A collector's worst nightmare:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
If it were me, and my vinyl albums were massively important and in great condition I would ship them using a courier. Expensive yes, but insured and labeled properly they would be in great condition when they arrived at your new home.

USPS,,,I've had good luck with them when I was active on e-bay but I would prefer FedEx or UPS for my valuables.

Phone and get a quote and then make your decision, I must say many people leave their vinyl records behind never get them back, even family can be undependable when it comes to things like this.

FedEx would be tolerable.

I don't trust my collection in the hands of my parents, because according to them, "they're just records". Some people really have no clue ...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Plan B would be to "sell" the ones you can part with, keep only the special/rare/precious ones you simply can't part with.

Keep the money and go shopping at vinyl shops in your new home.

Of course you might not be able to find all the ones you sold, but that makes it more manageable.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Sorry for your dilemma. I have never shipped records, only ever driven cross country.

Just out of curiosity, I grabbed 40 record albums and weighed them on a digital bathroom scale. They weighed right around 25 pounds. So by that figure, 200 albums should be around 125 pounds, give or take.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
I feel ya, Lady.

When I moved back in January, my dad drove me to my friend's house in Arizona, because we were moving up here together. I brought my box of records with me, of course...Only for them not to be able to fit in my friend's car with the rest of our stuff. So, I had to leave all of them (and my nice new record player) behind in Arizona with a complete stranger. I have no idea if I'll ever see them again...or why we couldn't have left some of my friend's crap instead.

If I were you (or could do it all over again), I'd leave them with a trusted friend or family member who will watch over them for you until you're in a proper position to retrieve them.

opera races

Reaction score
Wow lady, I’m feeling for you! You have “only” 200 albums though! I moved 2,300 vinyl record albums 3 miles to a new residence using my car a few years ago ... never mind my CD’s, cassettes (not that many), 45’s (only two boxes), etc. Yeah it was a pain in the a$$ and to all my muscles and a bit time consuming but worth it to me! I’ve been (seriously) considering doing a “quality vs. quantity” project where I do some serious weeding out but even at that if I had to suddenly move cross county or leave the country and wanted to take my records with me ... hmmm ... It’s been over 20 years since I did a serious long distance full blown move!

I need to catch up on you a bit – you do have a driver’s license and have done a reasonable amount of driving and are over 21? (or at least over 18 different places having different rules which I’ll explain in a bit)

Honestly the way I’m wired is I’m thinking ROAD TRIP and ADVENTURE!!! To me driving all over the country including cross country (N-S, E-W) by myself (sometimes with one other person) and often in a vehicle loaded down with stuff and at least two instances towing a trailer is no big deal to me and kinda fun! If you haven’t done that sort of thing a lot or at all I can understand you being a bit skittish about it. Think of all the great music you can listen to while driving from point A to point B!

I get it that if you’re young and don’t have a credit card it’s a huge pain in the a$$ to rent a car – I’m old and have a credit card and still find it a huge pain in the a$$ to rent a car so I don’t unless I absolutely have to like my recent trip where I needed to get around WI/IL – but if you can pull off renting a good size sedan for a one-way trip I would say go for it! I’m pretty sure 200 records albums can fit in a decent size four-door car plus you would have a certain amount of “climate control” for them?

Then there’s U-Haul. Obviously you can’t rent a trailer if you don’t have a vehicle – but what about the smallest of their enclosed moving trucks? Or a van?

In 1984 I rented a smallish U-Haul trailer, attached it to a car that by all rights should have left me stranded in the middle of nowhere ... and almost did ... we won’t contemplate that right now ... and drove from San Antonio, TX to Albuquerque, NM overnight. This included all my records at the time I’m pretty sure. I had no credit and had already closed my bank accounts so I’m assuming they took ca$h lol ... but then that was over 25 years ago and maybe U-Haul isn’t so trusting any more!

SIGH the one really bad thing about the road trip method is the price of gas these days ...

As far as shipping ... I already see Greyhound is not considered an option ... I was ready to suggest that. Is there someone at the other end already who can receive your records? I would say use Fed EX GROUND or UPS GROUND and begin shipping your records ahead maybe 20-50 at a time or something like that to your friend at the other end. Do some research on exactly how they should be packed.

