2010 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival

Flower

retired
Reaction score
The Radiators jam on a set of pre-war blues at Jazz Fest

By Alison Fensterstock
April 25, 2010, 10:06PM

Keith I. Marszalek / NOLA.com ~The Radiators perform at the New Orleans Jazz Fest, Sunday, April 25, 2010.The Rads' Jazz Fest set today, titled "The Radiators Pre-War Blues," was a recreation of a recent Tipitina's blowout called the Radz Bluz Weekend. Drawing on the band's sizable repertoire of classic blues, they played two nights on Napoleon Avenue this past October as a benefit for the Tip's Foundation; one night dedicated to blues songs from before World War II, the other night to those recorded after.

At the Fest today, obviously, they chose to re-enact the pre-war set, but - anachronistic as it may have been - acoustic it was not. It salved the wound of missing Allen Toussaint's guest spot during Levon Helm's set quite a bit to see Ed Volker pound his electric piano during the traditional "Delia's Gone" - with the crowd dancing and spinning in the aisles, the set brought to mind Grateful Dead shows of yore (emphasis on the Dead's "American Beauty" - style blues-rock, not so much the spacey noodling.) Guitarist Camile Baudoin's fingers flew over a wild solo during an electrified, stomping closing cover of Blind Willie Johnson's "Let Your Light Shine On Me."

Ed Volker is a huge collector of vintage blues, and bassist Reggie Scanlan has done his time backing classic blues artists on California's chitlin circuit years ago, but this set was, happily, all the way Rad-icalized.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
The sun shined at Jazz Fest, even if Simon and Garfunkel's harmonies didn't

By Keith Spera, The Times-Picayune
April 24, 2010, 9:34PM

25jazzfest1-11e862b5466a62f9_large.jpg

The meteorological apocalypse predicted for Saturday bypassed the New Orleans Jazz Fest entirely. By mid-afternoon, the sun even broke through the clouds. Thus, thousands of fans stomped through the residual mud from Friday's monsoons en route to the Acura Stage, site of Simon & Garfunkel's first performance since 2004.

Paul Simon is a Jazz Fest veteran, having last performed in 2006. Art Garfunkel was making his debut at the Fair Grounds.

Their songs, inextricably linked to the tumult of the late 1960s, speak directly to the Baby Boomer demographic. And those songs, in their idealized form, are rendered with soaring vocal harmonies.

At Jazz Fest, the visual cues were there: Simon's fedora. Garfunkel's untucked button-down shirt, accessorized with a skinny purple tie/scarf.

Unfortunately, for much of the set, Garfunkel's voice wasn't.

His high tenor is his stock in trade; it is what distinguishes Simon & Garfunkel from Simon. But as he acknowledged, his voice was elusive on Saturday. Before "My Little Town," Simon asked his partner if he was up to the challenge. "He said he doesn't know," Simon reported. So he requested, and received, support from the audience.

The duo arrived on stage behind a brass band, a nod to the show's host city. They and their band opened with the frantic electric guitars of "A Hazy Shade of Winter." Simon promised a set of "old songs, and really old songs."

Their band, stocked with an abundance of South African musicians, swung out on "Keep the Customer Satisfied" as a fretless bass burbled. Horns burnished "Slip Slidin' Away." A detour into "Not Fade Away" highlighted an otherwise lukewarm "Mrs. Robinson."

"El Condor Pasa" was especially tough for Garfunkel; his voice seemed on the verge of evaporating completely. He fared better in the mystical "Scarborough Fair," with the duo's voices set against a cello and chimes.

Mid-show, Garfunkel left the stage during a segment of Simon's solo hits. Curlicue guitar lines dressed up "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"; during a percussion breakdown, Simon led an uptempo clap-along that ignited the vast crowd. He and the band continued through "Boy in the Bubble," "That Was Your Mother" and "The Only Living Boy in New York," a show highlight.

After Garfunkel's return, they progressed toward an encore of "The Sound of Silence" and "The Boxer." For a final, joyous "Cecilia," trumpeter Terence Blanchard, clarinetist Michael White and zydeco bandleader Rockin' Dopsie Jr. joined in, completing a Big Easy bookend.

But for Simon and Garfunkel, for whom so much water has passed under the bridge, the show's watershed moment was likely "Bridge Over Troubled Water." It was arranged for just voice and piano; any vocal miscues would be laid bare, and painfully obvious.

