of a bummer, but AI's core audience ( the younger crowd)probably doesn't really care who did what, first, since alot of the tunes that are sung are from before they were born anyway.

TheSound

Reaction score
I actually think the producer of AI are quite dim in the first place for forcing 16 year olds to sing 60's rock standards from an era when their grandparents were buying albums, instead of giving them material more geared towards a 2012 audience, the stuff they often (though not always) sing on the show is totally irrelevant to the style of music they will be recording if they ever become professional artists, Tina's version was 1970, Fogerty's was 1969, both of which were almost 30 years before Jessica was even born. I love AI but it's quite a conservative/retarded format in many ways.

runtfan

Reaction score
I actually think the producer of AI are quite dim in the first place for forcing 16 year olds to sing 60's rock standards from an era when their grandparents were buying albums, instead of giving them material more geared towards a 2012 audience, the stuff they often (though not always) sing on the show is totally irrelevant to the style of music they will be recording if they ever become professional artists, Tina's version was 1970, Fogerty's was 1969, both of which were almost 30 years before Jessica was even born. I love AI but it's quite a conservative/retarded format in many ways.

Yeah, it IS kinda strange that much of the music they sing is from before they were born ( in some cases probably before their parents were born as well). On the other hand, it's pretty shrewd since a (probably large) segment of the audience ( the segment I'm in) isn't likely to tune in every week to hear Lady Gaga or Justin Timberlake covers. Frankly the Motown shows or 60's or 70's shows are the most entertaining. And yes, part of why I say that is that those are ( IMHO) much better songs that have already survived a generation or two - and also they happen to be songs that I'm familiar with, and have been most of my life. Also, it's good for the contestants to be put in uncomfortable, unfamiliar situations. The real talents won't even flinch. The posers will be exposed.

TheSound

Reaction score
Yes, I think that it's good to have some oldies for all the reasons you have stated, but not to build a whole programme around just one era of songs, I'd like to hear more stuff being sung that the kids on stage can relate to, and their voices suit.

Fever

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't be tuning in if they were playing current music.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Members online