Doing a little thinking out loud ... when I moved to San Antonio, TX about 30 years ago I shipped a bunch of stuff ahead of time, mostly UPS and a few boxes via Greyhound, didn’t really know what I was doing but everything got there and at that time I think I had “only” about 200 vinyl records. I know they got there ok come to think of it I have a picture of my then roommate’s cat checking out my records after I unpacked them! When I moved to Albuquerque a couple years later I sent some boxes ahead of me but mostly packed everything (not that much really) including my records (maybe about 300 at that point?) in the U-Haul trailer.

Then there’s some of the odd alternatives like bells was saying above ... do some networking and see if someone is driving out your way any time soon and can take your records with them ... or I think there used to be driving services or ppl advertising they would drive packages, etc. to your destination but maybe that’s not really done any more and it is tough to trust people you don’t know in situations like that.

I hope you can somehow get your records to where you’re going. I think if you’re determined, it will happen!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Ohhh my goodness, what a post....! I'm gonna have to cut this in bits.

Wow lady, I’m feeling for you! You have “only” 200 albums though! I moved 2,300 vinyl record albums 3 miles to a new residence using my car a few years ago ... never mind my CD’s, cassettes (not that many), 45’s (only two boxes), etc. Yeah it was a pain in the a$$ and to all my muscles and a bit time consuming but worth it to me! I’ve been (seriously) considering doing a “quality vs. quantity” project where I do some serious weeding out but even at that if I had to suddenly move cross county or leave the country and wanted to take my records with me ... hmmm ... It’s been over 20 years since I did a serious long distance full blown move!

Oh my word. 2,300. That's amazing! I think I'd be devastated, though, if my collection were as large. I foresee a lot of moving in my lifetime (my husband is in the army) so I'm iffy about what I'll do with them in the future as well. I have to weed them out and figure out what I really, really like vs. what I could possibly leave in the care of my father (*cringe*). I'll have to leave my phonograph as well (it's really not that fabulous or anything anyway) and eventually buy a new one - so what I leave can be played - maybe my sister will like some of the records...?

Last time I moved I was 18 years old. I only had less than 25 LPs around that time, and I had shipped them all together in a large box with ample padding. About 1,000 miles. I moved from Northern Minnesota to Southwestern Ohio. (When I moved back, I had a larger amount of LPs but I was driven back up here, so it wasn't a hassle.)

I need to catch up on you a bit – you do have a driver’s license and have done a reasonable amount of driving and are over 21? (or at least over 18 different places having different rules which I’ll explain in a bit)

I do indeed have a valid drivers' license. I'm 22 years old. I didn't get my license til I was 19. The last time I've driven was in late May, and that was because I was borrowing a rental. Due to the economy and my finances I haven't actually regularly driven a car that I was personally caring for, for about 2 years now. I borrowed vehicles from my ex and his family (long story, not worth getting into) last year and the year before, but I haven't actually owned a car since 2008.

Honestly the way I’m wired is I’m thinking ROAD TRIP and ADVENTURE!!! To me driving all over the country including cross country (N-S, E-W) by myself (sometimes with one other person) and often in a vehicle loaded down with stuff and at least two instances towing a trailer is no big deal to me and kinda fun! If you haven’t done that sort of thing a lot or at all I can understand you being a bit skittish about it. Think of all the great music you can listen to while driving from point A to point B!

The thing is, if I can get my shit straight I can possibly get a loan for a used car, just for the sake of moving, but my father was telling me that people usually have to get permission from the person they've got a debt to, in order to take it out of state, or move out of state with it. There's a lot of conditions involved in that strategy. But I would absolutely love to do that. My husband once mentioned that if he's got an upcoming 4-day weekend, he could potentially get a one-way to his hometown, and drive a couple thousand miles up North, pack up, and leave with me ... but really, that's such a stretch. I don't think it's something he'd be prepared for (and his driving scares me a little). I'd drive but his vehicle's a stick shift. Imagine that.

Then my father was talking one night, how he'd like to do it. But he drives a truck with an open bed, so he'd then need a tarp and he'd need my husband to reimburse him for gas and whatnot. So those are two things that have been discussed but probably hold no weight whatsoever.

