Flower

retired
Reaction score
The 2010 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival line up

nojhf_logo.jpg

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Pearl Jam, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, Lionel Richie, The Neville Brothers, Allman Brothers Band, some interesting artists in the lineup, but how they're "jazz" is beyond me. I suppose that with the exception of Pearl Jam, they could all be defined as heritage though.

:D

Last edited:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Phish has also played at the Jazz Festival as has Jimmy Buffet and Bob Dylan ... They always have a gospel tent and a blues tent at the festival too...

I hear what you are saying but one has to consider that this is a major event every Spring and that it is an honor to play there.

Btw ~ Some people go there for the food tents alone .. :D

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Simon & Garfunkel to Star at First Weekend of New Orleans Jazz Fest

April 24 Performance To Be the Only 2010 U.S. Appearance by Legendary Duo
New Orleans, LA--"We are proud to announce that American music icons Simon & Garfunkel will be making their first-ever appearance at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival presented by Shell," event organizers said today. The Saturday, April 24 performance by Simon & Garfunkel at Jazz Fest will be the only chance to see the legendary duo in the U.S. this year. The Festival is scheduled for April 23-May 2, 2010.

“Over the years I've always enjoyed performing at Jazz Fest," said Paul Simon. “Everyone connected with the Festival, and in particular Quint Davis, has created an atmosphere that is both musical and enjoyable. I am looking forward to the opportunity to perform with my old friend Art Garfunkel at this year's Festival."

Simon & Garfunkel join previously announced artists Pearl Jam, Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, The Neville Brothers, Lionel Richie, Allman Brothers Band, Anita Baker, My Morning Jacket, Widespread Panic, Imagination Movers, B.B. King, Jeff Beck, Darius Rucker, Irma Thomas, Gipsy Kings, The Dead Weather, Elvis Costello & the Sugarcanes, The Black Crowes, Drake, Teena Marie, Keely Smith, Jonny Lang, Band of Horses, Allen Toussaint and hundreds more at the 41st edition of the beloved Festival. (A complete weekend-by-weekend schedule is available at nojazzfest.com. Jazz Fest's day-by-day schedule will be announced Wednesday, January 27.)

Simon & Garfunkel possess an unequaled and timeless songbook, and when they take the stage together at Jazz Fest on April 24 their wonderful blend of voices and energies will provide a once-in-a-lifetime thrill that only the best of live music performances can create.

“For Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel to agree to come together and create this historic Simon & Garfunkel concert for our Festival is not only a great honor, but it will bring to all who attend the rarest opportunity to experience the magic of one of America's greatest musical institutions," said Quint Davis, producer/director of Jazz Fest. “Thank you Paul and Artie, for bringing your special thrill to New Orleans. No American City can so relate to the need for a Bridge Over Troubled Water, and the power of being Homeward Bound."

Davis noted that Simon has a long history of being a part of Jazz Fest. “From his early visit to the Festival to experience the Neville Brothers in the 80's, to the thrill of his epic performance of Graceland, leading up to his never-to-be-forgotten closing-day set at the first post-Katrina Festival, Paul Simon has woven himself into the fabric of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival."

Tickets for the Festival, which takes place at the Fair Grounds Race Course, are on sale now through Ticketmaster. A limited number of discount ticket packages including tickets to each day of a particular weekend of the Festival are available. Ticket packages purchased for all three days of the first weekend (April 23, 24 & 25) will be $120 ($40 per day), while second weekend packages purchased for all four festival days (April 29, 30, May 1, & 2) will be $160 ($40 per day). (Tickets included in each package are day-specific.) Advance single day Jazz Fest tickets are only $45; the gate price is $60. Children's tickets (ages 2 - 10) are still only $5 and are available at the gate only. Single day tickets to Jazz Fest are on sale by specific weekend, with each ticket valid for a single day's attendance.

