Against Me - Searching For a Former Clarity (2005)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Against_Me!_-_Searching_for_a_Former_Clarity.jpg

1. Miami
2. Mediocrity Gets You Pears (The Shaker)
3. Justin
4. Unprotected Sex with Multiple Partners
5. From Her Lips to God's Ears (The Energizer)
6. Violence
7. Pretty Girls (The Mover)
8. How Low
9. Joy
10. Holy Shit!
11. Even at Our Worst We're Still Better Than Most (The Roller)
12. Problems
13. Don't Lose Touch
14. Searching for a Former Clarity

"Searching For A Former Clarity" is the third album from punk rock band Against Me! and was released in 2005. It's been called a concept album by frontman and lyricist Tom Gabel and dives deep into the status of politics, the music industry, and the world itself.

What initially drew me to this album was the song "Holy Shit!" and it's satire of stale music. My interest was peaked and I jumped into the rest of the album. Right from the get go I was very impressed with the lyrics and as I consider lyrical content to be the single most important attribute in punk music that made this album shine far brighter than the countless lackluster punk albums out there today. Upon multiple listens the depth of this album became much more apparent.

What Against Me! is able to do with this album is successfully blend punk rock, country, and folk music and with different tempos, chords, and the previously mentioned extraordinary lyrics. This makes it exceedingly deep by punk rock standards because "Searching For A Former Clarity" doesn't just run through song after song with power chords at the same tempo. This is incredibly refreshing in the very tired genre of punk rock.

Ideally this is an album that should be listened to more than once but 47 minutes might be too long for some people to listen to lead singer Tom Gabel. He actually is a very accurate singer who doesn't miss notes or anything but he has a gravely, shouting style of singing that appears in most of the songs on the album. Now even though that is the most common complaint with this album and Against Me! as a band in general I happen to like his voice because it is distinctive and he knows how to use it so....eye of the behold.

Overall I'd give this album a 9 out of 10.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Searching For a Former Clarity ~~~ Against Me!

Excellent review, Cosmic. I never have been a fan of punk rock, so it is no surprise that I had never heard this group before. I did give a listen to a couple of the posted videos, and musically, the band is not bad. There is a ton of irony in the lyrics and a lot of "read between the lines".....which means I would interpret this album differently than you.

I love all the acoustic guitar work, other than that I am not real hip to this type of music.........

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well even if you're not much of a fan thanks for stopping by, Magic. At least you found some things about it you liked, right? :D

The "read between the lines" aspect is why I think this album ideally should be listened to more than once.

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great review Cosmic & thanks a million for posting the 5 songs! I've seen Against Me mentioned in a magazine or 2 & on the net but I never gave them a thought. Reading your review peaked my interest & when you wrote "Ideally this is an album that should be listened to more than once but 47 minutes might be too long for some people to listen to lead singer Tom Gabel." it really had me curious (if I could barely last through Brian Johnson's voice on AC/DC's 15 song Black Ice album how could I not be curious about Gabel's voice for 47 minutes!!) I checked out the 5 songs & love it!!!! I will definitely be getting this one & I liked Gabel's voice but then again I am a Punk fan

Thanks again Cosmic!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Wow well I'm glad my review got you so interest Bucky. :) I tried to pick out some of the most interesting songs from the album to post as opposed to just my favorites (which would have included the title track, "Problems", and "Holy Shit!" as well). I like Tom's voice too. He's a good punk singer.

Against Me! is gaining a lot of new support which each new album but I think this is their best by a landslide.

Thanks for reading. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online