I get it that if you’re young and don’t have a credit card it’s a huge pain in the a$$ to rent a car – I’m old and have a credit card and still find it a huge pain in the a$$ to rent a car so I don’t unless I absolutely have to like my recent trip where I needed to get around WI/IL – but if you can pull off renting a good size sedan for a one-way trip I would say go for it! I’m pretty sure 200 records albums can fit in a decent size four-door car plus you would have a certain amount of “climate control” for them?

A one-way for a few days would possibly cost a grand. The last time I rented, I picked the vehicle up on Friday and returned it Monday, to the same location. It was a little over 400$ just for that amount of time. It cost less because I was returning it to the same location, and it wasn't one of those mystery trips (the woman there was telling me about someone who took a car simply to Minneapolis, about 300 miles away, one way) that end up costing quite a bit. But yeah, even a little car could hold a lot of vinyl. And really, that's pretty much the only thing (apart from my incredible wardrobe of lovely outfits) I'm concerned with. Apart from my little box of letters, as well (yes, I write and receive lovely letters on a regular basis!).

Then there’s U-Haul. Obviously you can’t rent a trailer if you don’t have a vehicle – but what about the smallest of their enclosed moving trucks? Or a van?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get a quote. My husband was telling me that when he went into the army he rented a U-Haul van (from Florida to California) and it ended up costing him a couple grand. That's ... a little more than I'd hope for, especially for something I'd only be using for a few days.

In 1984 I rented a smallish U-Haul trailer, attached it to a car that by all rights should have left me stranded in the middle of nowhere ... and almost did ... we won’t contemplate that right now ... and drove from San Antonio, TX to Albuquerque, NM overnight. This included all my records at the time I’m pretty sure. I had no credit and had already closed my bank accounts so I’m assuming they took ca$h lol ... but then that was over 25 years ago and maybe U-Haul isn’t so trusting any more!

With the way the economy is, and the insurance rates ... it frightens me to even think.

SIGH the one really bad thing about the road trip method is the price of gas these days ...

3.87$ up north; when I was on vacation in Florida it was almost 5. Crazy.

As far as shipping ... I already see Greyhound is not considered an option ... I was ready to suggest that. Is there someone at the other end already who can receive your records? I would say use Fed EX GROUND or UPS GROUND and begin shipping your records ahead maybe 20-50 at a time or something like that to your friend at the other end. Do some research on exactly how they should be packed.

I won't be able to do that til my husband finds a flat.

And, a person has to wonder how vinyl was shipped back in the day, from the warehouse to the store. Surely there wasn't some sort of super technical way of doing it, ffs. Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Doing a little thinking out loud ... when I moved to San Antonio, TX about 30 years ago I shipped a bunch of stuff ahead of time, mostly UPS and a few boxes via Greyhound, didn’t really know what I was doing but everything got there and at that time I think I had “only” about 200 vinyl records. I know they got there ok come to think of it I have a picture of my then roommate’s cat checking out my records after I unpacked them! When I moved to Albuquerque a couple years later I sent some boxes ahead of me but mostly packed everything (not that much really) including my records (maybe about 300 at that point?) in the U-Haul trailer.

If only I lived in a civilized area where these things were readily available. I live in a small town, with only like 10,000 people. there's nothing but farms, cows, and rednecks for miles. It's horrible.

Then there’s some of the odd alternatives like bells was saying above ... do some networking and see if someone is driving out your way any time soon and can take your records with them ... or I think there used to be driving services or ppl advertising they would drive packages, etc. to your destination but maybe that’s not really done any more and it is tough to trust people you don’t know in situations like that.

I've been joking with some of my coworkers ... "Does anyone want to go on a road trip to California?" :tongue:

I hope you can somehow get your records to where you’re going. I think if you’re determined, it will happen!

Thank you! :grinthumb

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
A roadie is certainly the best (and most fun) way to do it, but I agree with the previous posters who suggested leaving them in the care of someone you totally trust until you're settled in. Once you're settled and all the chaos of making the move is gone, then you can make the proper arrangements to send for your treasures. Good luck.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online