Tickets are available at nojazzfest.com and ticketmaster.com, at all Ticketmaster outlets or by calling (800) 745-3000. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Jazz Fest ticket office located at the New Orleans Arena Box Office or the Louisiana Superdome Box Office (Gate A, Ground Level). All Jazz Fest tickets are subject to additional service fees and handling charges.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Post some pictures if you go see them Flower...:grinthumb

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Some news and updates ~

Allman Brothers take it over the top at Jazz Fest

By Keith Spera, The Times-Picayune
April 25, 2010, 9:41PM

Under a glorious blue sky Sunday at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, a vast crowd bore witness to one of the great American bands still working at an extremely high level. Deep in the Allman Brothers Band's closing set at the Acura Stage, they built a mountain, then jumped off.

I'm not sure what song it was; it doesn't matter. But rock by rock, they constructed a long, improvisational passage on the interlocked foundation of drummer/percussionists Butch Trucks, Jaimoe Johanson and Marc Quinones.

Oteil Burbridge's bass functioned like a bulldozer. The guitars of Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes chiseled away, pulled up, then bit into the rock once again. And Gregg Allman filled in and bound it all together with his deep-soul organ. When they reached a peak, they rode the sonic climax over the top, savored the moment, then let it go and started climbing once again.

Derek Trucks used crutches when moving about the stage; he sat for the entire set. But his hands and fingers, blown up on the Acura Stage's three jumbo video screens for all to see, were operating at peak efficiency. He finger-picked and worked a slide across the strings in a succession of fleet solos. During his particularly articulate excursion in "Whipping Post," his uncle Butch grinned with pride from behind the drums.

Allman is Southern rock's iron man. At the outset of "Whipping Post," he shed his sunglasses, so that the setting sun burned right into his face and eyes - the better to appreciate the song's anguish. In "No One to Run With," his percolating organ bumps belied the melancholy of the lyrics. He stepped out front with an acoustic guitar for "Melissa": Haynes laid down a guitar solo like cut glass behind him.

Allman abused his body, and his voice, so badly in his younger years that it can apparently degrade no further; his gritty blues-rock wail is the vocal equivalent of Kevlar. During the final "One Way Out," he stretched out the "just MIGHT be your ma-aan, darlin'....I just don't know" to a degree that would have brought many a younger singer to his knees. Allman made it look easy

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Keely Smith jumps and jives Jazz Fest 2010

By Doug MacCash, The Times-Picayune
April 25, 2010, 10:17PM

MATTHEW HINTON / THE TIMES-PICAYUNE ~Keely Smith performs at the WWOZ Jazz Tent during the New Orleans Jazz Fest and Heritage Festival 2010 at the Fair Grounds Sunday April 25, 2010.I wish I could swing dance. It always looks so cool when people who really know the steps dance to somebody like Keely Smith, as they did in the aisles of the Jazz tent at the Jazz Fest presented by Shell this afternoon.

Smith is best known to New Orleans, as the one time wife and partner of the late Louis Prima, to whom this year's festival is dedicated. I've learned that Louis was the kinetic and comical half of their 1950s yin-yang stage act. Smith was the more dignified, less demonstrative partner. Louis' voice was as bouncy and gravely as Earhart Boulevard; Smith's was a smooth as a calm day on Bayou St. John.

Still is.

Wearing a scarlet jacket and her characteristic pixie hair cut, she stood more or less still near the Steinway, and belted them out: "Old Black Magic," "What Kind of Fool Am I," "Jump Jive and Wail." Her vocals were as clear and high as the stratosphere.

And just because she's not as manic as her impish former husband, doesn't mean Smith, who I've read was born in 1932 (though it's hard to believe), doesn't have a certain droll wit.
Time and again she had the audience laughing with asides. Though I didn't hear her say it myself (you know how it is at a concert, sometimes you don't hear the joke; you just hear the crowd around you laugh) the guy next to me said she threatened to "find a nice husband and settle down."

The crowd sang along to "Just a Gigolo."

My favorite part of the show was Smith's rendition of "You Go To My Head," a song I didn't know. It was transporting. I felt like I was really in touch with the era; hearing it how it aught to be done

-021a5358f6e471cf_medium.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online