A collector's worst nightmare:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I have a problem.

And I mean, a really big problem.

How big of a problem are we talking?

I'd say it's over 200 LPs worth of a problem.

I'm moving from one end of the country to another. Possibly just with a one-way flight. Now here's the question of the century.

How am I supposed to ship over 200 LPs?
I'm thinking of just weeding through my collection and picking my favourites but still. How does someone ship a large amount of records for a flat-rate price?

This is at the top of my list of things that must be accomplished within the next few months. Because I am an addict.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Another reason that CDs > LP.

(i know, not what you wanted to hear). My suggestion, even though you don't want to hear it, is that you record everything digitially somehow, someway, and sell off whatever you don't REALLY "need" to have.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Or just ask you to go on a cross-country road trip with me.

HOW BOUT IT LYNCH.

but yeah.
it's a problem.

I sort of regret having a collection this large but yeah.
I think I'll just ship my treasures first.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Road trip? HELL YES!

And I'm thinking you could insure them in the mail or FedEx, but I'm not sure if it would be hella expensive to do so or not.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
The only thing I can think off is a crate packed with heavy foam. The road trip would be better... Taking the scenic route while having the opportunity to check in on your precious lot.

bells

Reaction score
Packing & mailing 200 albums might cost a fortune. I've moved cross country many times and here are things I've either done or priced (which included my albums, though I didn't have as many):

- Driven my car or pickup truck, loaded down, or pulled a trailer.
- Flew, but shipped my stuff to my destination by renting space on a huge tractor trailer (like ABF-Freight). You pack the trailer. You can rent even a small amount of space; they combine you with a few other folks.
- Bought a cargo van, drove to destination, and sold the van on the other end.
- Packed my stuff and shipped it via Amtrak or Greyhound (don't know if they still do it if you're not a passenger as well). Or be their passenger and haul it with you.
- Drove someone's car I didn't know (it's called a "driveaway") and returned it to them on the other end.
- Pack it all into a U-Pack type "moving pod" and a truck will haul it for you.
- Seriously downsize to the point of fitting everything you own in a car.

You may have thought of all those things already, but just in case. If you're moving all your belongings (i.e. not leaving anything behind) it might be worth it in the long run to not fly (so you don't have to have things shipped to you later). Oops, I may have digressed; you were just asking about albums. :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
USPS would, and so would UPS (Brown Store), but you'll end up paying for it as it will NOT be cheap. Vinyl is kinda heavy. Also, if you do go that route, you'll want to make sure you label the boxes appropriately (ie: "Fragile" and "Meltable Wax, don't store by the furnace")

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Shit.

Why must mt life as a retro girl be such a pain in the ass? I'm leaving behind hundreds of CDs and basically everything else apart from my best clothes.

Oi.

Also keep in mind that I live in an area where there are no companies to do moving for you, or anything like that.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
If it were me, and my vinyl albums were massively important and in great condition I would ship them using a courier. Expensive yes, but insured and labeled properly they would be in great condition when they arrived at your new home.

USPS,,,I've had good luck with them when I was active on e-bay but I would prefer FedEx or UPS for my valuables.

Phone and get a quote and then make your decision, I must say many people leave their vinyl records behind never get them back, even family can be undependable when it comes to things like this.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online