At the "From the Big Apple to the Big Easy" benefit concert in New York weeks after Hurricane Katrina, the duo performed "Bridge Over Troubled Water" with Aaron Neville. That night, Garfunkel said he didn't think the song had ever meant more.

But at Jazz Fest, as Garfunkel struggled, such lyrics as, "I'm on your side, when times get rough...I'll take your part, when darkness is all around," resonated on a personal level. With Simon clasping his shoulder in support, Garfunkel rose to the occasion, harmonizing with his partner.

At the song's conclusion, Simon and Garfunkel were both giddy. They exchanged warm smiles, clasped hands and embraced, relieved -- and not just because of the weather.

Contact music writer Keith Spera at [email protected] or 504.826.3470. Read him online at New Orleans Music News, Listings and Updates - NOLA.com

Flower

retired
Reaction score
^^^ What the fans said ~

April 24, 2010, 10:33PM
I believe I heard him say ; he was sick. When he asked if he was up for it =he meant was he feeling better.Garfunkel has said he had lost his voice if you paid attention.

Posted by mlewis6
April 24, 2010, 11:13PM
Simon & Garfunkel weren't just for baby boomers today! I'm 18, and I felt like I was surrounded by people born way after "Bridge Over Trouble Water" came out. Everyone, young and old, was rocking out, singing every song, and enjoying themselves! Goes to show they are a true classic passing from one generation to the next!

Posted by surfpuckmd
April 24, 2010, 11:22PM
I thought they sounded really good. They didn't attempt the high notes but I wouldn't have expected them to. These were musical legends performing some of the most complex and beautiful songs in American history. Tens of thousands of people were singing along. This was one of my best Jazz Fest experiences. Art Garfunkel's admitted that he had laryngitis and still did great...this should not be judged as if it were American Idol.

Posted by pegoot
April 25, 2010, 1:40AM
For those who find the cost of a jazz fest ticket a little pricey, I found out online that Simon & Garfunkle are going on a Canadian tour. Tickets start at $240.

I'm in the "docker's demographic" and although Garfunkle's voice wasn't what it was in the sixties, just witnessing the performance of this great legend will stand out as one of my greatest Jazz Fest moments.

Posted by jpbadeaux
April 25, 2010, 7:00AM
Well hell, no, it's not the 1960's. Is anyone up to the challenge of sounding 40 years younger than they are? S&G was amazing.... Yes, they are older and yes, they can't sing like they used to (though Simon seems to be able to a bit more than G). Give them a break. As a previous poster said, some pay $240 to see them. They were lagniappe for us and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.... or $240 if that what's it would have taken me. No one can melt your heart like Art.

Posted by jpbadeaux
April 25, 2010, 7:08AM
Well hell, no, it's not the 1960's. Is anyone up to the challenge of sounding 40 years younger than they are? S&G was amazing.... Yes, they are older and yes, they can't sing like they used to (though Simon seems to be able to a bit more than G). Give them a break. As a previous poster said, some pay $240 to see them. They were lagniappe for us and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.... or $240 if that what's it would have taken me. No one can melt your heart like Art.

Posted by oracle2005
April 25, 2010, 8:05AM
I was there and enjoyed the performance and experience.

Live never sounds as good as a studio recording. Expecting it to sets one up for a disappointment.

I told those we went with exactly that and they said they knew that. They were going for the experience, one teenager in our group pointed out it will probably be the last time we get to see them live.

The questions and all that matters is was the audience satisfied? A resounding YES!

Posted by commander47
April 25, 2010, 8:18AM
A little to critical there Kieth; they were simply awesome!!!!

Posted by 429exit
April 25, 2010, 9:21AM
sorry there keith, the majority speeks. maybe you're just tone deaf.

Posted by lolarites
April 25, 2010, 10:03AM
You go right ahead and say what ever you want, Keith. We don't pay attention to anything you say anyway.

Posted by rickmorgan80
April 25, 2010, 10:26AM
Wow Keith, you have the most die hard S & G fans posting here. I was at the show and your description was completley accurate. I was looking forward to seeing them as they are one of the few I hadn't seen live. They made James Taylor seem like ozzy osbourn. You couldn't hear them because they were so low. Felt sorry for Art. They don't need to tour Canada. They need to retire. Great book of American classics. Simon though loves new Orleans and we love that. Art, we love you too.

Posted by Still Crazy
April 25, 2010, 10:32AM
.......time, time, time, see what's become of me.....

Posted by oracle2005
April 25, 2010, 10:44AM
I saw the Rolling Stones ~1975. Billy Preston stole the show. I was very disappointed, they were disorganized, out of tune and had no idea what they were going to play next.

It was then that I realized don't expect live to match the performance/sound of a studio, ain't gonna happen.

I also felt the Rolling Stones should retire back in 1975, but I was wrong.

The most important thing was the audience in 1975 was happy with the Stone's performance and so was everyone around me at Simon and Garfunkel yesterday.

I don't know of anyone who regreted going. If you want to hear what they sounded like in 1969 play an album. Digital even today leaves out a lot of the sound.

Posted by Grrlyfern
April 25, 2010, 1:23PM
Right you are. In a hoarse voice, garfunkel said to the crowd that he was having some trouble with his voice, and said 'But i'll do the best I can, OK?" and we all applauded.

wish I'd stuck around, but I left for the Jazz Tent after diamonds on the soles of my shoes--Simon hadn't cracked a smile once, and really hadn't warmed to the crowd, though he's played Fest before and is familiar with NOLA. I'm glad things warmed up--friends have said it got much much better.

osted by freelancer
April 25, 2010, 6:02PM
Garfunkel apologized mid-set for being sick and hoarse. In fact, he said he had considered canceling the performance because his voice was not at its best, but he said he just didn't want to miss his first Jazz Fest appearance. I think the crowd understood and was more than supportive. I personally appreciated his willingness to give it an effort, so even though his voice couldn't really do justice to songs like "Bridge Over Troubled Water," it didn't matter to me because Art gave it everything he had. Great show!

Posted by Patty
April 25, 2010, 7:54PM
I was there, and it was fantastic! It was a once in a lifetime chance to see these artists performing together again, live, and at the Jazz Fest! Wow. Too bad you, Keith, did not appreciate what you were witnessing. There were thousands of people there who did, as evidenced by their complete silence during "Bridge", and by the resounding cheering for Mr. Garfunkle. And not one but two encores.
Shame on you, Keith, for being so critical. A little respect goes a long way. You could learn to show some.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Jazz Fest Live ~

Check the above link for some great music.

Welcome to Jazz Fest Live

Here you'll find over a hundred live recordings from the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, covering a huge variety of genres and artists incuding recent Grammy Nominee: The Pineleaf Boys. Since the 35th annual Jazz Fest in 2004 we've recorded dozens of live concerts every year. The recordings are produced by munckmix using high quality digital multi-track equipment, and are available on both CDs and downloads here at JazzFestLive.com. For a great sample of the Jazz Fest experience, check out any of the multi-disc compilation albums, including the most recent 2009 Compilation Album with 30 live tracks by 30 of this year's performers.

Scroll down the page, or search for a specific artist in the search bar to find the music you want. CDs ship in in a few days, downloads are available immediately. You can choose from two DRM-free download formats - MP3 [256Kbps] and FLAC later during check-out.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Earth Wind and Fire stages an old school dance party at the New Orleans Jazz Fest

By Keith Spera, The Times-Picayune
April 30, 2010, 8:56PM

As Lionel Richie is to Fats Domino, Earth Wind & Fire is to Aretha Franklin.

Following Domino's last-minute cancellation at the 2006 New Orleans Jazz Fest, Richie filled in at the Acura Stage with a smooth, polished and highly entertaining set of '70s R&B.

Four years later, EW&F performed the same function in the wake of Franklin's unexplained absence. Franklin has now been booked by, and backed out of, Jazz Fest two consecutive years. With all due R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to her tremendous legacy, that's twice too many.

Not that most folks who spent 90 minutes grooving to Earth Wind & Fire under gray skies seemed to miss her. EW&F hails from an era when R&B bands were required to be actual bands who put on an actual show. Forty years in, they still are, and still do.

Singer Philip Bailey, bassist/perpetual motion machine Verdine White and percussionist/vocalist Ralph Johnson remain from the band's classic 1972 lineup. Backing them is an equally electric ensemble of horns, percussion and guitars. They jazzed up arrangements with Eddie Van Halen-esque hammer-ons and sax solos. In "Sing a Song," they lined up for choreographed kicks, for which White's fringed pants were especially well-suited.

"A lot of ya'll were conceived on Earth Wind and Fire music," Bailey observed. "That makes us your musical godfathers."

He can still hit most high notes he attempts - and he attempts them often. Bailey also broke out a kalimba, an African thumb piano often deployed in EW&F songs. Herb Albert-style horns dressed up the ballad "After the Love Has Gone."

They reprised their hit 1978 cover of the Beatles "Got To Get You Into My Life," and a litany of their own signature songs: "September." "Shining Star." "That's the Way of the World."

The dance party was officially on. The musicians sweated on stage, but appeared to be having as much fun as anyone.

By the end of "Let's Groove," much of the Acura Stage audience was jumping up and down in a mass calisthenics exercise.

Aretha who?

Flower

retired
Reaction score
B.B. King needs a larger venue at New Orleans Jazz Fest

By Alison Fensterstock

May 02, 2010, 7:44PM

Last summer, I visited the excellent museum dedicated to B.B. King in his hometown of Indianola, Mississippi. In the three hours I spent, nobody else was there. It was pretty lovely time spent alone with the music of the man who helped invent the searing, urban Chicago electric blues guitar sound.

That was not the case at the Blues Tent today. Arriving halfway through King's set, the crowd was spilling out all sides, butting up against the beer stands and spilling into the craft area. (Did he not merit the Gentilly Stage? It was tough in there.)

As King ended "Rock Me Baby," it was getting rough near the entrance of the side-stage guest area. It was overcrowded, and security was not allowing any more fans through the barricade. More than one attendee, tired from a long, rainy day at the Fairgrounds, got snippy; I heard a great deal of invective directed at the security guard about how important peoples' various lanyards, stickers and badges were. It didn't matter. They weren't getting in.

When it appeared a fistfight was about to start between two fans who had bumped into each other attempting to squeeze through the crowd, the hit "The Thrill Is Gone" was beginning onstage and the thrill was definitely gone in the crowd.

Assuming it'd be the closer, I started to make my way out. Then, from the stage, I heard the unmistakable notes of former Louisiana governor Jimmie Davis' "You Are My Sunshine." The mood started to lighten. When the Blues Boy directed his horn section to kick into "Saints," the tension and crankiness lifted; King lounged Lucille on his thigh, holding court from his chair, as fans raised their rain umbrellas to second-line in place.

I guess in 60-odd years of performing, you learn a little something about reading your audience.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
B.B. King needs a larger venue at New Orleans Jazz Fest

Well I for one am glad there are still so many who appreciate B.B. King and his music for the legends that they are! :grinthumb

Attachments

• A BB.jpg
    A BB.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Jazz and jambalaya! What a great combo!

jambalaya.jpg

I can't think of a better venue for a jazz fest than New Orleans.

:****:

Flower

retired
Reaction score
^^^^ Now I'm really hungry and have to make some jambalaya later in the week ....

The food booths at the Jazz Fest are wonderful .. some people go just to sample the food.

from their website ~

Nowhere else will you come across such matchless cuisine as found at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. The Food Fair offers classic New Orleans staples and over time has expanded to include Creole and Cajun offerings as well as international cuisine

The dizzying array of choices extends beyond pot-cooked favorites such as shrimp and okra gumbo, meaty white beans, crawfish bisque, oyster Rockefeller bisque, and sausage macque choux to New Orleans’ famous po-boy sandwiches stuffed with anything from fried local crawfish with jalapenos to luscious cochon de lait. Savories include shrimp cocktail, fried green tomatoes, Creole hot tamales, fried oyster spinach salad, and catfish almondine. Don’t forget to try such highly portable crowd pleasers as fried chicken livers with pepper jelly, turkey giardinera po-boy, Creole stuffed crab, cracklin and hot sausage po-boy. Take a mini vacation and sample some of our extraordinary international cuisine from Vietnam, Japan, Tunisia and Mexico. Indulge your sweet tooth with sweet potato cookies, banana bread pudding, pecan pie, couscous with yogurt sauce, spumoni, and lemon pound cake. Look also for new items in our popular child friendly menu in the kid’s area including cupcakes and corn on the cob.

In addition to the many fine foods offered, there are two cooking stages at the Grandstand demonstrating our rich culinary history, and offering samples of signature dishes featuring local ingredients from celebrated chefs, farmers, fishermen, and home cooks.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online